Question No idea where to start for Gaming PC, Please help.

Nov 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I am a complete novice when it comes to computers. I am wanting a gaming PC for my son & husband who play fortnight and COD. We are also installing an indoor golf simulator (called Trackman). It will be hooked up to a projector and screen and I want the graphics to be great. I am considering this PC from JB HiFi... https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/msi-trident-as-10sd-gaming-desktop-1tb-rtx-2070-super
Would it be sufficient? Or overkill for my needs? Anything this doesn't have you think I will need? Or am I better off getting one custom made. Any advice on what I should be looking for would be great. Thank you!

I really can't comment as to the Golf simulator software, but the system requirements seem to be well within your budget at least. The system you linked shouldne have a problem with it.

As an example build, using the same processor but with a much faster graphics card and much better quality components overall.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($341.39 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.94 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY XLR8 CS3030 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($726.99 @ Staples)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.90 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AX58BT PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($76.48 @ Amazon)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Ten Wired Optical Mouse ($63.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $1967.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-01 03:45 EST-0500

The mouse and keyboard included as placeholders, can be changed to whatever suits your needs. But the point is that the system you linked is overpriced like many prebuilt systems. Building it yourself is actually pretty easy, you can check out videos on Youtube from Linus Tech Tips, or Jayz2cents. These guys are great sources of information for beginners.

Availability on graphics cards is an issue at the moment, as with the newer AMD processors which would be a slightly better choice. In the new year it will hopefully clear up but we can know for sure.

If you really dont want to spend the time looking into building yourself, its understandable. It does take some research and can be nerve racking. I unfortunately don't have any experience with those companies to speak of their quality. But Ibuypower and Cyberpower PC build systems you can configure yourself.

At your budget, I advise a system with an Intel I7 10700 or better, or an AMD 5600X or higher. 16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD Storage. Don't go lower than an Nvidia RTX 3070 or an AMD 6800 for the graphics card.

TRENDING THREADS