Monitors, graphics card or processor or nothing? Advice needed!

Jul 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone, clearly I'm new here and need help with my setup and advice. Please note that I am so incredibly grateful for your advice or input in advance. My knowledge of tech in general is quite average and hence I am even more thankful that you'd take time out of your day just to respond to me and my questions. Thank you.

I'm trying to follow the guidelines as much as possible but for some of the requested information I simply don't know how to view, so please if there is anything not listed which needs to be, please if possible let me know how to find it and I'll add it straight away.

Ok, so specs are as follows,

It's an Alienware Aurora R8 (Dell)
Alienware Aurora R8 Setup and Specifications | Dell Australia
Alienware Aurora R8 – Specs and upgrade options (hardware-corner.net)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-9400 Processor (9 th Generation Intel Core i5k/i7k/i9k - Intel UHD Graphics 630)
Storage controllers: Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver ) & Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Video: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel UHD Graphics 630 GPU - Benchmarks and Specs - NotebookCheck.net Tech) & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database)

This is what comes up for specs when I search myself:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID 0E053584-A4B0-43A6-8688-5BAF5F4FBE1D
Product ID 00325-80000-00000-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Apologies that's all I can come up with. Please let me know any other information that is required.

One of its fans went a few weeks ago and under insurance they replaced basically every part of the rig. So it's all new stuff, but it's old-ish (2 years). I don't have a lot of money, like for whatever I buy, max I'd be looking at would be say $350ish, maybeeee $400 on a sale or something.

Now usually I'm a console kinda guy, very happy playing elden ring on my PS5. However, there are a few games that I play on my desktop (like Monster Hunter - obviously not a super intensive game in terms of graphic requirements).

I've got 2, painfully average slash worse (a kogan and Samsung 27" 240v 60hz) monitors. I love having dual monitors and would always intend to keep it that way. Now occasionally, very occasionally, the computer can run a little slow, but in general the 16gb RAM with windows 11 tends to run smoothly. In terms of sound I've got some really good logi external computer speakers which I love.

So given my budget (350-400AUSD max). Should I,

- Try to save a little more and buy 2 new 27inch monitors;
- Buy a new graphics card and watch a youtube video on how to install it (apparently it's quite easy to do with an Alienware aurora);
- Buy more RAM or a processor (although I'd be so lost at this, I assume I could just watch a youtube video on installation like I'd do with a graphics card;
- Save up the money and just buy a better gaming computer (and... sell this one?); and/or
- Something else?

Thanks again in advance, really does mean a lot.

Last edited:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
that is the actual GPU, you don't want/need to use the Intel one
16gb of ram is more than enough now... still.

With budget I would see what GPU you can get now. For instance, this is just on your limit - https://www.umart.com.au/product/as...nNtpsdwY-J-2wu5SHzkq6mqyWS4ElLARoCi6AQAvD_BwE

Seems there were two Power Supplies in that model
A quick way to double check is the 460w is nonmodular and the 850w is modular (cables can be removed from the back of the psu).

Also, the 850w has a second unused pcie power cable (for hooking up a second gpu) wrapped up in the metal swing out box. If you remove the psu there is a sticker with the specs on it.
https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R8-Nvidia-GPU-Upgrade/td-p/7674097

RTX 2060 needs 190watts. its possible you have enough even with lowest Power supply

I haven't priced out a new PC in a few years, my current one cost 3k (I live in Australia too) in 2020. So saving for a new one is always on the cards, as you will need one eventually. At least the parts are possible to get now. And gpu prices are dropping though we may not notice here. I can remember a year or so ago a 3090 ti would cost 5k here... they half that now. Still out of reach of most sane people.
Looking at prices makes me think I should look for myself but only card that is worthy is a 3080, and its something I can wait for really. See if the prices drop once Nvidia release new series. its a little pricey right now.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for doing your best to give us the info to help you :)

@Colif is a 2060 that much better than his 1650?

@tommymcd01 I'm no expert on this, so listen to the other guys before me :)
If 2060 isn't a major improvement, then consider getting one 27" monitor, and keep using the better of your current ones. I have 2 TVs as monitors, and one of 'em has a few hundred lines on the screen!—but it works fine as the 2nd.

Your PC looks well balanced to me: i5-9 + 1650 + 16GB RAM.

You don't mention storage—what have you got? If your system/Windows drive isn't a SSD, you should definitely look at getting one—a 256GB will be ample for Windows + software, 128GB might do if you haven't much software. Games will also generally benefit from being on SSD.

Jul 19, 2022
Visit site
Thank you so much for both of your replies! I'm so sorry for what awaits in terms of follow up questions, but really it's both yourown fault for being so nice in replying haha, you brought this on yourselves! (Seriously though, thank you!)

I ran a test just to get a further grasp of where my comp is failing:
Alienware Aurora R8 Performance Results - UserBenchmark

UserBenchmarks: Game 40%, Desk 83%, Work 34%
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 - 85.6%
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 - 5.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 - 43.9%
SSD: Nvme PC711 SK hynix 256GB - 222.2%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 102.2%
RAM: Unknown 8ATF1G64AZ-2G6E1 2x8GB - 77.8%
MBD: Alienware Aurora R8
**Hopefully the link works and you're able to see the results in more detail.

@Colif Thank you for your suggestion regarding the RTX2060 (Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Dual EVO OC 6G Graphics Card - Umart.com.au)

I found these 2 listed on potential upgrades, both which seem like the same one that you suggested for half the price? What am I missing? Or should I jump on 1 of these?
Amazon.com: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8G Turbo Edition GDDR6 HDMI DisplayPort Graphics Card (TURBO-RTX2080S-8G-EVO) : Electronics

Amazon.com: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Super Turbo 8G Graphics Card, Turbo Style Fan, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N208STURBO-8GC Video Card : Electronics

Finally, I found this, which is only a little more expensive. Would I be able to run it?
Buy MSI MECH Radeon RX 6600 XT 2X 8G OCV1 Graphics Card [Radeon RX 6600 XT MECH 2X 8G OCV1] Online | Kogan.com. .

Questions, questions, questions:
This is really embarrassing, but hey I have nothing to lose, so I'll ask - with those 2 GPU's listed;
@Colif (again thank you so much for your response, so appreciative and great to hear from a fellow aussie!), so because my comp has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 and the Intel one, does the comp automatically use the resources of both? If I got a new one like the RTX 2060 that you linked, would I replace the Intel one and still keep the old NVIDIA one installed? Or does the comp just automatically only use the best one, or the best one supersedes the old one so to speak? In the meantime, before I get a new GPU, is there a reason to stop the comp using the intel GPU and only rely on the NVIDIA one?

Amazing considering the RTX 2060 came out at a similar time as my GTX1650 but there's such a difference! Thanks for that youtube vid!

@Brian Boru thank you so much for your reply! I think that's a really good idea! I love having 2 monitors as I said earlier, so I think it might be possible, to go one at a time, buying both a better GPU and a new 27" monitor may be possible. Are there any stats or specs I should be looking for when it comes to a new monitor?

A couple of (other) questions (because I'm sure I haven't asked enough already...):
- I've got a really, really good (and new, surprise surprise) TV, and occasionally use a very bloody long HDMI cable to play games from my desktop (the steam app can sometimes get a bit laggy). What would help the comp have a better output on the TV? I assume the RTX 2060 doesn't support HDMI 2.1? Are there any suggestions to get the best possible performance using the TV as a monitor? @Brian Boru Since you use TV's as monitors I'd love your input if possible).

- Is this relevant to me at all regarding my RAM?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suAIR4XtLgI

Is there any external program or any way to ensure my 16gb of RAM is being used in an efficient way? I mean if I got more RAM that's basically getting a new bloody everything so if I can stick to the 16 for now it would be ideal so I could focus on getting a new GPU and monitor.

- I've seen some of the newer CPU's aren't too expensive, but if I already feel overwhelmed at the process of installing a GPU, I should probably steer clear of getting a new CPU right? Is the Intel Core 15-9400 good enough?

- Finally, do you have any general tips that could potentially make my computer run smoothly? I don't have really any complaints, but do get the occasional lag. I've got an internal 1TB drive, Is there literally any point to buying something like this and just putting all my games on there? I'd have so much spare memory though.
WD 2TB P10 Game Drive Black | Officeworks

Promise no more! Thanks again in advance!!

Last edited:
My comp has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 and the Intel one, does the comp automatically use the resources of both? If I got a new one like the RTX 2060 that you linked, would I replace the Intel one and still keep the old NVIDIA one installed? Or does the comp just automatically only use the best one, or the best one supersedes the old one so to speak? In the meantime, before I get a new GPU, is there a reason to stop the comp using the intel GPU and only rely on the NVIDIA one?
the intel one is built into your CPU. So if you swap the GTX, you put the RTX in.
PC mostly likely only uses the Nvidia card right now. Normally if you have a GPU in the system, it disables the CPU one.
What do you attach the monitor cable to now? the GPU or the motherboard, as it will only use what is connected.
Laptops are the only devices designed to really use both.

The GTX name have been around since 2010 whereas RTX cards are only fairly new. GTX cards are more the budget range whereas RTX are more expensive and offer Ray Tracing.

I assume the RTX 2060 doesn't support HDMI 2.1?
Fraid not.
Outputs
1x DVI
1x HDMI 2.0
2x DisplayPort 1.4a
1x USB Type-C
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2060.c3310

The thing with new ram is its normally best to buy a new set instead of mix/match as you can cause errors you didn't have before you add missmatched ram. I don't think most people need 32gb of ram yet. Unless you plan on playing Star Citizen, then 32gb might not be enough. That game is unoptimised and eats ram.

I've seen some of the newer CPU's aren't too expensive, but if I already feel overwhelmed at the process of installing a GPU, I should probably steer clear of getting a new CPU right? Is the Intel Core 15-9400 good enough?
Your problem is finding a CPU that fits into the motherboard you have now. You can't buy the newest ones as you would need all new everything then - new ram, and motherboard as well.

Better to make do with what you have and save to buy a better newer PC.

I let Brian fill in the gaps :)

thought: I wonder if PSU has a spare 8 pin cable for the RTX 2060. 1650 doesn't use one. You might need to look inside pc at what cables are spare on PSU. I would check this before buying one

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 19, 2022
Visit site
Sorry @Colif I was editing the post so you might have missed these:
Amazon.com: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8G Turbo Edition GDDR6 HDMI DisplayPort Graphics Card (TURBO-RTX2080S-8G-EVO) : Electronics

Amazon.com: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Super Turbo 8G Graphics Card, Turbo Style Fan, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N208STURBO-8GC Video Card : Electronics

They're half the price of the one you originally listed:

Are they better? Worse? Would I be able to install them?

I'll steer clearof changing the CPU or RAM and just try to figure out about how to run things more efficiently (there's no program or... I don't know, anything you'd recommend in terms of a program that would make better use of my RAM and making things run efficiently?), I'll focus on getting a better GPU & monitor/s.

In terms of where it is plugged into (the monitor), it's at the very bottom of the rig into what I am fairly sure is the GPU. Ok so since both monitors are plugged into it, it therefore should should make use of the GTX?

i don't see a price on first card, and 2nd one is unavailable
Hard to find Super cards, they stopped making that series before releasing 30 series, so they were rare on ground before 2020 happened. I would have liked a 2080 S but best I could do was a 2070S
Prices: Are you looking in AUD?

2080 probably needs 2 power connectors, a 6 pin and an 8pin, and the power needs of PSU probably increase too. The minimum required is above your 430watt PSU. They need 650w minimum. Its why i aimed at 2060 6gb as its the newest one they made. Original 2060 only had 2gb. extra vram helps a little.

you are likely using teh GTX now
one way to tell, right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter
once its opened, look on the display tab
it should look something like this
x4mTlp5.jpg

if it does, you probably using GTX card now. You don't have to do anything to use it.

Last edited:
notices 6600xt...
only draws 150watts (needs 1 extra 8 pin connector on PSU) and that only needs a 450w psu, so its close...
the 6600 needs 120w, needs 8 pin connector -
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6600.c3696
6500xt needs 118watts, needs 1 6 pin connector -
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6500-xt.c3850

note : 6600 is better. https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-6600-vs-AMD-RX-6500-XT/4128vsm1762761
guess 6600 is just better than 6500 and the XT versions are better than base models.

I don't know AMD GPU as well, only ever had 2 of them.

Some of the lower cards don't need extra power connectors.

AMD GPU are a better choice for low power PC. None of spikiness of 30 series cards. Easier on power supply.

I am sort of looking at the 6800xt myself but not until next year.

Need to check what extra power cables you have in PC. No point buying GPU if you can't power it.

note: I hate unfurl, why did it pick 2 links by random.

Last edited:
Promise no more!
A ha
Ah Ha ha
AHHH HAAAA Haa
Ahem…

I let Brian fill in the gaps
Aw look, who's being a real pal?
Since you read thru all that cra eloquent dissertation, why don't you identify the gaps, and I'll see what I can do?

stats or specs I should be looking for when it comes to a new monitor?

suggestions to get the best possible performance using the TV as a monitor?
All I can do is refer you to the sources I've used—from my notes:
TV v Monitor
Monitor +
Speed
Color Accuracy
Aspect ratios
TV +
Price
Size
Contrast
Cinematic Look
Ports + AirPlay
Multiple Inputs
OTA Tuner

Diff Monitors v TVs
Diff Between
OLED TV Pros-Cons
TVs v Monitors
TV for Gaming
TechQuickie tips

Essentials:
- Latency below 45ms for casual games and 30ms for action games.
- Support for the full RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 color space.
Nice to have:
- Support for refresh rates higher than 60Hz, without interpolation.
- Latency reducing PC or Game modes
Tips:
- Simply changing the name of a port from the generic HDMI_1 etc. to PC or GAME using the remote control’s customization feature often activates low latency modes in a TV’s firmware.
- Some older sets are hardwired to provide better PC input characteristics via specific ports, so swapping and checking the difference is worth the effort. Again, look for PC or Game designations and try those first.
- Turn off any remaining speed sapping post-processing modes.

I hate unfurl
You know how to fix it manually, right?

I think main gap was storage
SSD: Nvme PC711 SK hynix 256GB - 222.2%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 102.2%
- Finally, do you have any general tips that could potentially make my computer run smoothly? I don't have really any complaints, but do get the occasional lag. I've got an internal 1TB drive, Is there literally any point to buying something like this and just putting all my games on there? I'd have so much spare memory though.
WD 2TB P10 Game Drive Black | Officeworks

Don't buy a hdd, get an ssd. won't be as laggy then
can get 1tb for $169 - there are other cheaper brands but I see a lot of the cheaper ones die before they should, whereas Samsung drives just keep working - https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/sata-ssd/870-evo-1tb-sata-3-2-5-ssd-mz-77e1t0bw/
sure, 2tb drives are $335 but welll... you could replace the current 1tb drive with the ssd and buy an external caddy for the 1tb you have now.
Probably get it cheaper online. I wouldn't trust some of the sites on here though - 870 Evo search

@Brian Boru yes I know how to fix links but I just wish it was consistent. I also wish I understood what triggers it.

Jul 19, 2022
Visit site
i don't see a price on first card, and 2nd one is unavailable
Hard to find Super cards, they stopped making that series before releasing 30 series, so they were rare on ground before 2020 happened. I would have liked a 2080 S but best I could do was a 2070S
Prices: Are you looking in AUD?

2080 probably needs 2 power connectors, a 6 pin and an 8pin, and the power needs of PSU probably increase too. The minimum required is above your 430watt PSU. They need 650w minimum. Its why i aimed at 2060 6gb as its the newest one they made. Original 2060 only had 2gb. extra vram helps a little.

you are likely using teh GTX now
one way to tell, right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter
once its opened, look on the display tab
it should look something like this
x4mTlp5.jpg

if it does, you probably using GTX card now. You don't have to do anything to use it.

Regarding dxdiag, it has 3 displays listed, first 2 are GTX but the 3rd has Intel(R)UHD graphics 630 listed. I only run 2 monitors so am unsure why it has the 3rd. Under Sound. it has all the various speakers I have setup, so I know how to switch between them - how do I switch or make sure the comp is only using the GTX?

Regarding power connectors and pins, is there a way of finding what my setup would have without breaking it open? :p I wouldn't be able to tell how many pins there are, would have no idea what I'm looking at/for.

Thanks again for all this mate, I'm sorry I'm taking up so much of your time.

According to Dell
Starting with the release of the 2016 Aurora R5, if a discrete PCIe video card is installed, the onboard iGPU is unable to provide any signal.
So the 2 displays showing are probably both on your GTX 1650

I will dig a little more into your power supply. Dell chose your GPU specifically as its the last GPU released that doesn't need extra power... that makes me wonder if there are any extra cables. I have my doubts.

I may have wasted your time with GPU update advice.

The 460W does not support Retail upgrade cards only the low power down clocked OEM Dell cards. If you want to upgrade later make sure you have AT LEAST the 850W power supply.

Depends how much you want a new GPU I guess - https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...e-from-460W-to-750-850W-possible/td-p/7746091

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022
Visit site
Not at all mate! Thank you so much for even looking into this! Wow. So I'm really stuck. So basically to buy a new graphics card I'd have to upgrade the GPU too. The costs are mounting. Damn it. Not only the costs but the installation as well.

The one thing I CAN do, and do immediately, is get 2 new displays using my frequent flyer points (I have no money but a ridiculous amount of points). There are many gaming laptops listed to purchase, but unfortunately no desktops for some reason. Regardless, I was looking at these 2 displays:

Buy LG LG 27'' 4K IPS HDR 400 Monitor | Qantas Rewards Store
Buy LG 27'' UHD 4K IPS Monitor | Qantas Rewards Store << this one seems good?

I've found them both here:

27” UHD 4K IPS Monitor | 27UL500-W | LG Australia
LG 27UP600-W | 27 Inch UHD Monitor | LG Australia

There's this one but my current monitor is 75W and it doesn't seem much different:
Buy Acer V7 Series Full HD Monitor - 27 Inch | Qantas Rewards Store

I still really like having 2 27" monitors instead of one giant one.

My current 'good' monitor is a 2 year old:
Samsung 27" Full HD IPS FreeSync 75Hz Monitor (1920 x 1080), the other one is similar but only 60Hz.

Does it matter that the more expensive LG one listed above is only 60Hz? Or should I mainly focus on the fact that it is 3840 x 2160?

On another note, Dell recently came and repaired my Aurora with all new parts, but they were still the same old versions of everything. I was considering that if I was able to get them called out again, and with a CPU and a new graphics card in hand, they may install it when repairing it... But perhaps I just have to accept that I'm stuck where I am. I could spend some points, get 2 decent monitors that will hopefully be future-proof for a couple of years and see where I am. As always I'd appreciate your input mate, you've been so bloody good to me already.

Last edited:
Wow. So I'm really stuck. So basically to buy a new graphics card I'd have to upgrade the GPU too.
i expect you meant to say If I replace Graphics Card I need need a new Power Supply?

I would get the screens and just save and buy a better PC later, just know you won't be playing games at 4k with that GPU. But then I only have a 2070S and I can't run my display at its full speed in games right now. and its only 1440p. I buy monitors based on what I might be able to do in the future. Maybe next GPU can run it at 144hz

my current monitor is about 19 months old now - https://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-32GK650F-B
I had 4k but prefer 2k, easier to read.

I wondered if they were same monitor but it seems https://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-27up600-w has a better contrast ratio compared to other one, and its the cheaper one

advice: Don't buy next PC from Dell, plenty other places that can put PC together for you and use better parts. Some let you pick every part so that you get what you want. Dell should just ship their stuff to landfill but I guess they can get people to buy their rubbish. and do the dumping for them.

Does it matter that the more expensive LG one listed above is only 60Hz? Or should I mainly focus on the fact that it is 3840 x 2160?
i don't see refresh rate mentioned anywhere on either of them. I think it depends what you want to do with the monitors, are they for games or graphic design?

Jul 19, 2022
Visit site
Thanks mate. Yeah I did mean power supply sorry. I'm just thinking, is there a point of getting 2 new awesome monitors, when my current rig couldn't even really make use of them. I'm focused on gaming, not anything else. So perhaps I should just save up for a new comp and get the moniters then. That way, #1 they might (the monitors) might be cheaper in a few months by the time I can afford a new comp. #2 Again what would the point of having monitors that wouldn't make a difference if I have such a poor graphics card.

Maybe I could sell my rig (I mean it has new parts thanks to dell) for a couple of hundred bucks (although if you have a suggestion of how much you think it might be worth please let me know, I'd be putting it up on facebook marketplace. Once I've got a new comp, then I could use my frequent flyer points to buy the monitors then.

Far plan? Again I appreciate all your help and advice - I'm so sorry if the end result of this is to just buy a new comp or save for one when you've researched so many different things for me, so sorry mate. Please let me know your thoughts about this 'plan' so to speak as well as how much I should try to sell my rig (plus any other suggestions or input you think I should consider.

Thanks again mate for everything you've done, you've helped enormously.

its your PC, I was just offering ideas. Do what you want. :)

I don't mind, it made me look at what I could get next... like you I just keep saving as I don't need it now.
Buy monitors later, can you buy the same one twice at once or only one? I don't have any FF points.

I don't know what price would be. I don't sell my old PC, I have up until last one given them to a friend to use, but he has better now. I still like the case my last PC was in too much to part with it.

TRENDING THREADS