Interested in Trying Skyrim

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
Hello! I currently only play Sims once in awhile and enjoy building houses there, so I am bored and interested in something more in depth. I have always wanted to try Skyrim. Does anyone know of any free demos? Because I am unsure if my PC is capable of running the game, which is mostly why I'd like to test it before I purchase - my specs are listed below. My notebook is an Asus Q302U which is attached to a monitor via HDMI. The notebook is quite a few years old! I have considered purchasing a new SS hard drive, but have yet to do so.

Maybe someone has other game ideas? I'm not terribly picky, would prefer more adult oriented games though. I've been seeing a lot about Animal Crossing but it seems like a kids game. Maybe I'm wrong?

Windows 10 64Bit
Intel Core I5 6200u, 2.3ghz
Intel HD Graphics
6GB Ram

Reactions: Mazer
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
According to the Steam page system requirements your system doesn't quite meet the minimum. It may still run but the HD graphics and RAM are going to be a problem.
  • MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB
    • Storage: 12 GB available space

Reactions: Frindis and K8xp

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
According to the Steam page system requirements your system doesn't quite meet the minimum. It may still run but the HD graphics and RAM are going to be a problem.
  • MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB
    • Storage: 12 GB available space

That depends, the Original Skyrim has the following recommended system requirements:
- OS: Windows 7/Vista/ XP (but it runs on Windows 10 fine)
- CPU: Quad Core Intel / AMD
- Memory: 4GB
- GPU: Directx 9.0 compitable video card with 1gb of RAM (GTX260 or higher).

I used to play Skyrim on an old and pretty bad PC (AMD A3620 with 512mb of VRAM) and it ran pretty decent, so I think, but don't quote me on that, that your laptop should be able to run the original edition of Skyrim. Just to mention: I feel like it tends to be buggier than the SE too.

Also, if I'm right you should have Steam's refund policy all over the world right? So if you notice within 2 hours that you can't run the game you can refund it?

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
Oh wow I didn't know that they would offer refunds within 2 hours, I will verify with them cause I would like to try it. I might just pull the trigger and buy an SSD and graphics card if it doesn't work. I honestly need it anyway, especially working from home now.

@K8xp I hope you manage to get it to run smoothly and have a nice experience. It is a very good RPG!

As for an adult-oriented game tip, I would recommend Fallout 3: New Vegas. A post-apocalyptic RPG game with good stories, atmosphere, DLC and interesting perks&weapons to choose from. Take a gander at some gameplay videos and see how you like the setting.

As for GOG's refund policy:

"If, within 30 days after the purchase of your game, you experience technical problems or game-breaking bugs that prevent you from finishing your game, contact our customer support. They will do their best to help you fix the problem and if, at the end of their attempts to solve the problem your game is still not working, we'll give you back your money"

Keep in mind, this policy will only be eligible if your PC meets the required specifications:

Windows 7 / 8 / 10
Dual Core 2.0GHz
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6 series, ATI 1300XT series (from what I have read from people using HD, you should be able to run it, but to be completely sure: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
10GB free space

Last edited:
Reactions: randyl
Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
Fallout was my second choice actually. They seem similar and equally difficult and in depth. I'm wondering if the game specs are available space, or just the PC total capability.

So I'm not exactly a genius with computers but I looked into my current remaining storage and memory in the main drive via MSINFO which says 2.76GB available physical memory.
3.41GB available virtual memory.
863.53GB free storage space.

Skyrim is the best option for a Sims fan, because you can get the Hearthfire DLC and build a house and move a spouse and kids into it. Did you like Sims Medieval? Skyrim isn't actually a million miles away from that. Skyrim is also not as combat-oriented as the Fallout games are.

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
As for an adult-oriented game tip, I would recommend Fallout 3: New Vegas. A post-apocalyptic RPG game with good stories, atmosphere, DLC and interesting perks&weapons to choose from. Take a gander at some gameplay videos and see how you like the setting.
This is a really good suggestion. I think it offers a better narrative experience out of the box with DLC. Skyrim is better if the OP wants mods. There is Endereal if they can get old Skyrim running. I'd still vote for FO:NV though.

Reactions: K8xp
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello! I currently only play Sims once in awhile and enjoy building houses there, so I am bored and interested in something more in depth. I have always wanted to try Skyrim.

Wow, interested in trying Skyrim?? That's like considering trying burritos for the first time!

So the integrated graphics is your problem. I doubt you could do much Skyrim.
I spent a few months at my folks' house with on-board graphics recently and made do pretty nicely.

I played Animal Crossing for a while- it's addictive but yeah, ultimately a little bubble-gum for my taste.

The one that I played the most was Darkest Dungon. This is a Lovecraftian roguelike dungeon game. It's super dark and awesome and runs well on modern integrated graphics. It's actually way deeper than it seems at first and the levels and dungeons are all random, so it's never the same. Brilliant art design, narration and music.

As a bonus, Darkest Dungeon II has been announced, though there's not much info on it yet.

Try Darkest Dungeon- it's a classic!

P.S. I saw your follow-up- that's awesome you can run skyrim! IN THAT CASE, definitely try Mount & Blade: Warband as well as Darkest Dungeon!

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
Doing good so far! Have died three times. Yesterday by a snow troll heading to High Hrothgar, that thing was a bit ruthless. I am learning little by little. Have gotten pretty good at using an axe while on a horse. I also learned to mod and downloaded a better map that shows roads.

Reactions: Zoid and Pifanjr
Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
I still don't quite understand stealing stuff. Are there repercussions to stealing if nobody witnesses you steal food and weapons? And sleep. Should I sleep every day or what? Lol.

Reactions: Zoid
Doing good so far! Have died three times. Yesterday by a snow troll heading to High Hrothgar, that thing was a bit ruthless. I am learning little by little. Have gotten pretty good at using an axe while on a horse. I also learned to mod and downloaded a better map that shows roads.

I see you have made your first step towards the ultimate Skyrim experience: browsing and installing 200+ mods, while never getting around to actually playing the game.

Reactions: Deviat3 and Zoid
I still don't quite understand stealing stuff. Are there repercussions to stealing if nobody witnesses you steal food and weapons? And sleep. Should I sleep every day or what? Lol.

All stolen stuff is taken away if you ever get arrested by the guards for any reason. Also you cannot sell stolen stuff to regular stores. Other than that I don't think there's any consequences.

Sleeping in an owned bed gives you a small XP boost for the next day. I think 15% boost for sleeping in your own house and 10% for using an inn or something like that. But it's not necessary to sleep (or eat or drink), although there are mods for that if you prefer a more realistic play style.

Reactions: Zoid and Zloth
Welcome to Tamriel! I've added this thread to my watchlist, vicariously experiencing Skyrim for the first time all over again seems like the perfect cure for the quarantine blues.

Keep us updated on your travels and we'll give you just enough advice to get you in the right amount of trouble.

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
Well I actually switched to Xbox One so started over again. I started differently except made my character the same and am actually making more progress. I opted to not do the dragonborn quest yet, due to the fact that I couldn't kill dragons at level 11 and was not making my way around some parts of the map easily with them around. I have joined the Companions and have been doing some of those quests. I recently finished "Proving Honor" in Dustmans Cairn. I have traveled to Winterhold and discovered the college (of course they won't let me in, not enough magika to conjure.) I also have one quest on hold called The Blessings of Nature to get the tree sap, but it seems difficult so I am leveling up first. I am at level 5, almost to 6. I can only play an hour each day during the week, unfortunately.

TRENDING THREADS