Quake 1 in modern times

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Aug 8, 2020
I want to try the original Quake series, but I'm a bit hesitant after finding the original DOOM games to be completely unplayable due to their age.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Jan 14, 2020
I want to try the original Quake series, but I'm a bit hesitant after finding the original DOOM games to be completely unplayable due to their age.
Don't get discouraged! Q1 is more modern than Doom. There's a built-in mouse look and after configuring controls you can play the game like a modern title. Check the posts in this thread. You'll find information how to unleash full potential of the game. I suggest starting with QuakeSpasm source port. It's as close to the original as possible, but offers widescreen resolutions and full hardware compatibility.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020
Loved Quake when I was younger and saw it on sale on GOG.
But since i'm careful with both my money and time decided to check out some gameplay videos and boy, it didn't age well.
I'll just keep my nostalgia glasses on, thank you.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Jan 14, 2020
Loved Quake when I was younger and saw it on sale on GOG.
But since i'm careful with both my money and time decided to check out some gameplay videos and boy, it didn't age well.
I'll just keep my nostalgia glasses on, thank you.
Did you check the Quake HD Pack mod compilation? It makes Q1 look quite modern. :)

Jan 13, 2020
Well I finally finished Mission Pack 2 Dissolution of Eternity. Some interesting level design here and a different style of music than the previous installments. Was sad I couldn't find the laser gun anywhere, but there are plenty of other upgraded weapons to play around with. All and all a good time and plenty of levels with plenty of secrets to discover.

Reactions: Sarafan

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS