How many people still love old school games especially from late 90s and early 2000s

Hi, people!
I'm writing this message with great interest because I’ve been feeling nostalgic lately about the games I grew up playing. I’m curious—how many of you still love and play those classic titles from the late '90s and early 2000s? For me, these games hold a special place in my heart, not just because of the gameplay but also because of the memories they created.
Titles like Half-Life, Diablo II, StarCraft, Baldur’s Gate, and Counter-Strike were iconic back then. The graphics may not compare to today’s standards, but there’s something about the charm of those pixelated worlds and immersive storylines that keeps me coming back. It’s not just about the nostalgia—they were genuinely fun and innovative for their time.
What about you? Do you still revisit those classic games? Which ones are your favorites, and why? Are there any new games that capture the same spirit for you, or do you find the magic is only in those old titles?
Let’s reminisce together! Would love to hear your thoughts and maybe some recommendations on games I might have missed back in the day.

Reactions: Frindis
Of your list, I played Diablo 2 until I got sick of the jungle music, then spent 7 years or so trying to find a game the same as it.
I played the remastered version of it a couple of years ago.

I had an Nintendo 64 until 1999 and I don't feel need to replay those games now. I don't have the hardware anyway.

Of your list, I played Diablo 2 until I got sick of the jungle music, then spent 7 years or so trying to find a game the same as it.
I played the remastered version of it a couple of years ago.

I had an Nintendo 64 until 1999 and I don't feel need to replay those games now. I don't have the hardware anyway.
I totally get what you mean about Diablo 2! The jungle music can definitely get repetitive after a while. It's amazing how a game can stick with you for years, though, especially when you’re trying to find something that captures that same magic. The remastered version did a great job of bringing back that nostalgia, didn’t it?

As for the Nintendo 64, I can understand why you wouldn't feel the need to replay those games. The nostalgia factor is strong, but sometimes it’s just nice to move on to new experiences. Plus, without the hardware, it makes it even trickier. Are there any newer games you’ve come across that have that Diablo 2 vibe or something similar? It’s always interesting to see how games evolve while still trying to capture that classic feel!

remastered including the old graphics engine in it so you can swap and truly see the difference was nice. Memory can make games from the past seem way better than they actually are. I know better than to look at old games I used to like as they just don't stand up anymore.

Grim Dawn is the same kind of game as Diablo.

As is this but its not released yet

Zloth

Community Contributor
What about you? Do you still revisit those classic games? Which ones are your favorites, and why? Are there any new games that capture the same spirit for you, or do you find the magic is only in those old titles?
Let’s reminisce together!

I've tried revisiting, but it never lasts for very long. Final Fantasy 7 is one of my all time favorites. The story is easily one of the best in all gamedom (Witcher 3 beats it out, but only because that has oodles of side quests that also have great stories). The graphics, though... FF7 came out right when the first Playstation showed up. So lego-people all around and bleep-boop music, too. They did incredible things with what they had, but the remake is far, far better.

Same with so many other games. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (especially 2) were hugely fun back in the day. The isometric graphics haven't aged too badly, and I've largely forgotten the story, but we've come such a long way in game design that I find the newer games to way more fun.

I did get through Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. That's not all that terribly old (it came out on Steam), though, and it's also fairly short.

Would love to hear your thoughts and maybe some recommendations on games I might have missed back in the day.
For fun or to see the innovation? Some that jump to mind (many of which people hear about from me far too often around here):
  • Descent: full six degrees of freedom in 3D mazes! The CD had the first track be the game install program and the rest were the game's soundtrack... or was that just Descent 2? Fully for innovation, though - if you want fun, play Overload instead. Hevean help you if you play it in VR!
  • Sacrifice: essentially a third person RTS game. Grab manna fountains to increase your magic power. Steal the souls of your defeated enemies to gain the ability to summon your own creatures. The voxel graphics give it a very different look. Play for fun and innovation, though mostly innovation. (Also has some of the biggest spells ever put in players' hands.)
  • BattleZone: (supposedly) inspired by the arcade classic, it's another first/third person real time strategy game. This one is a little more traditional, though, as you do build bases. Flying fast hover-tanks around on various planets never got old! What did get old was the old-school practice of expecting you to restart missions multiple times to try different strategies until you found a good one. Internet walk-through guides can help a ton with that. (The same company also did a remaster of BattleZone 2.)

I still occasionally play older games, though mostly games that were released a long time ago but are still getting updates. For example, I still come back to Minecraft, Angband and Dwarf Fortress every once in a while, but they're all very different games from when they were first released.

I have introduced my kid to some games from my own childhood and I occasionally play them with her. Games like Spore, Mario Kart: Double Dash or Pokémon FireRed.

As for a game recommendation: have you ever played Lionhead's Black & White? It's probably one of the most unique games I've played and the one game I'd buy a (spiritual) sequel or remake of in a heartbeat if I thought it could live up to the original. However, it's also a game that has some very dated game mechanics that make it hard to get back into.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
Hey! I totally get that nostalgia. I still jump back into classics like Baldur's Gate and Diablo II whenever I want a trip down memory lane. Those games just hit differently—they were packed with creativity and had so much heart. I remember spending countless hours with friends on Counter-Strike; it was such a big part of my teenage years. Lately, I've also been playing some indie games like Hollow Knight and Celeste, which remind me of those simpler times but with a fresh twist. If you haven’t tried those yet, they might scratch that nostalgic itch!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts