Practicality of PSU Tiers

Sep 11, 2024
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I wanted to get your thoughts on how important tier lists actually are when buying a PSU. I've come across the Cultists Tier List and also found this site for PSU tier list prices. Has anyone else used this site or any other tier lists when shopping for a PSU?

For those who rely on tier lists, how much weight do you give them compared to other factors like specific features or brand preferences when making your final decision?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Well, the one on LTT used to do it based on price of PSU, which is hardly useful

The cultist one used to be on Tom's Hardware, but they had a breakdown in communication there

I don't use them myself, I tend to just buy from good brands like Seasonic and Corsair.
Seasonic were used by IBM, they have a good track record. Used two of them so far. Offer 10 year warranty. Make their own PSU - OEM for other brands as well.
Corsair don't make their own but they back theirs up with 10 year warranties in some cases. If they trust it to run that long, so do I.

lists can give you an idea of who to choose from.
Sure, if they don't actually make their own PSU the variance in models can be noticeable but for most part, good brands don't make bad PSU.

One thing I want is at least a 5 year warranty, longer the better as then it should last as long as I use PC.
Another feature that would make me look at PSU - RGB - and only to wonder what they hiding. Since most PSU go in a shroud now, who needs lights :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't go too cheap though or you end up replacing parts early due to PSU killing them

I wouldn't buy a PSU made by this company for instance:

Tiers can at least tell you who to pick from. And if you lucky, who to avoid.

researching the models is necessary. Use lists as a guide and then look into the models to make sure no problems. I do that for anything I buy though :)

when I started making PC, I had no idea and used the PSU that came with case (as in 2000 that was the way it worked) and it was only after I started hanging around PC forums that I worked out what was good to buy. My choices have improved over the years, and its 13 or so years now since my last PSU went bang... thats a wake up call. It was 6 years old, it was due... I just didn't know that running past warranty on PSU isn't always safe.

Last edited:
Thats why I said 'that performs similarly'. :)

The Cultists list shows exact models down to the wattage within a range. The guys running it are engineers, and I believe they only recommend things they can find proper reviews on. The speculative position ones are ones theyve seen internal pictures of and can give a guess as to how they should perform based off of the design type and qulaity of components.

Quite often different wattage PSUs have different OEMs and quality can vary model to model on units in the same series. The Corsair CV 650 from a couple of years ago was actually a decent budget PSU, but the other models in the VS series were trash for example.

Hardware Busters is about the only place that does proper full PSU testing in English since JonnyGuru disappeared afaik. The equipment to do it right is expensive and theres not all that much money in it unfortunately.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seems this conversation is also taking place at TH.

Some PSU makers also have calculators on their websites that offer suggestions

That is another way to find what you should use.

Much more granular one here thats been around a long long time. Personally I wouldnt trust the manufacturers ones to not try and encourage me to buy a more expensive model than strictly necessary.

I never use them. When i buy a PSU i start looking at known reputable brands, then i narrow down the the type and wattage i want, then i start looking at reviews. The sort of downside to PSUs are that even units from reputable brands can varry in quallity, sure a Seasonic or Corsair etc probably won't net you a bad psu but there are models what are less efficient etc.

Well, the one on LTT used to do it based on price of PSU, which is hardly useful

The cultist one used to be on Tom's Hardware, but they had a breakdown in communication there

I don't use them myself, I tend to just buy from good brands like Seasonic and Corsair.
Seasonic were used by IBM, they have a good track record. Used two of them so far. Offer 10 year warranty. Make their own PSU - OEM for other brands as well.
Corsair don't make their own but they back theirs up with 10 year warranties in some cases. If they trust it to run that long, so do I.

lists can give you an idea of who to choose from.
Sure, if they don't actually make their own PSU the variance in models can be noticeable but for most part, good brands don't make bad PSU.

One thing I want is at least a 5 year warranty, longer the better as then it should last as long as I use PC.
Another feature that would make me look at PSU - RGB - and only to wonder what they hiding. Since most PSU go in a shroud now, who needs lights :)
Seasonic allso makes (or atleas used to) PSUs for allot of other brands. I currently have the
Seasonic Focus GX 1000W ATX 3.0 in my gaming PC.

Seasonic allso makes (or atleas used to) PSUs for allot of other brands. I currently have the
Seasonic Focus GX 1000W ATX 3.0 in my gaming PC.
Make their own PSU - OEM for other brands as well.
Yep, I know :)

they used to make models for Corsair but I think Corsair use someone else now.
Super Flower make their own, it gets hard to tell after that.

I have a Seasonic PX750 in a box here. I used it until I got the Rmx1000 I have now.

Yep, I know :)

they used to make models for Corsair but I think Corsair use someone else now.
Super Flower make their own, it gets hard to tell after that.

I have a Seasonic PX750 in a box here. I used it until I got the Rmx1000 I have now.
I used Corsair for a long time but i decided on Seasonic this time for.. dunno, I felt like a change i guess. Never been unhappy with corsair though.

Sep 11, 2024
Visit site
Some PSU makers also have calculators on their websites that offer suggestions

That is another way to find what you should use.
I think the wattage estimates at pc part picker are probably better to use.

if you mean the one in the build then it is good as well. I always prefer multiple sources, just to be sure its right.

it always helps to have more than you use now, just in case you update later on in PC's life. It shows 569watts for mine. I have lots of headroom then. It thinks my GPU max is 300, but AMD changed spec of my card to 315. Not an amazing difference really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts