Pre Built PC Help

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm looking to upgrade my current rig and was wondering if people could recommend a good pre-built set. I can't build my own PC so I need a site or manufacturer that could do it all.

I want better performance in more simple games like WoW all the way to more demanding features like using my Valve Index for VR. I currently have a 27 inch 4k monitor and can generally get around 60fps for WoW in demanding settings. I'm wondering if it's possible to increase that with a better rig.
My current CPU specs are:
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7 -6850K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
X99-A II
Rev 1 .xx
Monitors: 27 Inch 4k Asus Predator
LG 27 Inch monitor
LG 24 Inch monitor

My budget is fairly high, probably around 4-5k but I'm wondering if that is necessary given my needs.

Currently I've been looking at 2 distinct builds on newegg.
https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali445/p/N82E16883360029?Description=pre built gaming pc&cm_re=pre_built gaming pc-_-83-360-029-_-Product
and a cheaper
https://www.newegg.ca/abs-computer-technologies-mage-h-ali335/p/N82E16883102800?Description=pre built gaming pc&cm_re=pre_built gaming pc-_-83-102-800-_-Product

My overall goal is to future proof my rig and absolutely thrash games like WoW while also being able to max out my VR games. I think a decent CPU is required for this, that's why I've been focusing on the i9, but in general my knowledge is quite limited.

Thank you! I appreciate all help and tips!

1) The CPU you have is still a very good CPU. You might think it's dated because it's old, but tbh it's not far behind today's CPUs as Intel's architecture has been stagnant since 2015.

Also at 4k and also in VR, you're typically going to be limited by the GPU.

It's very possible that really all you're after is a new GPU, which wouldn't necessitate a new PC. Just swap the card, which is a very easy process.

2) As for 'futureproofing' the rig, Futureproofing is a myth. Newer and more powerful hardware comes out constantly, with new technologies, and games start to leverage those. Such that if you overspend to try to 'futureproof' you just end up in a position where newer, better, cheaper stuff has come out that you could have just bought with the savings from having spent less to begin with. Even if money's no obstacle and you can just buy what you want, when you want it, the point stands that you'll end up replacing things before you actually got the benefit they had to offer.

You're shopping at the high end already with VR and 4k, so spending a fair amount is in order here, but that's just to caveat that futureproof isn't a realistic thing to aim for. :)

3) Over the coming weeks there will be a huge number of hardware releases - new CPUs from AMD which have been heavily hyped (announcement 8th Oct), new GPUs from AMD, and further GPU releases from Nvidia. I'd wait a month or so and then re-evaluate.

4) Be careful of marketing traps. On its own, i9 doesn't mean anything. For instance, the i9 9900k in one of those PCs is made obsolete by the newer i7 10700k (which also has a newer motherboard series). Also just because it's called i9 doesn't guarantee any meaningful performance benefit over another i7 or even i5 part.

5) With regards to the 2 specs: I'd rule out the ABS Legend because of point 2) it's just not worth it. And I'd also skip the ABS Gladiator because of 4) and because the 2080 Super is bad value right now having been superseded by the RTX 3080.

TL-DR, Consider just buying a new GPU. If you want a new system, wait for AMD to release Zen 3 CPUs (announcement scheduled 8th October) and re-evaluate then. Also consider waiting for AMD's RDNA2 GPUs, announcement scheduled for 1 month today.

TRENDING THREADS