Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
All!
Please help this is urgent I am looking to keep my existing RAM memory (2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance) and adding an additional 2 RAM sticks (G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F3-16000C9D-16GXM - Blue).
Please let me know if this is acceptable or won't cause any damages, I am really looking at using all my RAM slots (4 total).

I have attached the specs/links for people to review and let me know it would be greatly appreciated
G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F3-16000C9D-16GXM - Blue
https://www.microcenter.com/product...l-desktop-memory-kit-f3-16000c9d-16gxm---blue
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit 1.5V
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS827US827&sxsrf=ALeKk03zllbrxAvCe5WYH3e4ceIwtzyJyw:1592570660959&ei=JLPsXqiXOriKytMP0b-LiAM&q=corsair+vengeance+8gb+(2x4gb)+ddr3-1600+memory&oq=corsair+vengeance+8gb+ddr3+2x4&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgAMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46BwgAELADEEM6AggAULyYhwNYlZ-HA2Dcr4cDaARwAHgAgAFgiAGiA5IBATWYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

Why do you need 24gb RAM on that platform?

There's just no way of guaranteeing the RAM will play nice with your existing RAM. The only guarantee is to have all of your RAM from a matched kit. It may work - the new RAM has the same frequency and CL (not sure about the other timings), but then it might not work, at least not without loosening the timings or lowering the frequencies.

Nobody can give you a 100% guarantee as you are mixing RAM kits. Even if you bought more Corsair Vengeance from the same family as your existing one there is no guarantee it will play nice.

I'm wondering 2 things:
1) Do you actually need more than 16gb RAM?
2) Whether or not you do, is it worth sinking $80 into a platform as old as yours at this stage?

Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
Why do you need 24gb RAM on that platform?

There's just no way of guaranteeing the RAM will play nice with your existing RAM. The only guarantee is to have all of your RAM from a matched kit. It may work - the new RAM has the same frequency and CL (not sure about the other timings), but then it might not work, at least not without loosening the timings or lowering the frequencies.

Nobody can give you a 100% guarantee as you are mixing RAM kits. Even if you bought more Corsair Vengeance from the same family as your existing one there is no guarantee it will play nice.

I'm wondering 2 things:
1) Do you actually need more than 16gb RAM?
2) Whether or not you do, is it worth sinking $80 into a platform as old as yours at this stage?

I'm just looking to upgrade my RAM and thought I was able to run all four at the same time.

You might be able to, it depends if your existing RAM and new RAM play nice together / can have settings adjusted until they do. There are just no guarantees.

Moreover, you would get no benefit from 24gb RAM over 16gb if your uses don't require that.

And it's also very debatable whether you'd get a performance boost worth the cost at all.

TRENDING THREADS