Legion Tower 5 gets D3D11-compatible GPU message

Jan 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello!

I just bought a gaming computer for my son. It worked fine running Steam and Roblox for about 2 days. And then when he opened up a Steam game he had been playing those two days it gave this message, "A D3D11-compatible GPU (Feature Level 11.0, Shader Model 5.0) is required to run the engine".

I tried to fix it with Google recommendations, but to no avail. Can anyone please help me? I feel so bad; poor kid got it for Christmas and only used it for a few hours.

I updated Windows, updated the driver, checked c++, etc.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from "D3D11-compatible GPU message".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi @francesconiJ ,

What game is he trying to run and what are the machine specs (graphics card specifically)? Does this happen with only one or all games?
Hi @francesconiJ ,

What game is he trying to run and what are the machine specs (graphics card specifically)? Does this happen with only one or all games?
Hi! Thanks for replying! I am so lost (I'm a neuroscientist, not gamer or IT professional). He is trying to play Police Simulator on the Steam platform. Every game platform works fine (he only has Roblox in addition to Steam) until the message comes up on accessing Steam games; then even Roblox is lagged.

The graphics card is: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics (or so that is what task manager says)!

Reactions: Brian Boru

Zloth

Community Contributor
The graphics card is: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics (or so that is what task manager says)!
That's actually the CPU, but the CPU itself can handle graphics. It can definitely handle DirectX 11.

You updated the drivers, but which drivers?

Also, if you completely reboot the machine, does Roblox still lag a lot?

It might be good to try some other game. It sounds like you don't have any more, but quite a few games provide free demos. (E.g. The Stanley Parable).

So he had actually been playing the game for 2 days, and then it stopped working? Do you have any ideas of anything that might have changed on the computer when it stopped working? Like was there a Windows update that may have caused it to stop working?

Plus, I also would like to know which drivers you updated. There are a lot of drivers, but some of them wouldn't apply to this. It sounds like you're using integrated graphics, rather than a dedicated video card. Your CPU is pretty decent, but integrated graphics aren't optimal for gaming. But if he had been playing the game, that's evidence the integrated graphics can handle it. If you could tell us which drivers you updated, that would help. What you need are the latest "Adrenaline Edition" drivers from here. Just choose the download for your OS, whether it's Windows 10 or 11.

Jan 12, 2023
Visit site
So he had actually been playing the game for 2 days, and then it stopped working? Do you have any ideas of anything that might have changed on the computer when it stopped working? Like was there a Windows update that may have caused it to stop working?

Plus, I also would like to know which drivers you updated. There are a lot of drivers, but some of them wouldn't apply to this. It sounds like you're using integrated graphics, rather than a dedicated video card. Your CPU is pretty decent, but integrated graphics aren't optimal for gaming. But if he had been playing the game, that's evidence the integrated graphics can handle it. If you could tell us which drivers you updated, that would help. What you need are the latest "Adrenaline Edition" drivers from here. Just choose the download for your OS, whether it's Windows 10 or 11.

Yes, it was working fine with the game for about 2 days. I don't recall any event (e.g., Windows update) occurring in that time that might have impacted it.

Geek Squad "fixed" the problem by updating "the driver" they said. They didn't say which one. It was "fixed" for 2 hours, then reverted back to this message.

I found out the Graphics cards is AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT, if that matters.

I will try your recommendation and let you know if it worked!

Jan 12, 2023
Visit site
That's actually the CPU, but the CPU itself can handle graphics. It can definitely handle DirectX 11.

You updated the drivers, but which drivers?

Also, if you completely reboot the machine, does Roblox still lag a lot?

It might be good to try some other game. It sounds like you don't have any more, but quite a few games provide free demos. (E.g. The Stanley Parable).
Whoops! I found out the graphics card. It is AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT.

I don't know what driver Geek Squad updated. I thought I updated a driver (using Google search to figure it out), but I don't know which one!

I'll look in to other games with free demos too.

Reactions: Brian Boru
To be honest, I'm not sure. It's connected via HDMI cable from monitor to the HDMI port on the back of the tower. I don't see anywhere else where there is an HDMI port on the tower...

View: https://imgur.com/a/r5PXh6i

I circled in blue the HDMI ports on a random PC, the top one is the motherboard, the bottom one is the graphics card. Might be worth having a look as you'll want the bottom one. The graphics card will be a lot more powerful.

I found out the Graphics cards is AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT, if that matters.

I will try your recommendation and let you know if it worked!
That's good to know. I think it would work a lot better than integrated graphics. Since you do have a dedicated video card, you would probably want different drivers than the one I linked to. Here's the link for that video card. It looks like it might possibly be the same driver download, though.

Thanks! I don't see an HDMI port in the top. It's only in the bottom. I looked a good while just now lol.
If you can, it might be helpful if you could post a picture of the back of the PC, so we could look at exactly what you're dealing with. Alm made a very good point. If you have a dedicated video card, but you're plugging into the motherboard's HDMI, then that could be the problem. My oldest son did the same thing.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm
Jan 12, 2023
Visit site
That's good to know. I think it would work a lot better than integrated graphics. Since you do have a dedicated video card, you would probably want different drivers than the one I linked to. Here's the link for that video card. It looks like it might possibly be the same driver download, though.

Thank you! Okay, so I updated the driver using the link you sent. It is now working. My only fear is I believe Geek Squad did the same thing and we know how that went. If it happens again, is there a reason? Is something wrong? Am I an idiot?

If you can, it might be helpful if you could post a picture of the back of the PC, so we could look at exactly what you're dealing with. Alm made a very good point. If you have a dedicated video card, but you're plugging into the motherboard's HDMI, then that could be the problem. My oldest son did the same thing.

I can post a picture of the back if that would be helpful. I don't see how I can on here though. The only option I see is to insert a URL. (Again see above - I'm an idiot).

Thanks!!

TRENDING THREADS