Question Mid-Week Question: What's your favorite game world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our question this week: What's your favorite game world? What world do you love escaping into, and what makes it such a great place to spend time?

I'm going to have to mull it over a bit myself, because I love escaping into the worlds of RDR2 and GTA, but also Skyrim and Oblivion, Fallout, Far Cry, and I even dove back into Mad Max recently. There a lot of great game worlds to choose from.

We'll be publishing your answers and our own on the site on Wednesday!

Right now it is playing GTA V online and doing vehicle cargo missions. I recently bought a Cargobob and it is just so relaxing taking the bob to the waypoint, hooking on a car, and delivering it back to the warehouse. I actually played with another bob lover yesterday and he even managed to hook on a car driving at full speed. This bob was a special one also, as it was honored in the server chat when it finally blew up. R.I.P bob!:)

Reactions: Pifanjr
Three games come to mind:

Skyrim as my favourite world to walk through. While the graphics were never top of the line, I always liked just roaming around nature and the world is just stuffed with interesting places and details.

Minecraft as my favourite world to interact with. Minecraft gives you so much power to shape the world exactly how you want it and so many options to do whatever you want in it.

Mass Effect as the world (or rather, universe) with my favourite story. There's some great world building in Mass Effect and it did a good job making me care about the characters and immersing me in its story.

Zloth

Community Contributor
If "game world" isn't limited to video games: Monte Cooke's Dark Space. You've got your fantasy magic, your (forbidden!) high tech, your bio-implants, a bunch of Lovecraft'ish monsters, and it's all based on the Rolemaster/Spacemaster systems!

If "game world" means "existing videogame world" then: Secret World. It was fun having a game set in current times and what I saw of the lore was really great. Unfortunately, I was burning out on MMOs so I didn't get far into the game. I sure wish they would develop a few single player games based on that world.

Reactions: reneg and Pifanjr
If "game world" isn't limited to video games: Monte Cooke's Dark Space. You've got your fantasy magic, your (forbidden!) high tech, your bio-implants, a bunch of Lovecraft'ish monsters, and it's all based on the Rolemaster/Spacemaster systems!

If "game world" means "existing videogame world" then: Secret World. It was fun having a game set in current times and what I saw of the lore was really great. Unfortunately, I was burning out on MMOs so I didn't get far into the game. I sure wish they would develop a few single player games based on that world.

If we're including tabletop, I vote for Eclipse Phase, even though I've only played 2 or 3 sessions. It has some great stuff about transhumanism, AIs and the implications of everyone being able to upload their consciousness to a computer (it's getting a body to put it back into that's the problem).

Also, I absolutely loved the idea of The Secret World. I had the Templar HQ as my wallpaper for a while. It was really disappointing when I saw the first gameplay trailer and realized it just wasn't the game for me.

Minecraft as my favourite world to interact with. Minecraft gives you so much power to shape the world exactly how you want it and so many options to do whatever you want in it.

I almost said Minecraft for the reasons you mentioned. Heavily modded Skyrim is also one I was considering. Also Witcher 3, and Red Dead Redemption 2. (I think RDR2 would probably eventually win if it ran better on my system, in terms of both keeping the settings right and loading times [once in, it runs just fine].)

But upon giving it some more thought in terms of just the game world itself, it turns out my "favorite" game world is not from my favorite game, or even my top ten favorites. Rather, it's from a game I had hoped would be my favorite game but fell short, and that's...

Fallout 4. Yeah, I'm surprised too.

The world feels excellently realized to me, and I enjoyed uncovering all the little details throughout. And while it sometimes felt like there were one too many Super Mutants running around for my liking (note to designers: sometimes less is more), I genuinely enjoyed the exploration, and even fixing up some of the settlements, which was more enjoyable when it wasn't a necessity. It's also why I'm sometimes tempted to give Fallout 76 a chance, despite knowing I probably wouldn't care for its MMO elements.

I loved the Fallout 1/2/3/NV settings, and their quirky bleakness, and 4 still had a lot of that. And though as a game in general its plotpoints left me flat and eventually disinterested in finding my son (though spoilers had a slight role in that), every positive memory I have of the game stems from exploration and just "living" in that post-apocalyptic world.

ETA: I'm really hoping Cyberpunk 2077 will have that same level of joy of discovery, and that the plot will allow me enough breathing room to explore and make those discoveries.

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Definitely agree with the Skyrim and Far Cry. Especially Skyrim's atmosphere has something different. I feel like I am inside there, with them. On the other hand in Far Cry 3, I feel peaceful on the island. Both games has different atmospheres and it feels so realistic to me.

Jun 22, 2020
Visit site
I almost said Minecraft for the reasons you mentioned. Heavily modded Skyrim is also one I was considering. Also Witcher 3, and Red Dead Redemption 2. (I think RDR2 would probably eventually win if it ran better on my system, in terms of both keeping the settings right and loading times [once in, it runs just fine].)

But upon giving it some more thought in terms of just the game world itself, it turns out my "favorite" game world is not from my favorite game, or even my top ten favorites. Rather, it's from a game I had hoped would be my favorite game but fell short, and that's...

Fallout 4. Yeah, I'm surprised too.

The world feels excellently realized to me, and I enjoyed uncovering all the little details throughout. And while it sometimes felt like there were one too many Super Mutants running around for my liking (note to designers: sometimes less is more), I genuinely enjoyed the exploration, and even fixing up some of the settlements, which was more enjoyable when it wasn't a necessity. It's also why I'm sometimes tempted to give Fallout 76 a chance, despite knowing I probably wouldn't care for its MMO elements.

I loved the Fallout 1/2/3/NV settings, and their quirky bleakness, and 4 still had a lot of that. And though as a game in general its plotpoints left me flat and eventually disinterested in finding my son (though spoilers had a slight role in that), every positive memory I have of the game stems from exploration and just "living" in that post-apocalyptic world.

ETA: I'm really hoping Cyberpunk 2077 will have that same level of joy of discovery, and that the plot will allow me enough breathing room to explore and make those discoveries.
Post -apocalyptic worlds are where I love to be myself. Fallout 3 was my first ever PC game as well as my first video game as an adult. I guess that's one of the reasons why I like the Metro series so much.

Reactions: Krud and Pifanjr
Dark Souls! I mean, it's the Dark Souls of world building after all! Hiding much of the story in item descriptions and environment details made falling off the same ledge to my death for the seventh time almost bearable! Why is there a dead dragon here? Who's armor is this? Why did my head burst into pustules that absorb half the souls I gather? Hey-ho read some item descriptions and look around a bit.

I've also grown quite fond of the solar system of Outer Wilds over these past few days. It's filled with endearing explorers, spectacular environments, and (much like Dark Souls) a story that you slowly unravel through exploration, puzzle solving and repeatedly dying by falling off the same ledge.

Last edited:
Not exactly a game, but a simulation, Space Engine. Though you can set up your rocket or space ship to explore, sometimes it's fun to just zip over to somewhere at faster than warp speed.

Literally pick a star, planet, asteroid, whatever, and you can visit there, as well as any galaxy. One of my favorites is the center of the Milky Way, where you will run into the Sagittarius A* Milky Way Central Supermassive Black Hole. I play on a 27" screen in windowed mode and this thing freaks me out with its sheer power.

With the atmospheric music this program delivers, I am immediately immersed and in awe as to how large the galaxy is, let alone this part of the universe. There is so much to explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts