Have you ever discovered that you've "been doing it wrong the whole time"?

I just figured out that I've wasted every bit of scrap I've ever used in Car Mechanic Simulator 21, and it's not that easy to come by the desired amount. Turns out, you only want to use it to upgrade tuner parts because it makes no performance difference on anything else.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Reminded me of my time when playing Grid, when it first got released, didn't take racing lines, didn't feather the throttle and didn't care about damage, lol, they are all wrong choices. I revisited the game after a year when I had free time and then thought..."okay, I did it all wrong".

Then was the upgrades in NFS Underground. The inability to migrate a unique part to another car in career mode was mentioned in NFS Underground 2, only.

Last edited:
Swat 3. Screw compliance, i was playing the game like rainbow 6. obviously my respect and my results weren't impressing the law enforcement, but screw em. i was going after terrorists and they were going to shoot to kill. They weren't going to comply if i told them to. Half the time i was playing that game it reminded me of an action movie where they send in the SWAT teams that get massacred before a lone action hero takes on the terrorists and wins. Screw that. I was going to be judge dread.

Swat 3. Screw compliance, i was playing the game like rainbow 6. obviously my respect and my results weren't impressing the law enforcement, but screw em. i was going after terrorists and they were going to shoot to kill. They weren't going to comply if i told them to. Half the time i was playing that game it reminded me of an action movie where they send in the SWAT teams that get massacred before a lone action hero takes on the terrorists and wins. Screw that. I was going to be judge dread.

That sounds like that old show 24 with Kiefer Sutherland if you ever watched it. He never let the rules get in the way.

Reminded me of my time when playing Grid, when it first got released, didn't take racing lines, didn't feather the throttle and didn't care about damage, lol, they are all wrong choices. I revisited the game after a year when I had free time and then thought..."okay, I did it all wrong".

Then was the upgrades in NFS Underground. The inability to migrate a unique part to another car in career mode was mentioned in NFS Underground 2, only.

Now that you mention it, I remember that about Underground. Such a shame that EA removed those games with no notice. I didn't even know they were still for sale until the PCG article that they were gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pifanjr
I got a good way into Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 before I figured out how to snipe properly. It was my first sniper game, so I wasn't familiar with the mechanics.

I got about halfway until I met a mission I couldn't beat—it required a lot of 300m-500m shots to be made first time, and when zoomed in my scope just kept bouncing around all the time. It took a lot of messing around to discover I didn't have to find environmental aids—eg fallen trees, flat rocks—to give me a steady shot.

Even after I discovered deploying the bipod, it took me another while to discover that the bipod became undeployed every time I did something else, eg switch to binocs and switch back again.

No doubt my own fault for rushing thru the tutorial.

Yeah, that reminds me, there are those who are just harvesters. There was one mission in Age of Mythology where you did have to deploy a lot of villagers and I mean A LOT! If you didn't, you couldn't defeat Kronos...that was a long time ago but I recall replying that mission 6 times, then giving up and then a friend of mine showed me what to do.

I had a derp moment, then.

I realized something. When I started playing RTS games as a kid, I would do it all very leisurely. My first RTS was Age of Empires, which isn't very fast paced, especially not on the lowest difficulty settings. Especially not if you also use cheats.

And that mind set has stuck with me. If I'm playing a RTS, I lazily switch between microing a few units and building some new buildings. I've learned how to play RTS games properly, but I don't like to play that intensely. I prefer to take my time. This is also why I gravitate to turtling strategies.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Back in the day, I listened to a PCG podcast that featured the creators of Diluvion. The game didn’t get great reviews, but I decided to support the developer and give it a shot.

i actually did enjoy the game, but the difficulty definitely ramped up late in the story. Turns out I was supposed to be upgrading and installing new weapons throughout the game and I beat the entire thing with the starting weapon only. Guess I missed that tooltip when it popped up.

I've learned how to play RTS games properly, but I don't like to play that intensely. I prefer to take my time. This is also why I gravitate to turtling strategies
Same here. Initial defense, build air power to command the map, then break out. I spent a summer ~15 years ago beating C&C Generals Zero Hour's wonderful Generals Challenge mode on Brutal difficulty, and decided it was way too much like work. That's my last 'hardest' game play, apart from getting comfy at Emperor level in Civ4—which still has 2 more difficulty levels above it!

I was supposed to be upgrading and installing new weapons throughout the game
Same hit me early in Far Cry New Dawn. Doing my usual toodling around the countryside looking for trouble, and I found it. What turned out to be a Level 3 cougar casually munched thru my full clip of Level 1 AK 47 like it was confetti.

TRENDING THREADS