Need help with someone familiar with Corsair RGB

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Hello, all. I have a Corsair Crystal 280x on the way for a new build. I’ve already received the Corsair RGB H100i Platinum AIO I’m going to install in it as well. I was debating getting two other fans or so as well for the bottom, etc, but didn’t know if the Lighting Node PRO that comes with it would be enough to power all the RGB fans and all, and found the Corsair layout kind of confusing. Do you need a Commander Pro, or are the Lighting Nodes enough to assign RGB and everything it needs? If anyone has experience with this case, or the Corsair RGB setups in general, any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I don't have a Corsair RGB case, but I do use Corsair fans, Corsair AIO and Corsair RAM (a keyboard as well but that's not important at this point).

It can be a little confusing, but as far as I know the lightening Node has 2 channels where you can connect fans or other lightening in your case to.
Both channels do have another little part where you connect the RGB cables to. Just be aware that (AFAIK) each of those channels only support one kind of fan.

If you use the Corsair LL120 from your case, you can't connect Corsair ML120 to the same channel. You'd need to use the other one then (which you don't get the part included I believe, I forgot the name but you'd need to purchase it seperately).

The powercables from the fans just go to the motherboard / fanhub like a normal fan.

Since both my AIO and fans are the same kind (Corsair Ll120 white), I connected all of them to the lightening node pro. I'm not sure if you're using the same fans all over the case, otherwise you'd need to check after that.

Conclusion:
- The lightening node pro can power up to 12 fans over 2 channels. Each channel only supports 1 kind of RGB (LLfan / MLfan etc / LED strip.
- I'm not sure wether connectors for a second channel are included with the lightning node (mine came included with fans anyway).
- If you have 6 fans or less in total and they're all exactly the same you can connect them to the same FAN LED HUB (I just found the name).

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!
So, the case will have the 2xLL120's, and I ordered a seperate two pack of 2xLL140's. That will give me two lighting nodes, if I happen to need them. The Corsair H100i RGB Platinum includes 2xML PRO 120mm fans with the AIO. So, I'd just have to hook up the AIO to a different lighting node/fan header, and it should work appropriately then as the two fan types don't play nice together?
I assume Icue will recognize and be able to assign lighting appropriately across all fans regardless of type?
Also, is the Commander Pro mainly just to minimize cable managment and set fan curves? Because I know how to do that manually and save the $70 it costs. lol
I'm reasonably tech savvy, but have never really used RGB outside of my mouse/keyboard, so I appreciate the help. :)

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
For me that's a tricky one. I don't know if the LL120 and LL140 are considered the same fans or not. It mainly has to do with the positioning of the LED lights, they're different for sure between ML / LL and connecting them wrong might break the fan. I do not know how that works between 120mm and 140mm fans though.

In icue, you manually have to set what fans you have, but that's really not that hard to do.

y7q7dee.png