Have we stopped caring about really owning our games?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
i briefly spoke about this on another thread about buying a game on a physical disc.

Excuse for not getting refunds is because you buy it and become the licence holder ...

The cynical person in me asks does that mean 200 clever people worked for 2 years on a game and gave it me for free and i just paid for permission to use it.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
i buy all my games on GOG first

Same here up to a couple of years ago. Recently I have to compare the mod support on Steam Workshop v Nexus / ModDB etc. If a game is good, I'll be replaying it for many years—if not good, doesn't matter whether I own it or not.

i download the install files from GoG and put on my NAS

I should do that—started ~5 years ago, never continued.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Alm
I think discs are pretty irrelevant these days, pc games don't even have physical discs anymore. For both PC and consoles there is normally always a huge day one patch when a game releases.

For games that can be played offline the best you can try and do is install it and then copy the installation to a backup/NAS drive.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I think discs are pretty irrelevant these days, pc games don't even have physical discs anymore.

The entire thread is pretty much irrelevant, and why I pointed out that the only thing you ever COULD own was the disc the game came on. You were only given the right to play, not own, the game itself. So discs in this context were ALWAYS irrelevant.

I also feel the more relevant discussion these days is the condition games release in. Have we become so overwhelmed by it that we think there's nothing we can do about it?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts