I need a new Gaming Laptop Please help or teach me

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I have used my gaming laptop for 7-8 years now and have had to unbuild or rebuild it as well as repare it quite a few times. However, it has become impossible to properly use it now.
I'm currently doing some research on the different possiblities but it seems very hard to find something. I feel like there's too much to look and serach about when i don't know anything.
So I'm now searching for someone that could help me understanding how it works and the different approaches possible or where to search.

I also did the survey given at the beginning of the forum and it would be as followed:

1. What is your budget?
800-1200 €

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-16 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Full HD 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
I do not really care, whatever is better for gaming

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low, Medium or High)?
Yes, the laptop would be mainly used for gaming. Basic games not too demanding such as League of Legends, CS GO but also more demanding or high set-up games like Rainbow Six, New World, … (and others that I haven’t been able to play for way too long now)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Yeah I also need to write academic papers, create power point presentation and other low settings tasks

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1 Terra maybe 2 ?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
https://www.fnac.com/Ordinateurs-portables/shi48967/w-4

https://www.ldlc.com/informatique/ordinateur-portable/pc-portable/c4265/
https://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/ordinateurs-pc-portables/v-10709-10709.html

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I kept the last one for 7 years and now nearly nothing is working, I have been struggling a lot for the past 3 years. So I would say between 3 and 4 years would be appreciated.

11. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I already used Asus and MSI which worked very well. I don’t have particular preferences, maybe just not Alienware since I might have to use it in public and I don’t want it to get too much attention but that is a detail.

12. What country do you live in?
France/Switzerland

13. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would appreciate it if it would have a num pad on the right as some but this is additional.

I already thank you for your time and consideration,

If you have any advice or information to give, I would be very thankful !!!

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

So i would suggest the following -

HP omen - best build quality, good battery backup considering its a gaming laptop(upto 4-5hours),good CPU performance, GPU is neither good nor bad, now that most of the games are coming with DLSS3.5 which has the AI frame generation technology, this GPU might make almost all the upcoming games playable, but this also means that this GPU has lower raw performance as compared to my own Acer nitro -5 a RTX 3070ti laptop, but still i would have gone for the omen, instead of my acer nitro 5 if it was available here in India. Heating will obviously be an issue, but not for a few months or maybe a whole year, you will have to get some power plan tweaks on this if you are going to game on it for longer times.

ASUS TUF A15 - better graphics card, slightly less better CPU as compared with the omen, 4K gaming, i couldn't find any battery info but ASUS usually gives a good battery on their laptops, so I'm expecting around 70Watt hours battery which should last the same as the omen. The GPU on this is locked at 140W whereas the same RTX 3070ti on my own Acer nitro -5 is locked at 150W, so I'm expecting a lower gaming performance for demanding games and 4k gaming should still work but will need DLSS support(AI upscaling).

The storage on both is 512GB, I couldn't find the same models with 1TB storage, so if you like any of these then you could go ahead and find the models which have 1TB storage, or you could purchase an extra 1TB gen4 M.2 SSD as both of these laptops have an extra PCIe m.2 slot.

Happy to help.

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

So i would suggest the following -

HP omen - best build quality, good battery backup considering its a gaming laptop(upto 4-5hours),good CPU performance, GPU is neither good nor bad, now that most of the games are coming with DLSS3.5 which has the AI frame generation technology, this GPU might make almost all the upcoming games playable, but this also means that this GPU has lower raw performance as compared to my own Acer nitro -5 a RTX 3070ti laptop, but still i would have gone for the omen, instead of my acer nitro 5 if it was available here in India. Heating will obviously be an issue, but not for a few months or maybe a whole year, you will have to get some power plan tweaks on this if you are going to game on it for longer times.

ASUS TUF A15 - better graphics card, slightly less better CPU as compared with the omen, 4K gaming, i couldn't find any battery info but ASUS usually gives a good battery on their laptops, so I'm expecting around 70Watt hours battery which should last the same as the omen. The GPU on this is locked at 140W whereas the same RTX 3070ti on my own Acer nitro -5 is locked at 150W, so I'm expecting a lower gaming performance for demanding games and 4k gaming should still work but will need DLSS support(AI upscaling).

The storage on both is 512GB, I couldn't find the same models with 1TB storage, so if you like any of these then you could go ahead and find the models which have 1TB storage, or you could purchase an extra 1TB gen4 M.2 SSD as both of these laptops have an extra PCIe m.2 slot.

Happy to help.
Hi, Thank you so much for your help! I'll take a look into that right away. Just by curiosity, do you use specialized website to search and compare the different pc ? or is it just experience knowledge speaking ? Thank you again for you precious help :D

Hi, Thank you so much for your help! I'll take a look into that right away. Just by curiosity, do you use specialized website to search and compare the different pc ? or is it just experience knowledge speaking ? Thank you again for you precious help :D
I love my HP laptop. Consumers rate them very highly. The one linked above is very good, but not in your listed price range, and it doesn't come with Windows, which might be another expense.

Here's another option if you don't want to pay that much.

The graphics card is the same as in the HP above. The CPU looks quick, but it's not as good as the other one. The CPU should be great for gaming, though, because of its high clock speed. Other than the CPU, it's very, very similar to the other one posted. Both have the same amount of RAM and the same size SSD.

Reactions: Brian Boru
do you use specialized website to search and compare

Welcome to the forum :)

Just visit any of the long-established CREDIBLE sites for good info, eg:

Be careful of any new or unknown sites, many of which exist just to cream off affiliate revenue from the highest payers,

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Well,

I don't use any website to compare, i just search up the components of the laptop, mostly just the processors and see the difference in the clock speeds, cores, TDP, etc.. The rest of the info is just my experience. You don't need to compare laptops benchmarks side by side to know which is better, I just know which will be better just by looking at the specs.

I am that tech guy in every friend group🤣🤣

mostly all my frnds ask me before purchasing anything, let it be a laptop, phone or even a TV🤣🤣.

The omen i mentioned above will serve you well for at least 6years, it has that build quality, but it might need a battery change after 4years, and then it could last another 3-4years. I wouldn't recommend going for i5, try to get at least an i7 OR Ryzen 7-7840HS(equivalent to i7 12700H)
if you need the performance to last for a long time. Processors do wear out.

I have been using a gaming laptop since 2017, my first laptop acer nitro 5 fell down the stairs after an year of purchase, the body was damaged, the screen bezels opened up, but each and every component of the laptop was undamaged, even the screen survived, i had to weld the laptop's plastic at some points to keep my laptop's body closed, and i used it out for the next 5years in that condition, until last month i purchased the new acer nitro 5 2023 model.

The omen is available in India but its too high priced than what i saw in the websites that you shared. i got my acer nitro 5 for INR95000 but the omen with the same specs i mentioned in my last reply is priced at INR140000.

I would recommend the omen, even though its 90€ above your range, i hope you could go a bit above and get something that will serve you well.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts