Random Hardware topics

Page 13 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Gamers can rejoice. No E-cores ^^

nvlbTypw4UhhVv3Z.jpg

I thought @ZedClampet had a question around somewhere about needing an NPU, but I can't find it.

From what I understand of this video, its likely we already have a processor in our desktop that is way better at the job than an NPU - Our GPU

NPU more useful for low power devices like phones and laptops, not Desktop PC that can have more of everything

Its why there are no desktop CPU with NPU now. Microsoft could in theory allow co pilot to run on GPU.

I thought @ZedClampet had a question around somewhere about needing an NPU, but I can't find it.
Don't remember this, but I may have asked if it was going to be in non-gaming PC's. I already run all sorts of AI on my laptops using my GPUs. I'm assuming they want AI in every computer and it might be cheaper using an integrated solution than putting GPUs in all computers.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Wireless USB Mouse interference

Hah, ran into a USB interference thing just now. My external backup drive wouldn't show in my file manager when I plugged it into usual USB port, so popped it into another where it worked and I started the backup.

Almost immediately Logi mouse started skittering—I'd put the drive in right beside the Logi dongle. Paused the backup, but didn't help. Changed both to be as far away from each other as possible on the USB panel on top of my case…
ABCDE
…where A is drive and E mouse, and all is well.

Tips
♣ Keep wireless mouse dongle in the nearest USB port to the mouse—distance matters.
♦ Keep drive USB connectors as far from other USB items as possible—when transferring data, drives use a lot of power and may overwhelm the entire USB panel's power capacity… but nearest ports are extra vulnerable to disruption.
♥ If case front or top USBs are glitching, connect heavy power-draw items like drives to the back of the PC case—USB ports there are usually 'stronger'.

Reactions: Why_Me
They probably using the same controller. That can also cause communication issues. All connections on the front of case run off a connection on mb whereas the ones on back are hardwired.

USB devices can also mess with GPU as well as they all run by the same chip on motherboard. If one is playing up it can cause other items in PC to seem to be problem. I have had it myself, a mouse I owned was causing GPU drivers to fail.

The logitech dongle for my mouse is attached to the charging cable and sits underneath my display so I can easily unplug from wire and plug mouse in the charge it. The only dongle I have problems stay in touch with is for my keyboard. Hence I just use bluetooth on keyboard. The cable is attached to back of motherboard since that is closest to me. The way my pc is set up, the front is further away from me than rear of case.

its pretty rare. I haven't seen anyone else with it, but its always at back of my mind. One day it might happen.

I have also had my speakers cause GPU drivers to not load at startup. That was fun to fix as I had just got a new GPU and wasn't sure if it was cause or not. I only worked that out as I reinstalled windows, everything was fine until I attached speakers and it started again... I was not amused, they were good speakers. They had always worked before, but were probably due for retirement.

It seems as soon as you replace something in pc, something else breaks. Could be down to a change is power draw. I am not touching my PC this year.

"new" speakers are almost as old as they were now. Time flies. I don't plan on buying any more next time, I have other ideas :)

It depends how much it costs, and if it makes sense. I mean, you don't have to pay for updates now.

Faber's focus seems to be mostly on keeping its software up-to-date, since the mouse itself would be "fantastic-quality" and "well-designed," like a Rolex watch that you never have to upgrade.

So if its just software, its only useful once Logitech stop supporting the mouse/whatever. You can get drivers for free now. Are they signalling a change to that? putting drivers behind a paywall is one way to stop me buying their hardware again. Don't need companies starting that crap. I don't want everything to be tied to a subscription.

Pay for mouse once, get drivers free is model. When mice can last up to 8 or more years, its value for money. I don't want to pay yearly thanks.

I had a Logiech Keyboard before, it was supported by Logitech Gaming Software but once they swapped to using G Hub it stopped. Would a subscription mean the old drivers work forever? That will mean releasing driver versions for potentially out of date windows...

If it offered upgrades to the hardware, if such things occurred, I might be interested. Maybe

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS