Zloth

Community Contributor
Jody's recent article on the origins of monsters got me thinking about monsters I haven't seen in a long, long time...

Anhkheg - giant ant critter. I think they showed up in Baldur's Gate, but I haven't seen them since.

Lurker Above/Trapper/Piercer - while mimics are everywhere, the fake ceilings, floors, and stalactites seem to have vanished.

Dragon Turtle - we get green, blue, red, black... but where did the dragon turtles go? Give us a dragon with a serious armor class!

Gas Spore - a fake beholder. Looks just like them, but explode when attacked, doing damage. If the people hit don't get a cure disease inside of 24 hours, they die and sprout a few more gas spores.

Invisible Stalker - nasty so & so's if you don't have always-on invisibility detection. Suddenly, somebody just starts taking damage! (A particularly easy critter for the art department to pull off.)

Ki-Rins, Shedu, Lammasu, and Couatl - the lawful good monsters are pretty much gone.

Cockatrice - used to great effect in Nethack, but I don't think I've seen the chickens that turn you into stone since.

Otyugh and Neo-otyugh - basically, piles of poo with tentacles and telepathy. How are these not in every dungeon's bathroom?? (I think BG2 had one.... maybe.)

Umber Hulk - another one last seen in Baldur's Gate.

Xorn - not an evil critter, but really dangerous if you don't give them what they want, which will probably be your cash and jewelry. They can move through stone as easily as walking.

The Ear Seekers can stay in the past, though. So can the giant-everything critters (giant ticks!?) and the combo-critters (centaurs, hippogryphs, half-x/half-y).

Zloth

Community Contributor
Baldur's Gate 3 has a couple of displacer beasts, but not a single blink dog.
Did Witcher 3 have them? Kinda hard to see with this picture, as I was going for the stereoscopic effect. Google search isn't finding much, so maybe not.

full

Zloth

Community Contributor
Barghests seem to have some sort of 'blink' power - maybe I saw them doing some sort of teleport/phase power and thought 'blink dog?' <shrug>

Anyway, reading the old AD&D Monster Manual, it seems displacer beasts and blink dogs hate each other. We still see displacer beasts but no blink dogs - I guess the displacer beasts won.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Jody's recent article on the origins of monsters got me thinking about monsters I haven't seen in a long, long time...

Anhkheg - giant ant critter. I think they showed up in Baldur's Gate, but I haven't seen them since.

Lurker Above/Trapper/Piercer - while mimics are everywhere, the fake ceilings, floors, and stalactites seem to have vanished.

Dragon Turtle - we get green, blue, red, black... but where did the dragon turtles go? Give us a dragon with a serious armor class!

Gas Spore - a fake beholder. Looks just like them, but explode when attacked, doing damage. If the people hit don't get a cure disease inside of 24 hours, they die and sprout a few more gas spores.

Invisible Stalker - nasty so & so's if you don't have always-on invisibility detection. Suddenly, somebody just starts taking damage! (A particularly easy critter for the art department to pull off.)

Ki-Rins, Shedu, Lammasu, and Couatl - the lawful good monsters are pretty much gone.

Cockatrice - used to great effect in Nethack, but I don't think I've seen the chickens that turn you into stone since.

Otyugh and Neo-otyugh - basically, piles of poo with tentacles and telepathy. How are these not in every dungeon's bathroom?? (I think BG2 had one.... maybe.)

Umber Hulk - another one last seen in Baldur's Gate.

Xorn - not an evil critter, but really dangerous if you don't give them what they want, which will probably be your cash and jewelry. They can move through stone as easily as walking.

The Ear Seekers can stay in the past, though. So can the giant-everything critters (giant ticks!?) and the combo-critters (centaurs, hippogryphs, half-x/half-y).
"I totally agree! Some of these classic monsters seem to have disappeared from modern games. It would be great to see them make a comeback for some fresh challenges and nostalgia."

Reactions: Milkovich
I miss giant rats. Games stopped making them your introductory foe. It was sort of the 'Hello World' of RPGs. I always thought if I made an RPG that I would send you into the alley to fight the giant rats, and they'd be as big as a firetruck. Your entire team would be knocked unconscious and you'd be rescued by the bar maids. This would then draw the attention of an unscrupulous man who has a mission that he actually needs to fail (think The Producers), so he approaches you with the job, which sends you out to the campaign proper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts