Question Help with Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2021
Visit site
Hello I just bought a new 144hz monitor however it is being capped at 60 hz. My PC is quite old with a i5 4460 and 960. Do I need to upgrade my GPU to allow me to use 144hz?

[Mod edit: OP, please message a moderator if you need this thread reopened.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

First off what cable are you using, and what is the resolution of your monitor?

Using the right cable your system should be capable of outputting 144hz. Bear in mind though its unlikely you will get anywhere near that at HD resolution or above in a modern even slightly demanding game. Your CPU and GPU are quite old at this point.

Sep 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi!

First off what cable are you using, and what is the resolution of your monitor?

Using the right cable your system should be capable of outputting 144hz. Bear in mind though its unlikely you will get anywhere near that at HD resolution or above in a modern even slightly demanding game. Your CPU and GPU are quite old at this point.

Thanks for shariing that article. Currently using 1920x1080 with a VGA. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 1050 TI.

Sorry, I forgot about this thread!

Its because as the article says your VGA cable is only capable of carrying 60hz (FPS) maximum. You should try a dual link dvi or display port cable.

1050Ti would be a bit of an upgrade over a GTX 960, especially if you have a 2GB model, but dont expect miracles out of it. You'll be able to hit higher frame rates in Esports type games like League of legends but in newer AAA games you wont get nearly as high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS