Question HELP!! What or how to upgrade my build? Gpu? Or what next step should be???

Hi and welcome to the forum

A graphics card is the obvious thing that will make most difference. A bit more informaton is needed before we can recommend something though.

- What case is the machine built inside?
- What is the brand, model and wattage of the power supply?
- What is the make and model of the monitor/tv/screen you are using?
- Are there any particular games that your son plays that he wants the extra performance for?
- What is your maximum budget for the upgrades?
- What size is the SSD you are currently using?

Lets see what we are working with and take it from there :)

Reactions: arlando
Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum

A graphics card is the obvious thing that will make most difference. A bit more informaton is needed before we can recommend something though.

- What case is the machine built inside?
- What is the brand, model and wattage of the power supply?
- What is the make and model of the monitor/tv/screen you are using?
- Are there any particular games that your son plays that he wants the extra performance for?
- What is your maximum budget for the upgrades?
- What size is the SSD you are currently using?

Lets see what we are working with and take it from there :)

Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your help.
Thermaltake Versa J24 RGB Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black
EVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus ATX Non-Modular Power Supply
Vizio smart TV. Not sure the model but its 60hz
He plays Fortnite, Warzone and Apex.
Budget for this upgrade is around 200.
The ssd is 256 gb.

OK :) One last question, that may seem strange. Is it hot where you live?

The reason I ask is that your power supply is rated to output its stated wattage at maximum 40 degrees centigrade. One of the graphics cards I might recommend would run it a bit close for my liking if it was hot in the summer where the rig is.

As long as its not over 30 degrees in the house you'll be o.k.

So I found an AMD RX 580 for $240 with a $30 mail in rebate here at Newegg.

This is your best option IMO.

On the Nvidia side there is the GTX 1650 Super, I can't however find one in stock for under 200, it performs around the same overall as the RX 580 except it has 4GB of VRAM. This may be a disadvantage in the future, but at the moment we arent seeing much difference.

I guess the point is moot because the cheapest one I can see is $230 and even that seems to be out of stock.

If you have a very strict $200 budget then you'd be looking at the GTX 1650 (the super is a different card).

I'm looking at stock levels and it seems many cards are sold out at the moment. If you can wait until the new year there may be newer models released in the first quarter that would give better value for money or at least more options. I understand its getting towards christmas and that might be the reason for the purchase. In that case the RX580 I linked is he best bet, failing that a GTX 1650 is the best you can do for under $200. Hope thats helped.

TRENDING THREADS