Question Prebuilt PC died after 3 months. How to prevent re-occurance?

Sep 25, 2023
Visit site
So I bought a prebuilt MSI gaming PC and it died after 3 months. I am trying to figure out what happened and how I can prevent it from happening again.

Specs: CPU: Intel Core™ i7-13700KF Motherboard: MSI Z690 CPU Cooling: Liquid 240 Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6 Memory: 32GB DDR5 (16GB x 2) PSU: 750W 80 Gold Plus (Replaced with 1000W 80 Gold Plus)

So I was gaming no problem, but my PC would shut off trying to launch any Ubisoft game. I assumed this was a PSU issue and replaced it. It worked! I was happily gaming on it then experienced repeated crashes playing Starfield. It got so bad that the PC started BSODing before windows could load.

I took it into a shop and confirmed it was hardware failure. It was then narrowed down to either CPU or Motherboard.

I suspect that the repeated shutdowns from the original PSU affected the hardware. Is it also possible that transients from the power grid affected the PC?

I would like some advice on steps I can take in the future to prevent a reoccurance. It is also possible I just got a lemon. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU: 750W 80 Gold Plus (Replaced with 1000W 80 Gold Plus)
You might want to pass on the make and models of the units that you've used to power your build. Advertised wattage and advertised 80+ efficiency ratings aren't the only things you look for when purchasing a PSU to power a build.

I bought a prebuilt MSI gaming PC
Prebuilt by the shop or a MSI rebuilt system? There's a difference between the two.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Sep 25, 2023
Visit site

You might want to pass on the make and models of the units that you've used to power your build. Advertised wattage and advertised 80+ efficiency ratings aren't the only things you look for when purchasing a PSU to power a build.

Prebuilt by the shop or a MSI rebuilt system? There's a difference between the two.
The 1000W PSU is an MSI MPG A1000G PCIE 5.

Not sure about the 750W. It came with the MSI prebuild and I already RMA'd it.

It's an MSI branded pre-build. I bought it from a retail store. Here's the exact model: MSI Aegis RS RTX4080 13th Gen Gaming Desktop 13NUG-425US

If I were you, I'd have returned the entire unit, then picked something that had a higher wattage PSU out of the box instead of now(seemingly walking down a path of RMA'ing other parts in your build).

In retrospect, if the prior PSU was also an MSI unit, then 750W would've been fine all along.

It got so bad that the PC started BSODing before windows could load.
That can and will indicate that the OS is corrupt, if you're seeing a BSOD before booting into the OS. Can you confirm if this is the motherboard in your prebuilt;
?

Reactions: D10S
I suspect that the repeated shutdowns from the original PSU affected the hardware.

They wouldn't have helped windows either. BSOD before start up doesn't really tell us anything as its... not specific enough. There are 255 or more BSOD codes, so knowing which ones you had would narrow down the cause.

So I bought a prebuilt MSI gaming PC and it died after 3 months. I am trying to figure out what happened and how I can prevent it from happening again.
if it had a bad part, there really isn't any way to avoid a repeat. Any part can be bad, no brand is perfect. It can just be bad luck... If its only 3 months old you should have got it repaired/replaced under warranty... new PC should not have problems. Especially OEM.

I would avoid buying PC off OEM like MSI and Dell and a few others as they only use their own parts... better to get a PC built using different brand parts as very few make the best of everything. You don't really know how long its been sitting in one place.

Sep 25, 2023
Visit site
If I were you, I'd have returned the entire unit, then picked something that had a higher wattage PSU out of the box instead of now(seemingly walking down a path of RMA'ing other parts in your build).

In retrospect, if the prior PSU was also an MSI unit, then 750W would've been fine all along.

It got so bad that the PC started BSODing before windows could load.
That can and will indicate that the OS is corrupt, if you're seeing a BSOD before booting into the OS. Can you confirm if this is the motherboard in your prebuilt;
?
Yes that is the motherboard in my unit. Maybe I wasn't clear when I said I RMA'd it. The entire PC is still under warranty so I sent the entire PC back.

The only thing I would say to the 750W MSI PSU being sufficient is that all Ubisoft games made my PC turn off when launching. This would happen 100% of the time. This was fixed by replacing the PSU.

Looking around it seems that most sites recommend a 850W PSU if you have a RTX4080 which might have been one of the reason's for your instability.

If your going for a prebuilt PC I would normally go with a customer builder site. In the UK this would be something like Overclockers or Scan. I've used Scan for years both for Prebuilt PC's and also hardware upgrades. A custom builder like these will usually test the PC properly, sometimes referred to as a burn-in test, good warranties and very good customer service.

Sep 25, 2023
Visit site
Looking around it seems that most sites recommend a 850W PSU if you have a RTX4080 which might have been one of the reason's for your instability.

If your going for a prebuilt PC I would normally go with a customer builder site. In the UK this would be something like Overclockers or Scan. I've used Scan for years both for Prebuilt PC's and also hardware upgrades. A custom builder like these will usually test the PC properly, sometimes referred to as a burn-in test, good warranties and very good customer service.
I did find that most people recommended an 850W or higher PSU while doing research. I was just shocked that a pre-build made by MSI would have an inadequate PSU.

I'm assuming the frequent shutdowns ended up damaging the hardware. Not sure if that is more likely, or I just had a bum part.

You're probably right on the original problem, but I would have tried reinstalling Windows before packing it up and sending it back. In any event, I had a problem with an MSI laptop once, and they were very easy to work with. I received it back in just a few days.

Sep 25, 2023
Visit site
You're probably right on the original problem, but I would have tried reinstalling Windows before packing it up and sending it back. In any event, I had a problem with an MSI laptop once, and they were very easy to work with. I received it back in just a few days.
Yeah I did try that lol. I formatted everything and tried to clean install Windows 11. The computer just crashed everytime the windows logo appeared.

I took it into a shop and confirmed it was hardware before sending it back

Sep 25, 2023
Visit site
For cleaner power, a UPS with built in AVR

What did the bsod say ? Bsod unsupported processor is common on msi boards and was recently fixed in new bios.

I was getting a mix of "kernel security check failure" and "iqrl not or less equal". When I took it into the shop, it wasn't bsoding anymore but just rebooting everytime the windows logo appeared after the shop tried installing it.

Sep 25, 2023
Visit site
if its crashing during install, they need to check the ram. Until the installer has restarted PC 2 times, its mostly running off the USB and ram. Storage only involved once the installer has written files onto it, and after 2nd restart.
Yeah, when I had it in the shop we tried swapping the RAM and it still crashed.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I was getting a mix of "kernel security check failure" and "iqrl not or less equal". When I took it into the shop, it wasn't bsoding anymore but just rebooting everytime the windows logo appeared after the shop tried installing it.
It sounds like you were experiencing a mix of "kernel security check failure" and "IRQL not less or equal" errors. After taking it to the shop, the issue changed from blue screens to continuous reboots when the Windows logo appeared during installation.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site

I upgraded the PSU from 750W 80 Gold Plus to 1000W 80 Gold Plus. The PC is prebuilt by the shop, not a MSI rebuilt system.

Sep 25, 2023
Visit site
Hello everyone, thanks for the comments. I just got my PC back from MSI and the work ticket says they replaced my CPU. I'm assuming that the CPU was faulty to begin with as it's a liquid cooled system, so I wouldn't expect it to overheat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts