Random Game Thoughts Thread—November 27-December 03

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
A couple of turns later and I've defeated both armies of the Dark Elves that joined the war. I retook the settlement they took from me and their settlement next to it, which made them decide to turn back and I was able to ambush their main army. After that it was trivial to retake the other settlement they grabbed and the second, smaller army they had there. After that they asked for a peace treaty, which I accepted as Naggarond was getting ready to attack and I needed both armies to defend.

Sadly I was just too late to save the army I had stationed at the border with Naggarond, but just in time to take revenge. I also got an offer from some Norscans to join the war against Naggarond for 200, so hopefully that'll keep them busy until I have my second army back and can push into their lands. By that time I'll also almost have my third army and some better military buildings, which should help.

My growth is lacking because my settlements kept getting razed or conquered, but at least the constant war means my characters are pretty high level.

Lately I haven't really found anything that's been sticking, so I've mostly just been defaulting to Forza Horizon 5. However, I did just start up another playthrough of The Witcher 2. With TW3 next-gen update coming out in two weeks, I figure it's a good time to play TW2 again in preparation (although it is probably going to be a decent amount of time before I actually get around to another playthrough of TW3 as it's such a large time commitment). TW2 is an excellent game and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the Witcher but started with the 3rd game. TW3 is probably my favorite game of all time, but I think TW2 isn't very far behind. I believe it's a can't-miss game if you like the universe.

Windows key locked
Sadly, this had no effect. Tried it with driver, and via SharpKeys.

Far Cry 6

Disappointed with the lack of Fast Travel places here, much fewer so far than in FC5. Are they pushing us foot soldiers into vehicles and onto horses? Do we want that? Neigh!

There is a thing called Hideout Network which may help with this—I haven't figured it out yet, but sounds like I somehow acquire a network of 'safe houses' across the map, which hopefully will also be FT points.

You acquire this Hideout Network at a regional HQ, of which there are 3 in the game. Baddie structure is same as FC5—Big Bad and 3 Little Bads, each with their own map region. I got my first regional HQ—Monteros in Madrugada, the NW region—and discovered the 6 Guerilla Camps I can build.

So I clicked on the 6 to build 'em—I had loads of the required resources, the spoils of a warlike progress to that point—only to discover that you can only build 2 in each regional HQ! Oh well, that's the purpose of this first playthru anyway, to discover if the game is replay-worthy and figure out the systems.

Sadly, this had no effect. Tried it with driver, and via SharpKeys.
Sorry, I thought there was a good chance that might be the problem.

Far Cry 6

Disappointed with the lack of Fast Travel places here, much fewer so far than in FC5. Are they pushing us foot soldiers into vehicles and onto horses? Do we want that? Neigh!

There is a thing called Hideout Network which may help with this—I haven't figured it out yet, but sounds like I somehow acquire a network of 'safe houses' across the map, which hopefully will also be FT points.

You acquire this Hideout Network at a regional HQ, of which there are 3 in the game. Baddie structure is same as FC5—Big Bad and 3 Little Bads, each with their own map region. I got my first regional HQ—Monteros in Madrugada, the NW region—and discovered the 6 Guerilla Camps I can build.

So I clicked on the 6 to build 'em—I had loads of the required resources, the spoils of a warlike progress to that point—only to discover that you can only build 2 in each regional HQ! Oh well, that's the purpose of this first playthru anyway, to discover if the game is replay-worthy and figure out the systems.
All I really want to know about Far Cry 6 is, is it kind of overkill with cheesiness? Like is Far Cry now bordering on Saints Row silliness?

Reactions: Pifanjr
Far Cry 6 … now bordering on Saints Row silliness?
I doubt it, but I wouldn't know—I never played Saints Row as it seemed far too silly to me :D

But I haven't noticed any over-the-top stuff, if that's what you mean—FC has always had its unscripted crazy cameos coming out of left field, but they're just occasional LOLs.

ETA: DLCs are a different story, most of those are crazy to me.

Far Cry 6 free trial

Best thing is check out the free trial:
"Far Cry 6 gets a free trial for new players starting today on Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, as well as Windows PC through the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games Store "

Reactions: Pifanjr

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Congrats to Poland getting to knock-out—but bit of an ouch with France :(

Thanks, congrats to England as well. :) No one in my country is pleased with the style of our national team though. It's a success that we managed to get out of the group, but I'd prefer a better level of play and loosing. Our current coach prefers an ultra-defensive style and it's very hard to watch sometimes. It's a shame that the potential of Lewandowski and Zieliński goes to a waste... :( I'm quite pessimistic when it comes to match with France. TBH it'll be good if we loose only 2:0. On the other hand, the pressure will be on the French side, because we don't have to do anything now and they have to win. So who knows...

I doubt it, but I wouldn't know—I never played Saints Row as it seemed far too silly to me :D

But I haven't noticed any over-the-top stuff, if that's what you mean—FC has always had its unscripted crazy cameos coming out of left field, but they're just occasional LOLs.

ETA: DLCs are a different story, most of those are crazy to me.

Far Cry 6 free trial

Best thing is check out the free trial:
"Far Cry 6 gets a free trial for new players starting today on Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, as well as Windows PC through the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games Store "
Last time I bit on one of Ubi's free trials it was The Division, and I regretted ending up buying it, even though I only paid $12 for it. The trial was very misleading and did not BEGIN to show what a horrible grind that game is to get the necessary gear to do well in it. Granted, their games not designed for MP typically aren't the tiered loot crap they've been cranking out, but still, Ubi are changing a lot of even their SP campaigns into silly, fantasy Sci Fi crap, like what they did with Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Thanks, congrats to England as well. :) No one in my country is pleased with the style of our national team though. It's a success that we managed to get out of the group, but I'd prefer a better level of play and loosing. Our current coach prefers an ultra-defensive style and it's very hard to watch sometimes. It's a shame that the potential of Lewandowski and Zieliński goes to a waste... :( I'm quite pessimistic when it comes to match with France. TBH it'll be good if we loose only 2:0. On the other hand, the pressure will be on the French side, because we don't have to do anything now and they have to win. So who knows...
As much as I was sympathizing with Poland on staying in, when they showed the tail end of the Mexico vs Saudi Arabia match, I had to think Mexico is the better team. Seamed unfair they got knocked out when they scored 2 goals to Poland's none, especially since Mexico won their match and Poland lost. I do understand though they go on accumulative goals and other stats, but still, Mexico is clearly the better team vs Poland.

Anyway, as far as our team goes, here's hoping Christian Pulisic can play in our match tomorrow against the Netherlands, and be a contributing factor again. I can't help but think we're going to really need him. This is kind of a crazy World Cup year though, where the big teams like Belgium, Germany, and now Mexico, are already knocked out, and teams like USA and Japan are advancing. So the teams not expected to go far now have high hopes.

Also Sarafan, I completely agree with your assessment of how Poland is being coached, and that it's a waste of their top players. England played our USA team the same way, maybe because they've never beaten us before in the World Cup, but it doesn't help to sit back on numerous possessions and play ticky tack passing the ball back and forth in hopes it will set up a successful attack. They did better in the 2nd half being more aggressive, but it still ended in a draw.

I have to say as well, one telling moment in our match against Iran was when their goalie very nearly accidentally had one of our guys intercept one of his passes to another one of their players near their goal. This is the kind of thing that can happen when a team gets too defensive. They start losing their confidence, get nervous, and often make costly mistakes.

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I had to think Mexico is the better team.

Probably it is. Mexico presents a little more offensive football which is always nice to watch. The whole paradox of this situation is that Polish team reached 1/8 finals of World Cup for the first time in more than 30 years IIRC and yet we have a discussion about changing our coach. This happens very rarely when a team achieves its goal. It's justified IMHO, but unusual nevertheless. A lot depends on the match with France. If we won't be able to construct 3-4 good situations in attack, then I don't see any other option than dismissal of the coach. Unless he advances to quarter-finals somehow...

horrible grind that game is to get the necessary gear to do well
There definitely is grind if you want to get top gear, sort of similar to the RPG style of New Dawn. Of course it all depends what you mean by "do well"—I imagine cruising comfortably on Easy isn't quite your idea :)—but I'm having no trouble with just 2 early weapons.

silly, fantasy Sci Fi
Nah, it's standard FC setup, good guy dropped into isolated place ruled by bad guys. The in-game date is 2020.

You might think silly stuff from the 'Supremo' you'll have seen in pics and videos—that's the backpack rocket launcher gimmick. I could do without that—I've used it twice, once to test and once from pressing the wrong key. It's overpowered so I don't use it, same as I don't use more normal rocket launchers or machine guns.

Other than that, there's nothing weird in the 19% of the game I've completed.

team reached 1/8 finals of World Cup for the first time in more than 30 years IIRC and yet we have a discussion about changing our coach
Only time Ireland reached the 1/4s—in 1990—we became the team which progressed the furthest in a WC without winning a match… we didn't want to upset anyone by beating them, you understand. Team got a huge reception back in Dublin and Jack Charlton could've become king, president—or even replaced St Patrick as patron saint :)

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Only time Ireland reached the 1/4s—in 1990—we became the team which progressed the furthest in a WC without winning a match… we didn't want to upset anyone by beating them, you understand. Team got a huge reception back in Dublin and Jack Charlton could've become king, president—or even replaced St Patrick as patron saint :)

So you're from Ireland, not from England? I was pretty much sure that you're from England. :) Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:
Been trying out Yakuza: Like a Dragon on Game Pass and so far I like the main story and characters a lot. I also like the new fighting system that is turned-based. In for example Yakuza 0 you had to fight on the go and it definitely did not work out for me. I'm looking forward to trying out the different mini-games now that I am unlocking more of the city. I also cross my fingers that you can sit down and eat at restaurants like you can in Yakuza 0, I like those eating/drinking cut-scenes.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Ugh. OK, I'm done with Yakuza 3. I got to the final boss, but I don't even want to try to beat the guy - I just don't care enough. Instead, I YouTube'd the ending and did my face-palming without having to work for it.

The story that started to get good, didn't get better. Majima outright vanished halfway through the story - how do you waste a character like that!? Meanwhile, they kept pounding me with kids' issues. This is the first of the games that just got a make-over instead of the "Kiwami" treatment that 1 and 2 got, so the fighting system, the graphics, and even the mini-games took a hit. I couldn't even tell you where the cabaret is that I was supposed to be running. B L A H!

P.S. 2's tradition of having dying people talk forever continued. One guy was shot right through the heart but managed to go on and on for about five minutes of halting dialog.

TRENDING THREADS