Quake 1 in modern times

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I want to try the original Quake series, but I'm a bit hesitant after finding the original DOOM games to be completely unplayable due to their age.

Don't get discouraged! Q1 is more modern than Doom. There's a built-in mouse look and after configuring controls you can play the game like a modern title. Check the posts in this thread. You'll find information how to unleash full potential of the game. I suggest starting with QuakeSpasm source port. It's as close to the original as possible, but offers widescreen resolutions and full hardware compatibility.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
Loved Quake when I was younger and saw it on sale on GOG.
But since i'm careful with both my money and time decided to check out some gameplay videos and boy, it didn't age well.
I'll just keep my nostalgia glasses on, thank you.

Well I finally finished Mission Pack 2 Dissolution of Eternity. Some interesting level design here and a different style of music than the previous installments. Was sad I couldn't find the laser gun anywhere, but there are plenty of other upgraded weapons to play around with. All and all a good time and plenty of levels with plenty of secrets to discover.

Reactions: Sarafan
Anyone else playing the recently released Quake Enhanced (Remastered)? I never heard of these other two expansions 'Dimension of the Past' and 'Dimension of the Machine'. Anyways, Nightdive has done a fantastic job once again, so far fantastic and I am playing this on the modern i9-9900K w/ RTX 3080 rig at 4K.

I'm hearing that some cut content made it into this release, including John Romero's original Episode 2 Mission 6 intended level design originally cut due to the 1.4MB limit to map size, that in itself is worth checking out as it probably would be the largest level in the original game.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Anyone else playing the recently released Quake Enhanced (Remastered)? I never heard of these other two expansions 'Dimension of the Past' and 'Dimension of the Machine'. Anyways, Nightdive has done a fantastic job once again, so far fantastic and I am playing this on the modern i9-9900K w/ RTX 3080 rig at 4K.

I'm hearing that some cut content made it into this release, including John Romero's original Episode 2 Mission 6 intended level design originally cut due to the 1.4MB limit to map size, that in itself is worth checking out as it probably would be the largest level in the original game.

Yes, i am playing it as well and i agree they did a good job, its fun going back, i was also happy to find out that it was free for me since ive had quake on steam since forever lol. Runs well at 4k for me too and im using a 4790k with a 3070ti lol

Reactions: Volley

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I'm waiting for a GOG release, because I own Q1 on this platform only. The developers didn't do anything more than the modders. In fact Quake HD Pack which I linked in the first post, gives a much better effect than this remaster. Honestly, I expected a full scale remake or even a reboot of the series. But a remaster is better than nothing I guess... It's always good when people are talking about Q1 these days. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Volley

TRENDING THREADS