Boot problems with a newish build. Please help

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
Hi, everyone. Need some help. So last week I basically gutted my case and replaced everything but the HDD and gtx 980. However I've been having problems getting an image to my monitor since. It's a pretty weird and frustrating scenario, but basically on first boot I had the display port in the GPU and had artifacts all over the monitor. Somehow it was bad enough it would force my PC to check for disk errors or reset Windows and I eventually was able to get a clear image and get into Windows. Although, the problem continued to happen on and off. Luckily the i7 I installed has the UHD graphics, so my idea was to boot up using that and switch the display port to the GPU when gaming. That worked for a while, but now sometimes I boot up with the display port plugged into the motherboard and I'm getting a black screen more often than not. I was planning on riding out the 980 into the fall and then springing for a 4080 but now I'm thinking I'll just get a cheap replacement for now if the GPU is in fact the problem. I don't know whats wrong, but I doubt I assembled anything wrong otherwise I probably couldnt get to windows or run a game at all for that matter. I'm mostly suspect of the card but my monitor is slow to power on sometimes. But, I tried a second monitor and got the same thing. So, I'm out of ideas and pretty annoyed. Suggestions, anyone? My specs are below and I'll hyperlink them here too

Computer Information:
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model: Z790 GAMING X AX
Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Brand: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700K
Operating System Version:
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Video Card:
Driver: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 164 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Number of Monitors: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Desktop Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Memory:
RAM: 32536 MB

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
What happens when you change to 1080p?
What happens when you change to 60 Hz?
What's the make/model?
What happens when you change to HDMI connection?

That all works provided its not too temperamental on boot and I get into windows. But I just don't understand why the boot is this irregular or if its possible for a GPU to cause these problems. The monitor I have is an MSI 2k gaming monitor G273QPF. Its the same one I hyperlinked.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Cool, I had trouble navigating Newegg's page—first time in their PC build, I'm more used to PCpartPicker—so I missed your monitor.
if its possible for a GPU to cause these problems
GTX 980 launched on September 18, 2014, so it's an old card. I had a 970 which launched the same day, and it gave up the ghost ~2 years ago. Do you know what kind of usage it's had in the past? If it was ever used for mining, there's a high chance it's shot—but even regular normal use & gaming could easily have worn it out by now.

I'm no expert, so hopefully one of ours will be along after they've feasted on their Easter eggs :)

PS I may have missed it on Newegg, experts will want to know make & model of your power supply.

Best of luck sorting this out :)

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
Cool, I had trouble navigating Newegg's page—first time in their PC build, I'm more used to PCpartPicker—so I missed your monitor.
GTX 980 launched on September 18, 2014, so it's an old card. I had a 970 which launched the same day, and it gave up the ghost ~2 years ago. Do you know what kind of usage it's had in the past? If it was ever used for mining, there's a high chance it's shot—but even regular normal use & gaming could easily have worn it out by now.

I'm no expert, so hopefully one of ours will be along after they've feasted on their Easter eggs :)

PS I may have missed it on Newegg, experts will want
to know make & model of your power supply.

Best of luck sorting this out :)

All good, forgot it was easter myself. Happy holiday all. And, my bad the newegg list appears to have not saved my monitor. Ya, i never mined crypto with the GPU or so much as overclocked it, but Ive gamed regularly with it and owned it since 2016.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS