Question Need help buying my first gaming PC!

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello! I am buying my first gaming pc and need some opinions on which one to buy. I've done some research and have narrowed it down to these two. If you have any other suggestions I'd also be interested! Would prefer to buy from Best Buy. Trying to stay under $2000 CAD. Also wondering if buying geek squad certified open box items is worth the risk?

ASUS Strix Gaming PC (AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/2TB HDD/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER)

ASUS ROG Strix Gaming PC (Intel Core i7-9700K/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GeForce GTX 1660Ti/Windows 10)

Last edited:
Of the two, the first one - the one with a 3700x and 2070 Super - is vastly better value / performance for the price.

What monitor will you be gaming on? What resolution and refresh rate?

And what sort of games at sort of settings are you looking to play?

Any uses besides gaming?

it may be that something less expensive makes more sense.

The settings are usually as high as you can get them without performance dropping to a level you find unacceptable :) But I asked as some people play competitive PVP games where they run the games at very low settings so as to maximise framerates for competitive advantage. Not really an issue in Witcher 3, the Sims, or Valhalla :D

To be honest, an RTX 2070 Super is somewhat wasted on a 1080p monitor. It's really aimed at higher resolutions like 1440p. You're essentially paying for performance you're not going to get much benefit from.

You could get a much cheaper PC
(1500 CAD)
An RTX 2060 is going to do very well at 1080p.

Or a higher resolution monitor - 1440p 144hz.
(options starting

Or, for ~2250 CAD, probably both. e.g.
1700 CAD

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07V39QHMY 350 CAD
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07YGZL8XF 450 CAD

An RTX 2060 Super is good for 1440p gaming

Reactions: Frindis
Just a word on monitors specifically - monitors can have different kinds of panels - TN, VA, IPS.

Short version is that TN panels are generally favoured by competitive PVP players due to having the fastest response times.

If you're more into immersive games, and if you also use CAD, you might want to consider a VA or IPS monitor which has richer colours. The two I posted above are VA and IPS respectively. If you stick to 1080p, I can suggest some VA and IPS 1080p monitors

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for all the information!! That article was very helpful. I'm looking into the other options you mentioned for monitors now. Does it need to by a g-sync monitor if the graphics card in the computer is NVIDIA? Or does freesync work too?

TRENDING THREADS