PC restarts once a day please help

Jan 27, 2020
Visit site
So i got a new pc with 8gb ddr4 ram (2x4) and in the begining i installed windows and my pc would restart as soon as i logged in,so i switched the ram slots and ran all test and it says everythings alright,but 2 days later my pc would get a blue screen each time with a different error message once a day.Will these daily crashes damage my hardware and is RAM the problem maybe?And what should i do to prevent the crashes(everything is updates drivers etc.)

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
It sounds like the crash is coming from accessing a bad sector of RAM. Or it could be a bad sector on the hard drive. You'll want to check that the RAM is running at the correct clockspeed.

If you RAM is just halting and the PC is restarting, I highly doubt it will cause any damage. But if the issue is something more nefarious like the power supply/source or motherboard capacitor, then that could be a dig deal.

The first thing I would do is check to see if the problem persists with only one RAM DIMM. Yes, you will probably not be able to do much of anything on your PC while you do this, which sort of negates the test, but not really. Check each one individually to see if it is indeed isolated to a particular DIMM.

I would also check the manual for your motherboard and make sure they are indeed installed per it's recommendation. Not all motherboards arrange their RAM DIMM slots the same.

Out of curiosity, what brand of memory is it?

Jan 27, 2020
Visit site
It sounds like the crash is coming from accessing a bad sector of RAM. Or it could be a bad sector on the hard drive. You'll want to check that the RAM is running at the correct clockspeed.

If you RAM is just halting and the PC is restarting, I highly doubt it will cause any damage. But if the issue is something more nefarious like the power supply/source or motherboard capacitor, then that could be a dig deal.

The first thing I would do is check to see if the problem persists with only one RAM DIMM. Yes, you will probably not be able to do much of anything on your PC while you do this, which sort of negates the test, but not really. Check each one individually to see if it is indeed isolated to a particular DIMM.

I would also check the manual for your motherboard and make sure they are indeed installed per it's recommendation. Not all motherboards arrange their RAM DIMM slots the same.

Out of curiosity, what brand of memory is it?
Thank you so much for the reply,the ram is ADATA brand 2666 mhz i've ran windows memory diagnostics and it says theres no fault in hardware and my ssd is healthy.when i try running memtest86 it just freezes

Reactions: spvtnik1

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Not to throw them under the bus, but ADATA is a pretty budget-oriented brand. I say that because our boss purchased several new iBuyPower desktops and within several months, one of them had a RAM DIMM fail! And it was indeed an ADATA module. That's not to say that you have any more or less chance of failure with other brands, but I believe the quality control is better at, say, Crucial, or Corsair.

If one of them is bad you could RMA it... or even return it for a refund if possible (usually I think with RAM it is not but that all depends on the vendor). I would actually bite the bullet and order a pair of 8GB DIMMS so you have 16GB total. Being a new computer and all, there is a pretty solid chance you are going to hit the wall pretty quickly with just 8GB available, during the "lifetime" of your new PC.

If your idea was to add two more 8GB DIMMS later, I would do some research on fully populating your RAM slots as I've heard that it can actually decrease reliability/performance.

Jan 27, 2020
Visit site
Yeah im on a pretty bad budget so i had to buy one of the cheapest ram sticks,my motherboard has only 2 ram slots i will probably upgrade ram in the near future to 16gigs and ask the manefacturer for a refund.

Reactions: spvtnik1

TRENDING THREADS