May 2024 General Game Discussions

Page 10 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
May 13, 2024
Visit site
Hellblade 2 looks amazing but its got 5 hours run time and 3 hours of that is cut scenes.
If graphics were all you needed to make a game sell... it would be a good game

But we still not in the stage where a game is just about dazzling audience with graphics. It needs more.

I got caught up in some of the hype and decided I'd go buy the first one as I hadn't played it yet. So I go to Steam to buy it, and of course it's already in my library.
loser.gif

I've played it for a little bit and the PvP seemed like the only interesting thing about the game.
I’m not really into PVP in games like this where you are in a shared world with other players. I personally prefer to work together, make friends or avoid other people all together, and PVP only when it makes sense, like trying to raid another players ship. But I also understand I’m in the minority with that mindset, people who enjoy fighting others will find fun in this game, but I think something like Rust is better for that sort of thing.
I don't care about cosmetics, so that being the only thing you can spend gold on means I have no real motivation to get any and there isn't much else to do in the game.
Ah yup, that makes me even less likely to play it then. I also couldn't give a single **** about cosmetics.
It does kind of suck that is the only thing you are working towards reward/progression wise, but it’s kind of the whole point of the game I guess. I think the main purpose is that they want you to enjoy the adventure and roleplay of being a pirate without hassle of needing to unlock skills and perks to be better and more powerful than you were before. It’s commendable, but it absolutely does kill your motivation to play if you aren’t one to enjoy the exploration and adventuring aspects of the game. I do wish there was a bit more motivation and rewards to work towards. Absolutely everything in terms of rewards and progression is cosmetics. There are some factions with their own individual ranks, but all that gives you is more access to different missions, which in turn you only do to make money to buy cosmetics.

The Tall Tales are the main “story missions” of the game. It’s what we enjoy doing the most because it’s structured a lot more traditionally, so there are objectives and checkpoints to reach. They’re very fun, especially the Monkey Island one, but at the end of it all you just make money and use it to buy more cosmetics. The main motivation to play the Tall Tales is to enjoy the story and adventure, and I suppose the rest of the game is like that too.

I’m not really into PVP in games like this where you are in a shared world with other players. I personally prefer to work together, make friends or avoid other people all together, and PVP only when it makes sense, like trying to raid another players ship. But I also understand I’m in the minority with that mindset, people who enjoy fighting others will find fun in this game, but I think something like Rust is better for that sort of thing.

It does kind of suck that is the only thing you are working towards reward/progression wise, but it’s kind of the whole point of the game I guess. I think the main purpose is that they want you to enjoy the adventure and roleplay of being a pirate without hassle of needing to unlock skills and perks to be better and more powerful than you were before. It’s commendable, but it absolutely does kill your motivation to play if you aren’t one to enjoy the exploration and adventuring aspects of the game. I do wish there was a bit more motivation and rewards to work towards. Absolutely everything in terms of rewards and progression is cosmetics. There are some factions with their own individual ranks, but all that gives you is more access to different missions, which in turn you only do to make money to buy cosmetics.

The Tall Tales are the main “story missions” of the game. It’s what we enjoy doing the most because it’s structured a lot more traditionally, so there are objectives and checkpoints to reach. They’re very fun, especially the Monkey Island one, but at the end of it all you just make money and use it to buy more cosmetics. The main motivation to play the Tall Tales is to enjoy the story and adventure, and I suppose the rest of the game is like that too.

The exploration does appeal to me, as that is primarily the kind of gamer I am (I think), but I'm just not sure that working towards cosmetics would really keep my interest, unfortunately.

Well this like it could be fun. But also looks like it could be one of those memes that turns out to be kind of mediocre, but I'll certainly hope for the former.

So I took today off to make it a 4-day weekend! I was gonna jump in first thing this morning and continue Dragon Age: Origins (first time playing). Yet here I am, it's already 11:15 am PDT and I'm on web forums lol.

Additionally, I also have a Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 that I'll be setting up today. Been sitting in the box for a month now as I haven't had the time to install it yet.

Boy, this is my life right here. I spend way more time messing around on forums and looking at my phone or youtube or something when I could actually be getting down with some games. Not sure what that's about.

I got caught up in some of the hype and decided I'd go buy the first one as I hadn't played it yet. So I go to Steam to buy it, and of course it's already in my library.
loser.gif

Too many games syndrome. But also a nice feeling when you don't need to spend money.

Abiotic Factor is fun. One major tip for playing the game. When you first start your world, go into the options and set it so that resources respawn. If you don't do this, you have to play the game very fast or you run out of materials and can't make ammo anymore. Endlessly respawning enemies plus no ammo is kind of not fun.

Also, if you are going to play by yourself, you might want to make the game slightly easier, as it isn't balanced for one player.

Thanks for the heads-up, I definitely did this for my first play, as I do like to play slow and I also intend to play (pretty much) entirely solo.

So far, it seems pretty cool! Really gives me original Half-Life vibes, which is the intent, of course. Nice that it feels pretty different from your usual survival games and I like that I'm not building a "base" per se, like you would in anything else where you're essentially building a house or a home. I'm never any good at it and it generally just makes me bored to construct them, especially when I could be out exploring and gathering.

Plus I'm early enough in the game still (2-hours) that it still feels terrifying. I saw my first security bot and booked it back to my safe zone before I could find out anymore about it. Just a really neat game that I'm liking very much aesthetically and gameplay wise.

Also, it's working great with my eGPU. Where I can also play on my Deck at a locked 30FPS 800p, I can do native res on my laptop at a locked 30FPS as well. Just overall very impressed with this thing and the performance boost it's giving me and it's also kind of neat that it's just sitting on the side table next to my couch and working its magic. It still kind of feels like magic to me, given I can still remember installing my first Voodoo card and chaining it to my 2D graphics card back in 1996 or whenever it was.

The exploration does appeal to me, as that is primarily the kind of gamer I am (I think), but I'm just not sure that working towards cosmetics would really keep my interest, unfortunately.

Well this like it could be fun. But also looks like it could be one of those memes that turns out to be kind of mediocre, but I'll certainly hope for the former.

Boy, this is my life right here. I spend way more time messing around on forums and looking at my phone or youtube or something when I could actually be getting down with some games. Not sure what that's about.

Too many games syndrome. But also a nice feeling when you don't need to spend money.

Thanks for the heads-up, I definitely did this for my first play, as I do like to play slow and I also intend to play (pretty much) entirely solo.

So far, it seems pretty cool! Really gives me original Half-Life vibes, which is the intent, of course. Nice that it feels pretty different from your usual survival games and I like that I'm not building a "base" per se, like you would in anything else where you're essentially building a house or a home. I'm never any good at it and it generally just makes me bored to construct them, especially when I could be out exploring and gathering.

Plus I'm early enough in the game still (2-hours) that it still feels terrifying. I saw my first security bot and booked it back to my safe zone before I could find out anymore about it. Just a really neat game that I'm liking very much aesthetically and gameplay wise.

Also, it's working great with my eGPU. Where I can also play on my Deck at a locked 30FPS 800p, I can do native res on my laptop at a locked 30FPS as well. Just overall very impressed with this thing and the performance boost it's giving me and it's also kind of neat that it's just sitting on the side table next to my couch and working its magic. It still kind of feels like magic to me, given I can still remember installing my first Voodoo card and chaining it to my 2D graphics card back in 1996 or whenever it was.
(very, very slight irrelevant spoilers ahead)
I have no idea how far you are in the game, but I'm going to try to describe what I think is the best place to put a base without spoiling anything. There is an elevator that doesn't work on the bottom floor that I'm sure you've already come across. You will come across this elevator again on the third floor. From here, you can get the elevator to work and go back and forth to the bottom floor.

Across from the elevator is a room with a broken door and a large, closed hatch door that you can't open. To the left is a small room and it has an infinite water source. This whole area, including the elevator area and the room with the water source, makes the perfect place for a base. For one thing, the infinite water source is priceless. There are also 3 or 4 water coolers on this level you can pack up and bring back. You have easy access to the elevator. Nothing too dangerous ever shows up here unless certain things happen that can happen no matter where you put your base. This area is also convenient to several recharging stations and a couple of other things I won't mention.

Is it David Attenborough narrating, or an AI version of him?
Which is cheaper?
Which is more likely of a non AAAA game?
Since Maximum Entertainment is the publisher, I'm guessing it's David Attenborough. Couldn't cost that much to get a trailer narrated. Less than a lawsuit.

Or it could be someone imitating David Attenborough, like the rally game with "Arnold". You don't get sued for impressions.

AI would be my last guess since you will get sued for that one.

Since Maximum Entertainment is the publisher, I'm guessing it's David Attenborough. Couldn't cost that much to get a trailer narrated. Less than a lawsuit.

Or it could be someone imitating David Attenborough, like the rally game with "Arnold". You don't get sued for impressions.
Theres Youtube channels that do Warhammer 40K lore videos read by David Attenborough. Probably be a whole cottage industry of AI/impressions.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QAY1Ti5uY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4HbHWIR1o0&t=6s

See also:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPiHq9PL7zM

Last edited:
You mean he didn't narrate a Warzone video?

you can use AI voice clones.

He is 98, I don't think he is working now on random PC games. Or even concerned about it.

Who owns his voice once he is gone/retired anyway? Is it next area for publishers to claim off us? sorry you can't talk, we own your voice. Can only say things we agree with... um... I don't like this already.

Last edited:
Theres Youtube channels that do Warhammer 40K lore videos read by David Attenborough. Probably be a whole cottage industry of AI/impressions.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QAY1Ti5uY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4HbHWIR1o0&t=6s

See also:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPiHq9PL7zM
There's a big difference between a random person's YouTube video and a commercial, which is what a trailer is. It could be an impression by a paid voice actor.

As I said, it could be AI, but they are really opening themselves up to trouble if that's what they did. There is already one large lawsuit re TikTok due to AI.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between a random person's YouTube video and a commercial, which is what a trailer is. It could be an impression by a paid voice actor.

As I said, it could be AI, but they are really opening themselves up to trouble if that's what they did. There is already one large lawsuit re TikTok due to AI.
Not a lawyer, but theyre all monetized so would there be a difference? I suppose as far as exposure goes a trailer might get more views so theyd care more.

Was more just pointing out this is pretty common.
Who owns his voice once he is gone/retired anyway? Is it next area for publishers to claim off us? sorry you can't talk, we own your voice. Can only say things we agree with... um... I don't like this already.
That sounds like a whole nest.

i watched some walking (can't call it gameplay) in Hellblade 2 and without the constant voices talking at you, the game would be an even more boring walk through fairly interesting backgrounds. You on a path so where you going is pretty obvious. I don't know how much time of is actually spent doing something challenging... otherwise known as combat. Rest of game is tedious... shame Xbox fanboys are defending it as they wanted a good game for their console... shame they still waiting.

Not a lawyer, but theyre all monetized so would there be a difference? I suppose as far as exposure goes a trailer might get more views so theyd care more.

Was more just pointing out this is pretty common.

That sounds like a whole nest.
There would be a huge difference. If a regular video gets 1 million views, the YouTuber earns up to a few thousand dollars. No one really cares. Meanwhile, if an ad for a $30 game gets 1 million views, several things happen. First, if 5 percent of those viewers buy the game, that's $1.5 million in sales. Quite a bit different from the few thousand the YouTuber makes and something possibly worth suing for. But that's not the end of it. What if some of the people who watch that ad are big-time Twitch streamers? What if they play the game and cause it to sell a million copies? That's another $30 million dollars in sales partly because they used someone's voice without permission. That someone would probably like to have some of that $30 million.

There are lots of other things happening, too. IGN has posted the video, for instance. It's not about how legal something is. It's about how much there is to be gained.

Last edited:
There would be a huge difference. If a regular video gets 1 million views, the YouTuber earns up to a few thousand dollars. No one really cares. Meanwhile, if an add for a $30 game gets 1 million views, several things happen. First, if 5 percent of those viewers buy the game, that's $1.5 million in sales. Quite a bit different from the few thousand the YouTuber makes and something possibly worth suing for. But that's not the end of it. What if some of the people who watch that add are big-time Twitch streamers? What if they play the game and cause it to sell a million copies? That's another $30 million dollars in sales partly because they used someone's voice without permission. That someone would probably like to have some of that $30 million.

There are lots of other things happening, too. IGN has posted the video, for instance. It's not about how legal something is. It's about how much there is to be gained.
Makes sense. Guess it must be an impersonator then, they would surely know better than to use an AI voice if its a legal problem.

i've been looking at the news concerning dave the diver having time limited DLC. Part of me is starting to crack just to get that game early for the DLC. i know game is good and is on my wishlist but i usually wait a bit till i'm ready or at a dirt cheap price.

Anyway onto other games, i'm playing arcade tycoon. Only started and theres plenty to like, but also a fair few things i think could be improved. Reserving judgement for now after i unlock a few things and get to grips with the game more.

Makes sense. Guess it must be an impersonator then, they would surely know better than to use an AI voice if its a legal problem.
Best I can tell it is. Voice actors are allowed to trademark their voices, and there is already at least one lawsuit going. At the very least it's a serious risk. If it were my voice and they used AI, I'd just sit back and wait to see how many copies they sold before complaining :)

See the thing about civil lawsuits in the US is that no laws have to be broken. You can basically say, "You owe me money because..." and go to court and see if a jury agrees with you, so there may be a risk even without AI, but I assume that impersonators must have a history of being protected by the courts.

Meanwhile I spelled ad as "add" twice. Such a moron.

Last edited:
I picked up my wireless controller today and it works flawlessly with my phone, but it did tell me I needed to download the Xbox Game Pass app, which doesn't seem to actually contain any configuration options for the controller.

I tried it with Pokémon Infinite Fusion, which went great. Then I tried it with Fortnite and both me and my kid were having a lot of difficulties adjusting to the controller. The main problem being that aiming with an analog stick is much harder than with a touchscreen.

Hopefully I can tweak some settings to make it feel a bit better. I used to be pretty decent playing shooters with a controller, I played a lot of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 on the hardest difficulty with my friend when I was a kid, but that's like 15 years ago.

Guido and Elly May are in town and were playing what I assume was some PvP game. I was upstairs, and they immediately left after the game to go to a wedding, or I would ask them what game it was. All I heard was Elly May scream, "Good Lord! How the *$#@! did you get 150 kills?" and Guido laughing. Funny thing is, he's always an objectives guy. He never goes off to camp for kills. In Helldivers 2, he's always first to the objective and has it nearly done by the time the rest of us show up. Same way when we used to play Battlefield, Warframe and Plants vs Zombies 3. Even in Forza, which he's actually not very good at, he would usually be the first person to grab the other team's flag.

LATER: LOL I was just sitting here not hitting the post button when Elly May called, and I asked her what they had been playing and by the time we hung up I'd forgotten the name. Good to know I'm "still" a genius. I'd never heard of it before, though. It may have not been a PvP game after all. I think I've heard of most of those.

It's not about how legal something is. It's about how much there is to be gained

Exactly—that's wham funds those patent vampires. Rich targets pay up to avoid hassle, bad publicity and remote chance of losing.

I spelled ad as "add" twice

Yay, another for the fav typo list :D

time limited DLC

You mean DLC won't be available after X date? I'll bet all my debt that it will be in some GotY or Ultimate version a year or two later.

It may have not been a PvP game after all. I think I've heard of most of those

The new 'CoD Killer' XDefiant?

I played some games of Fortnite with my wife and a friend of hers this evening, using my new controller. Aiming went a bit better after some practice, but I also quickly discovered aiming isn't actually very important in the current season. The current season includes a heavy dosis of Mad Max, meaning you can now add spikes to your car's bumper and just run into other players until they're dead. With more ways to fix up cars and refuel them without having to leave the car you can basically spend the entire game in a car.

There's probably a lot of people very upset about this, but it works out great for me. It's a lot easier to hit someone with a car than with a gun.

Exactly—that's wham funds those patent vampires. Rich targets pay up to avoid hassle, bad publicity and remote chance of losing.

Yay, another for the fav typo list :D

You mean DLC won't be available after X date? I'll bet all my debt that it will be in some GotY or Ultimate version a year or two later.

The new 'CoD Killer' XDefiant?
No, I would have remembered XDefiant. I actually need to let them know that's free. Sounds like something they'd like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts