Need help to upgrade my computer

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Sup guys! I'll start by saying that im french so english is not my language and def. not my best!

With the confinement going on I wanted to upgrade my computer. I don't want to upgrade everything only a new case with a new motherboard and new RAM but I find it difficult to understand the term about the compatibility of my piece.

my specs :
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770
Motherboard - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ( Model M51AC )
RAM - 12 GB ddr3 ( one 8GB the other 4GB)
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB

Again thks
-Bobylouman :D

Last edited:

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Can you provide a bit more info what you want to upgrade and why? What resolutions are you gaming in? FullHD? Do you have standard 60 Hz monitor or something faster? What's your budget?

I guess the most plausible option would be upgrading your GPU to something better - but first tell us a bit more of what you want to achieve with it. ;)

Reactions: Zoid and Oussebon
Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I play on a standart 21 inch 1920*1080 screen 60Hz. I want to upgrade my motherboard because its 5 years old same for my RAM and to do it i need a new case because all the new motherboard these day are super huge compare to mine. I dont really have A budget but like i dont want a case that cost 200$ and a motherboard that cost 200 $... only looking to upgrade it a little bit , the next big upgrade would be my GPU and my CPU but for now i just want a new case,motherboard and RAM's

Don't upgrade the motherboard and the RAM.

New motherboards and new RAM will require a new CPU. Your old CPU does not fit new motherboards. And if you don't want / need a new CPU, there's no point buying one just for a new motherboard! :)

As for the case, what do you want from the new case? And what model is your existing PC case?

Upgrading the case will make you unbuild and then rebuilt almost the entire PC. Which you will need to most of again when you upgrade the motherboard + CPU + RAM in the future. Are you sure you want to upgrade the case now instead of waiting to do it all at the same time? :)

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
To add on to what Oussebon mentioned, there is no need to upgrade your mobo and RAM unless you want to upgrade your CPU. It would help if you tell us what games you play/plan to play in the future.

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
I play on a standart 21 inch 1920*1080 screen 60Hz. I want to upgrade my motherboard because its 5 years old same for my RAM and to do it i need a new case because all the new motherboard these day are super huge compare to mine. I dont really have A budget but like i dont want a case that cost 200$ and a motherboard that cost 200 $... only looking to upgrade it a little bit , the next big upgrade would be my GPU and my CPU but for now i just want a new case,motherboard and RAM's
If it ain't broke don't fix it ;) do you want to upgrade because you are dissatisfied with performance or just because it's 5 years old? I have a computer that's more than 5 years old and it's chugging merrily along.

Also, modern motherboards come in all sizes from full ATX to mini ITX, so size won't be an issue.

But as others have said, don't upgrade your motherboard and RAM until you want to upgrade your CPU. You have to do them all together anyway.

TRENDING THREADS