Novice building pc on the cheap, upgrade over time support.

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
For £20, sure. It's ~15% faster soi will keep framerates that bit higher/more consistent.

But it's not an essential purchase - if you'd rather keep the £20 in your pocket a 570's fine too.

Turning to the bits in your signature:

PCIe USB-c card is a must. Can anyone recommend one?
Your motherboard already has USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB c built in at the rear (which is where a PCIe card would be). You sure you need a PCIe card in addition to that?

PCIe Multimedia slots (like SD cards) - if they exist.
Card readers are usually USB - and are widely available. The most common ones are external, e.g. a small USB adapter like this or this. Or slightly more expensive ones with USB hubs and additional card formats built it.
There are 'internal' card readers, which you could install into a DVD drive bay and access from the front of your PC. These connect typically to USB headers on the motherboard internally. Last I looked they were also very expensive. Also your case doesn't have 5.25" (DVD drive) bays.
If all you need is an SD card reader, buy a USB one.

Reactions: Zoid
So, I would like 2 usb-c ports, maybe a splitter then?

I don’t need an sd card reader, just thought it would be a good option if I ever wanted to use the many sd cards I have around the house.

With the graphics card, would it improve image quality or just frame rate? It’s a difficult one really, do I buy a new gas bottle now or wait 3 weeks? I love cooking on the bbq, and running low on gas, I have about 2 rotisserie cookings left. Hmmm I have no idea what to do... what would you do?

With the graphics card, would it improve image quality or just frame rate?
Either one. It's more powerful so it could either run the game at a higher / more consistent framerate at the same settings as the RX 570. Or at the same framerate but with the settings turned up a bit higher.

Rotisserie v GPU - it's a tough one :)

For £20 I might go with the better GPU, as you'll be keeping the GPU for a fairly long time, so it's an investment for (say) 2 years. While you'll have the rotisserie back up in (proportionately) no time at all

Zoid

Community Contributor
So, I would like 2 usb-c ports, maybe a splitter then?
If you want two USB-C ports then yeah, you'll need a splitter or something since your motherboard only has the one. You can get external splitters or hubs in order to have all the connections you need. Alternatively, you could get a USB-C female to USB male adapter like this one for your second USB-C device.
I don’t need an sd card reader, just thought it would be a good option if I ever wanted to use the many sd cards I have around the house.
I'd definitely go for a cheap external card reader like this one.
With the graphics card, would it improve image quality or just frame rate?
Like @Oussebon said, it could improve either your framerate or your graphics settings, depending on how you want to spend the extra performance. I just wanted to be sure that's what you meant by image quality though. The actual picture quality on the monitor will not be improved. By that I mean, the same game with the same settings will look exactly the same. What will be improved is the horsepower that you have to bump up your in-game graphics settings a little higher, or keep them where they are and get higher framerates.

For an extra 20 quid I think the RX 580 is a good buy. But there's always that one little upgrade you could make for just X pounds more. Just depends on where you want to draw the budget line.
It’s a difficult one really, do I buy a new gas bottle now or wait 3 weeks? I love cooking on the bbq, and running low on gas, I have about 2 rotisserie cookings left. Hmmm I have no idea what to do... what would you do?
How hungry are you :p

Reactions: Oussebon
I think I will go with the better gpu, I can add an extra one next year, would it make a difference?

What are the true dimensions of my case that I plan to get? The specifications say on one site it’s nearly 50cm tall. On another it says it’s only 43cm tall. I am trying to work out where it’s best to put my new pc.

I am very hungry... lol cooking on my bbq is a passion that I have. I really enjoy doing it. I don’t like getting my hands dirty, and been putting off giving my bbq a new coat of paint. Which ideally I would/should do before I cook next but haven’t stopped me so far.

Don't add a 2nd GPU, or plan to add one.

Multi GPUs for gaming are very, very niche and only useful in certain contexts.

When, in the future, you want more GPU horsepower, you'd replace the GPU with a new one.

The case's dimensions are: Case Dimensions 492mm x 201mm x 433mm - so those sites have got the height and depth mixed up :) Pretty sure 433 is the height. It's deeper than it is tall

Okay, why not add 2 GPUs I thought thats what AMD CrossFire was about?

Quick edit: does the power units come with plugs? or do I need to buy separately?

Last edited:
You're right, that is indeed what Crossfire is (and SLI, the Nvidia equivalent).

However, many games don't actually support the use of multiple graphics cards, so you end up getting no extra performance. Or if you do get extra performance, it often won't be 100% extra performance. It also uses more energy and produces more heat.

Also new technologies like DX12 and TAA (a popular antialiasing technology) also make implementing multi GPU support more complicated.

This means it's almost always better to upgrade to a newer, more powerful single GPU, with a more modern and more efficient architecture, and sell your old GPU towards the costs, than it is to buy one of the same and go Crossfire/SLI.

Reactions: Gaogier
Do power units come with plugs?

I am thinking of going with a different one... all I need to get is the GPU (as soon as I can get to a bank) Power unit (thinking a different one) and case (which I haven't ordered yet). The rest is ordered or here.

In most cases the power supply unit will come with a 'kettle lead' type cable, which is the standard type of lead.

The manufacturer website will usually tell you what's included in the box.

What PSU are you looking at?

I'll preface this by saying I don't like unnecessary PSU snobbery. You get people who never recommend anything less than certain gold-rated units under any circumstances. But I believe budget level PSUs do have a role.

However, the Aerocool - as I feared - appears to be on the wrong side of the line and shouldn't be trusted.

Johnnyguru (who is one of the most trusted sources on the web for PSU info) actually describes it as a scam. For £15-20 differnce, go with that Seasonic.

Zoid

Community Contributor
I'll preface this by saying I don't like unnecessary PSU snobbery. You get people who never recommend anything less than certain gold-rated units under any circumstances. But I believe budget level PSUs do have a role.

However, the Aerocool - as I feared - appears to be on the wrong side of the line and shouldn't be trusted.

Johnnyguru (who is one of the most trusted sources on the web for PSU info) actually describes it as a scam. For £15-20 differnce, go with that Seasonic.
^^^ This.

Nothing wrong with getting a budget PSU, but the risk of getting a dangerously low-quality unit is higher in this segment if you don't do your research.

I agree with @Oussebon that you should stick with the Seasonic S12III, which at 50-odd pounds is already priced very competitively.

What about buying a used one? I am not going to, just didn't know if that was an option.

The 3rd part of the pc build arrived today.
I now have physically the CPU, SSD and motherboard.

I need to wait don't I to start to put things together until I have them all correct? The CPU and Motherboard said that the delivery would be about 2-3 weeks due to the coronavirus pandemic, but these parts have arrived faster than I thought... Its now getting my head buzzing and wanting to build the PC and play RuneScape.

I am starting a topic in General Gaming, I want to know if there is any games that will help me with certain training with the mouse and keyboard soon, if you know of any, please let me know.

You can buy anything used, and I'm sure that includes PSUs. I'd be wary about buying a used, budget PSU though.

Great to hear things are arriving faster than predicted :) I'd wait for everything to arrive before building, yes. Have you watched some build guide videos? If so what out of interest?

As for training, not 100% sure what you have in mind, but check out Aimlab

It's completely free so no downside to checking it out. It's supposed to be very good.

I have just found this PSU, new on Ebay - ACE Black 500W PSU PC Power Supply Unit Quiet 120mm Red Fan Desktop AT @ £20, I like it as its read and should look good with my PC.

Or

ACE Black 750W PC Power Supply Unit Quiet 12cm Red Fan PSU ATX 6-Pin PCI-E SATA @ £25

I mean for the training, something that allows me to know instantly where the buttons are on the gaming mouse, so when playing games I can easily switch weapons, pickup loot, fight NPC's in RuneScape. All the buttons on the mouse to be programmed to each and every click by memory.

Last edited:
You should ignore the red colouring of the PSU fan because where the PSU is mounted in your system you can't see the fan. The PSU goes at the bottom of the case, fan-side down. You'd have to pick the PC up and turn it upside down to look at the underneath to see the red fan.

What's your budget, roughly, for the PSU now that you have most of the rest of the components?

Main reason why I am not sold on the power unit, is simple, you guys said that JonnyGuru said this, "The Aerocool Inegrator is a scam. It has an 80 PLUS Bronze logo, but there's no 80 PLUS"

If this is true, why do the units shown say 80+

The scam is that it labels itself 80+ Bronze, but "barely does 80 PLUS white efficiency" and apparently there is no 80+ Bronze report. JG also describes the performance as "horrendous", which to me sounds pretty strong.

The website Kitguru reviewed an Aerocool Integrator (slightly different) unit in 2014 and found it was alright - but JG explicitly calls Aerocool out for "bait and switch" - i.e. Aerocool earned 80+ Bronze on an older model which was okay (and which they gave Kitguru to review), but then changed the components to cheaper/worse ones while marketing it as the same product.

Very shady. So better to buy something that isn't misleading about its performance.

As a bonus, the 550W Integrator Bronze gets 15% 1* reviews on Amazon. Contrast to something like Corsair 550W VS series (a budget but fairly reliable and very widely used unit) getting only 8% 1* reviews (similar to Corsair CV, and Seasonic S12III). Customer reviews need to be treated with some caution (sample sizes, bad batches, lots of reasons) but it's not a good look for the Aerocool - if you're twice as likely to give it a bad score as the alternatives.

Seasonic S12III, Corsair VS, Corsair CV - these all cost only ~£15 more and are a much safer bet. I'd take any of them over the Aerocool.

Reactions: Frindis and Zoid

TRENDING THREADS