NEW PC USER. Please help.

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
I bought an Alienware PC about 2 years ago because I wanted to try a pre built before I build my own. I thought I picked good hardware at the time. Here are the specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
RAM: 32 GB Dual Channel HyperX
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda St2000dm001 2TB 7200RPM 64MB
No Optical Drive
Killer Wireless AC1535

monitor : Dell Ultrasharp 27” 4k
Resolution: 3840x2160

I played Battlefield V back when it came out and was able to run it almost max minus the ray tracing craziness. I wasn’t able to use my pc to playing anything for a while, but now whenever I try to play at my screens allowed resolution it is SO slow. Even a much older game like FarCry 3 gives me trouble.
I don’t know if I’m missing a basic setting I need to change or if my pc isn’t as good as I thought it was.

I ran a test while playing and got this:

At the resolution it’s supposed to handle its showing:
GPU1 25 degrees c
GPU1 0% usage
GPU2 99% usage
CPU 43 degrees c
CPU 2-3% usage
RAM 12121 MB
5 FPS

If your peformance metrics are correct and GPU 1 is doing basically nothing while GPU2 is maxed out but only giving you 5 fps, I think what's happening is you are trying to run your game off the CPU's integrated graphics rather than your GTX 1080 Ti.

Make sure you have the HDMI cable or whatever video out you are using plugged into the back of the graphics card and not the motherboard I/O. That might be enough to fix the issue, but if it isn't, make sure you have the correct GPU selected in-game. If the 1080 Ti doesn't show up, make sure you have installed the latest display drivers through GeForce Experience.

If that doesn't solve your problem, get back to us and we will troubleshoot further.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS