Question I'm looking for game suggestion to play with my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2022
Visit site
My son lives with his mom in the summer. I would like to find a game that we can play together online when we are apart. He is 12, he likes mine craft, but, I just can't get into it. In college I used to play Age of Empire, and Command and Conquer. Are there any games like that, that we can play together? I'm not much good at FPS games. Just want to stay connected. I'm not really a gamer anymore, so I'd like it to be a PC game, so I don't have to buy a system. Much appreciated.

Theres a Command & Conquer remastered edition where it might look more visually appealing to a young kid today. Still plenty of Age of Empires games out there but all in all i think you should play minecraft with him.

I say this because i too am not all into minecraft but my son loves it as well and i just kind of started playing with him and he seemed to be happy with it. And im not sure what kind of computer you are using, but minecraft specs are really low and can run on a lot of PC's where as some of these C&C, AoE might not.

minecraft specs are really low and can run on a lot of PC's where as some of these C&C, AoE might not
According to this page, Minecraft specs are a bit higher than C&C Remaster or AoE IID.

But yeah, for some reason I didn't include C&CR in my post. It's great.

Minecraft is mainly building, isn't it. So might a building game appeal, whether it's an empire, city, factory or house?

Reactions: Pifanjr
Jan 14, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

Does son have a PC?
Age of Empires IV came out a few months ago for PC. Check the system requirements down that page to see if you both have good enough PCs.

I'm not a multiplayer guy, so I don't know if you could set up a private game online.

If you don't have the beef for 4, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition will work on low spec and is very highly regarded.

Thanks for the help. Yes my son and I both have pretty good laptops. Do you know if AOE has a cooperative version? Something we can team up to play?

If your kid plays a lot of first person shooters, I'd prescribe them a copy of the GZDOOM source port and wherever IWADs of Doom, Doom 2, Heretic and Hexen are legally sold.

The upcoming Brutal Fate is also worth keeping an eye on, since Sgt_Mark_IV's previous work has been what i'd describe as probably the best mix of old school and modern FPS.

Thanks for the help. Yes my son and I both have pretty good laptops. Do you know if AOE has a cooperative version? Something we can team up to play?

I'm pretty sure any RTS game like Age of Empires allows you to play on the same team against computer controlled opponents (or human ones). So you can also look around for other RTS games if your son prefers a different setting, like a different time period or a specific setting such as Lord of the Rings or Star Wars.

Reactions: Lutfij
Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
It Takes Two?
I realise it's not an RTS etc.. but it's a coop game with a ton of awards.

My son lives with his mom in the summer. I would like to find a game that we can play together online when we are apart. He is 12, he likes mine craft, but, I just can't get into it. In college I used to play Age of Empire, and Command and Conquer. Are there any games like that, that we can play together? I'm not much good at FPS games. Just want to stay connected. I'm not really a gamer anymore, so I'd like it to be a PC game, so I don't have to buy a system. Much appreciated.

The great games I've played with my kid over the last year or so are:

Total War Warhammer 2 or any of the Civilization games (The most popular strategy games out there right now)
Satisfactory (build a factory together as you explore an alien world)
Conan Exiles (survival, crafting, pets, bosses...lots of building like Minecraft)
Craftopia (craft, build, go through dungeons, get pets, etc)
It Takes Two (really fun platforming game. I don't normally like platformers)
Portal 2 (probably the funniest game of all time and wonderful puzzles)

All of these have online co-op. Conan Exiles is the only one potentially too mature, but you can turn off nudity in the settings. Conan Exiles and Craftopia are survival games like Minecraft, but with tons more things to do. I get bored in Minecraft, but not in these.

My son's favorite out of all of those is Total War Warhammer 2. It should go on sale next month because a sequel is coming out.

Portal 2 is always in contention for being voted the best game of all time.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Mechwarrior 5 could work well. You've got big robots, running around (sometimes jumping) and shooting things. You've also got a little bit of a building aspect: namely figuring out what weapons and armor to put on those robots. What story there is is quite forgettable, so no worries about just skipping through that part. Missions are fairly short, typically 10-15 minutes, so you don't get stuck in some long battle that you have to save off then pick up again later.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS