No NEED for expensive parts—Jayz

Haven't seen the vid yet but I do see peeps requesting new builds wanting $250+ motherboards, super expensive cpu's, mass money on RBG fans, RGB memory, RGB AIO's, etc .. and then have enough left over in their budget for some crappy arse gpu. RGB along with the ASUS ROG brand boards is one of the worst things to ever happen for gamers on a budget imo.

Zloth

Community Contributor
That whole CPU thing... I was lurking around on the X4:Foundations boards for a while and ended up having to explain the whole 'single thread' thing quite a few times. People buy these 12-core monsters then look at Task Manager (or whatever) when the game tries to save. The save takes 45 seconds and the CPU only ticking along at 10-15%. Well, yeah, it's a single-threaded process so you are only using 1 of the 12 cores. They aren't happy about that.

I think I have to disagree on the NVMe thing, though. My PC boots up CRAZY fast now that I have one! A 1TB NVMe for Windows, your save files, and maybe a game or two to live on should prove valuable - especially when DirectAccess* shows up. He's right, though, in that games are only helped somewhat. Starting up a game is more than just loading a bunch of files (especially starting one for the first time), so don't expect it to be crazy fast on that front. Do NOT go nuts and try to cover all your storage needs with NVMe, though!

And how big are those needs, really? If you've got a fast, reliable network, you don't need to install a bunch of games "just in case you want to play one." If you get the urge, just re-install the thing and you're ready in about five minutes.

Haven't seen the vid yet but I do see peeps requesting new builds wanting $250+ motherboards, super expensive cpu's, mass money on RBG fans, RGB memory, RGB AIO's, etc .. and then have enough left over in their budget for some crappy arse gpu. RGB along with the ASUS ROG brand boards is one of the worst things to ever happen for gamers on a budget imo.
and even less for the PSU

I watched some, skipped a few parts. I mostly agree. I never aim at top end GPU as they twice as expensive here to US so I just aim lower. I was looking at my rgb ram when he was talking about it... probably didn't need an AIO but I wanted to try water after 5 PC on air.

Mar 1, 2022
Visit site
idk why youtubers always give this advice of not overspending on your cpu. If you have to change your cpu down the line it will be costly. Either you're upgrading to a new platform which incorporates the motherboard expense and possibly ram or you're doing an upgrade in the same mobo and old cpus hold price well, so you're going to be overspending on an old part.
If you buy the best cpu you can afford now it should last you years to come, and for most people the thing that becomes obsolete fastest is the gpu. So why not recommend getting a good cpu like a 12700k now, and then upgrade gpu later? (They will definitely sell easy in this market too).

[/QUOTE]

He is talking about games, most of them don't use many threads yet so having a high core count CPU if you are a gamer isn't really necessary now. It also depends on what games you play, a vast majority for a long time to come will still be single thread just based on fact they already exist now.

Buying a PC for long term it does make sense to get best you can afford at time, CPU wise as GPU is likely to be upgraded at some stage (if you lucky).

It depends on priorities, some people happily buy a new PC every year. Others think what will it be like in a few years, can I make it better without buying a new MB/CPU/RAM combo every year. I have had 6 computers since 1999, my first 3 computers were in 6 years, the next 3?? I am still using the 3rd. Once you have a good PC you don't need to update every year.

It can bite you though, my last 2 motherbaords have been at the end of a line. I got a Z97 just before they changed socket, and now my X570 board likely to not get many more upgrade choices. I have never replaced a CPU after purchase before so I don't really think about it, my 3600xt is good enough for me now, it still feels new. I had to stop using my 3rd PC as it had AGP slot for GPU card at a time almost all cards were PCIe, I couldn't get a new card for it.. Life can catch you off guard.

Reactions: Brian Boru
idk why youtubers always give this advice of not overspending on your cpu. If you have to change your cpu down the line it will be costly. Either you're upgrading to a new platform which incorporates the motherboard expense and possibly ram or you're doing an upgrade in the same mobo and old cpus hold price well, so you're going to be overspending on an old part.
If you buy the best cpu you can afford now it should last you years to come, and for most people the thing that becomes obsolete fastest is the gpu. So why not recommend getting a good cpu like a 12700k now, and then upgrade gpu later? (They will definitely sell easy in this market too).
A build needs balance. Spending big money on a cpu leaves some buyers short on other quality components such as psu and gpu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru