Question HELP! Connecting surround sound to PC

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,

Basically I have an old Bush surround sound (CHT120DVD) that I don’t use and want to connect it to my boys PC if possible but can’t work out which cable I need to make it compatible.

It has 4 speakers, a sub and a DVD player which acts as the amp I presume, but I’m not sure how to connect that to the PC or if I don’t need the DVD player at all and can connect the sub straight to the PC. A friend has suggested trying a pci to scart lead but I wanted to check here first.

I’ve attached a few pics below to show what ports I have available, which hopefully will help getting me an answer.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mkbb94ihae7w8m/Photo 16-09-2020, 07 07 33.jpg?dl=0

The sub looks like it has an RCA in.

If you just want it for the speaker output, you would probably need one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=17T9XQGD90VU5&dchild=1&keywords=rca+to+3.5mm&qid=1600291537&sprefix=rca+to,aps,175&sr=8-3

So the 3.5mm connection end (like a headphone) would go in the green socket on the computer and the end with two connections would plug into the aux input on the subwoofer.

You would connect the speakers to the sub. I don't know if it would give a surround signal though, but it should work for sound.

Edit: There is a shorter version of the cable for a quid less.

Also, I'm not used to helping on here, so there maybe someone with more knowledge but I think what I said should work.

Zoid

Community Contributor
@Alm is right, a simple 3.5mm to RCA splitter should work. You would run that from your headphone jack on your computer to your sub's aux input, and then your sub would amplify the signal out to your speakers. Now that would only get you either mono or stereo sound, but it should work.

In order to get surround sound you'd probably have to split audio out of the HDMI signal from your GPU, and pass it through the DVD player (which I'm guessing is where the DSP is), but depending on how that DVD player processes it idk if it will be real 5.1 or "fake" surround.

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
@Alm is right, a simple 3.5mm to RCA splitter should work. You would run that from your headphone jack on your computer to your sub's aux input, and then your sub would amplify the signal out to your speakers. Now that would only get you either mono or stereo sound, but it should work.

In order to get surround sound you'd probably have to split audio out of the HDMI signal from your GPU, and pass it through the DVD player (which I'm guessing is where the DSP is), but depending on how that DVD player processes it idk if it will be real 5.1 or "fake" surround.

My £2.49 wickes cable works perfectly for standard Left and right speakers with a sub, he is a happy boy thanks guys... the surround sound seems like a lot of hassle for someone as non-techy as myself so I’ll leave it at that!

thanks again guys

TRENDING THREADS