Mass Effect Legendary Edition achievements glitch

May 4, 2020
Visit site
So, I didn't see anything about this posted in the forums, but the Legendary Edition of Mass Effect 2 and 3 both have a glitch where it gives you all the achievements in both games, but in a way that won't unlock them on the EA App or Steam. I do believe that EA knows about it, and is working on it, but I figured it's important enough to let people know. :)

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity by adding "achievements ".]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played both ME1 & ME2 in Legendary, and I haven't had a glitch with the achievements like you describe. I've still got to playthrough ME3 yet, but in ME 2 I only got achievements as I earned them, and I still have a bunch that are locked.
NteJvey.png

Maybe it's a random glitch? Maybe @Zloth will chime in here, because I think he was having issues with getting achievements to even unlock. Something to do with the EA App, I think.

I have no doubt that EA knows there is an issue with achievements in Steam, but as far as them working to fix the issue, I wouldn't hold my breath, they're notoriously lax when it comes to issues like that, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: Brian Boru
May 4, 2020
Visit site
Yeah, it's mainly with the EA App, IIRC, I honestly just hope the story gets picked up by someone so there's a light on it. The EA App causes the achievements to not proc in ME2 and 3, and this is like a new problem since they switched to using the EA App instead of Origin. There WAS a workaround but that was weirdly squashed. And I know I'm foolish for thinking EA would care, but part of me still has some hope. XD

Reactions: mainer

Zloth

Community Contributor
I do believe that EA knows about it, and is working on it...
They know about it, but there's no chance they are working on it - because they have known about it for several months, maybe over a year. The new EA App came out quite some time ago, had the issue, and people reported it. Then the EA App became required without any fix.

There are a few guides on Steam for how to keep the old Origin application working but it's fairly hacky. I kept it going through ME2.

I'm pretty ticked at EA about it. ME Legendary is not nearly old enough to be abandoning like this! I'm not likely to buy anything from EA for quite awhile. A pity, I was looking forward to the new Jedi game.

Jun 12, 2023
Visit site
There are workarounds that we can find on Steam and that's why some people get the achievements now, but seriously, the fact EA doesn't bother to correct it is really sad to say the least, especially when the workarounds aren't retroactive so if you want to get the achievements, you have to replay the whole two games and unlock them.

It's strange how it works perfectly on ME1 and suddenly stops working on ME2. Maybe because they have reworked on the first one recently (and less on the sequels are they were less outdated) ? That's like the only EA games where that happens.

It's kinda frustrating too when we have friends who get them because they played one year ago or so, when it was Origin and no the EA app, and you can't. But my main issue is some achievements bring bonuses. Well I don't know if the ME2 ones bring bonuses to ME3, the way ME1 ones do to ME2 (bonus powers and all). Is it the case ?

May 4, 2020
Visit site
There are workarounds that we can find on Steam and that's why some people get the achievements now, but seriously, the fact EA doesn't bother to correct it is really sad to say the least, especially when the workarounds aren't retroactive so if you want to get the achievements, you have to replay the whole two games and unlock them.

It's strange how it works perfectly on ME1 and suddenly stops working on ME2. Maybe because they have reworked on the first one recently (and less on the sequels are they were less outdated) ? That's like the only EA games where that happens.

It's kinda frustrating too when we have friends who get them because they played one year ago or so, when it was Origin and no the EA app, and you can't. But my main issue is some achievements bring bonuses. Well I don't know if the ME2 ones bring bonuses to ME3, the way ME1 ones do to ME2 (bonus powers and all). Is it the case ?
Yeah, I tried starting a new game in ME3, and it had the bonuses. Very weird. Though, on the Answers.EA,com forums, they are asking for reports on it so they can pinpoint where it's happening from, so there's that.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Pinpoint where it's from? I'm pretty certain it happened to absolutely everybody when the EA app appeared. You start Mass Effect 2 and it thinks you already have all the achievements. The game only reports that you got an achievement to Steam if you didn't have it already, so... no achievements awarded.

Summer is coming, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll let an intern fix the issue.

Jun 12, 2023
Visit site
The game only reports that you got an achievement to Steam if you didn't have it already, so... no achievements awarded.
So, that's the cause ? I wondered why that happened. It's weird it works perfectly for ME1 though. But yeah, everything began with this app, that's a fact, as it doesn't even unlock in the app itself. I could get there would be some compatibility issue between the app and Steam but the fact that doesn't even work properly in the EA app itself is quite outrageous.

Yeah, I tried starting a new game in ME3, and it had the bonuses. Very weird.
Are you sure it was the achievements bonuses (like when you get a bonus power because you used it a lot in the previous game) and not the save bonuses (which should work properly) ?

May 4, 2020
Visit site
They're looking to what part of the EA App is screwing up the achievements, because I believe because when the achievement doesn't proc in that, it doesn't pass it on to Steam, or something like that, it may be some spaghetti code.

Also, I *think* it was the achievements bonuses because I never even touched ME3 before this bug.