Have game bugs ever helped you instead of making things harder

heres a few of mine

Far Cry 1 ..... if you swam away from the island for a long time you would reappear on the opposite side so you could do surprise attacks.

Dragon Age ... jump behind a shed and just keep fighting but enemy could not reach you.

HZD their is a worm type creature that is VERY hard to avoid and kill , just hide behind a pile of wood and wait for it to keep coming to the surface then shot at it , it cant get to you.

Warframe ... had a brilliant bug forgot exactly how this worked but you could stand in certain places and just farm thing that kept dropping on screen , you formed a team and all agreed on how long to do it , just read a magazine whilst it was running lol , the exploit eventually got fixed because the devs saw players talking about it in main chat

Funny you mentioned that because I just exploited one of those bugs in Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. One of the bad guys in the early start of the game chases you around and I found a small safe space behind a stone pillar. It is safe as long as you keep him on the other side and since he can't get through it, I can throw knife jabs at him until he "dies". It is one of the more cheesy bugs that I'll never want to use anywhere else because it would just completely destroy the immersion. It is fun to try out though.
Tnh16n2.jpg

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Many enemies have flat-out gotten stuck before. Maybe they clip into the geometry a little and can't get out, or maybe their AI-brain gets in a state where it can't do anything.

HZD their is a worm type creature that is VERY hard to avoid and kill , just hide behind a pile of wood and wait for it to keep coming to the surface then shot at it , it cant get to you.
Those come from below! So, when you say behind, that means stand on it??

Funny you mentioned that because I just exploited one of those bugs in Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. One of the bad guys in the early start of the game chases you around and I found a small safe space behind a stone pillar. It is safe as long as you keep him on the other side and since he can't get through it, I can throw knife jabs at him until he "dies". It is one of the more cheesy bugs that I'll never want to use anywhere else because it would just completely destroy the immersion. It is fun to try out though.
That is simply using environment to your advantage. There is a boss in the desert area of Grim Dawn that uses chaos and has a nasty life drain on his attack unless you hide behind a table right in front of him. He can't hit you but you can hit him. Fights just became me using table as an obstacle between me and boss.

MIllions of years ago - ok, only about 15 - I used to play wow and in the fight against Onxyia we used to jump up on the walls around the arena to avoid its fire breath. That was a glitch the entire raid used. By time we finished with that Dragon I had every drop my rogue could use off her.

Last edited:
Hi Zloth .... i stand behind the wood pile out of sight and wait for it to come to the surface.

I just remembered something else .... in part of legend of grimrock their is a pyramid type building and the enemy are hard to kill , if you get them to chase you inside you can drop into a tiny gap in between 2 fire pits you can attack them but they cant get you.

That is simply using environment to your advantage. There is a boss in the desert area of Grim Dawn that uses chaos and has a nasty life drain on his attack unless you hide behind a table right in front of him. He can't hit you but you can hit him. Fights just became me using table as an obstacle between me and boss.

MIllions of years ago - ok, only about 15 - I used to play wow and in the fight against Onxyia we used to jump up on the walls around the arena to avoid its fire breath. That was a glitch the entire raid used. By time we finished with that Dragon I had every drop my rogue could use off her.
It is and isn't. You are using the environments, but it was never supposed to be implemented that way because of this being bug in the coding where the boss can't move past the object but around it. In classic WoW Dire Maul for example you could do similar for dealing with kiting mobs. You would stand on a ledge, mobs/bosses would have to turn the other way, and then rinse and repeat until it is down. It is a clever way to use the environment, but the only reason it is in there is that it is not really a big deal and is mainly focused on a small group or a solo player like frost mage. When you talk about raiding, that is when stuff like this becomes a problem because people for example would fight for the world first and then you could not have people exploiting these types of glitches for speedrunning through instances.

Last edited:
or when they hacked the code to remove the floor in one raid so they could fight C'thun without clearing rest of instance.
Blizzard didn't appreciate that.

Does being able to get into the World Tree before it was finished in Classic wow count as a bug or just exploration? I wish I had screenshots but they would be in stamp sized photos (Okay, 1080p)

Reactions: Pifanjr and Frindis
Does being able to get into the World Tree before it was finished in Classic wow count as a bug or just exploration? I wish I had screenshots but they would be in stamp sized photos (Okay, 1080p)
I'd say a glitch in the matrix. Getting under Stormwind or visiting assets that are hidden under the world (like the crypts under Karazhan) was from my recollection never frowned upon, but I don't think Blizzard liked it when you visited GM Island. The worst thing happening would be getting booted back to Westfall (if you were alliance) graveyard.

The God of exploration back in vanilla. Used to watch his videos over at Warcraftmovies.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWMz7-7SGlo

That is simply using environment to your advantage.
It is and isn't. You are using the environments, but it was never supposed to be implemented that way because of this being bug in the coding where the boss can't move past the object but around it.
Could go either way, depending upon your internal definition of "bug". Environmental "glitches", where a boss gets stuck on the environment, could be considered to be a bug, as it's an unintended consequence of how gameplay reacts with the constructed world.

If it's in the game and it makes my life easier, hell yes I'll take advantage of it. Some players may consider it to be "cheesing" a battle to take advantage of those glitches, but in a boss battle, I'll take every advantage I can, unintended or not. I made a post over a year ago about "Do you ever cheese it?" which touched on this subject.

Two instances that always come to mind when I think of those situations:

The Adra Dragon battle in Pillars of Eternity 1, an over-powered dragon with multiple types of attacks, who also summons masses of high level enemies to join him. Almost undefeatable (for me). But there's a long, narrow stairway (to the left, not visible in screenshot) where you can initiate the battle and blast him with AOEs and ranged attacks, and all his summoned minions can only attack you one by one as they try to climb that narrow stairway, with your melee fighters cutting them down. And from that position, none of the dragon's attack types could reach you.
h3w3g4G.jpg

The Mephisto battle in Diablo 2 Resurrected at the bottom level of the Durance of Hate, also known as the "moat trick". Using an environmental design glitch that allows you to attack, but seldom get hit. I'll take it.
View: https://youtu.be/k4GiHEqWYiI

Zloth

Community Contributor
I just remembered something else .... in part of legend of grimrock their is a pyramid type building and the enemy are hard to kill , if you get them to chase you inside you can drop into a tiny gap in between 2 fire pits you can attack them but they cant get you.
Oh yeah! Gothic 2 had that kind of thing. There was a big fortress surrounded by big orcs that were trying to break in. If you tried to attack them outside, they would mob you and kill you quickly. However, you get on a tiny ramp leading down from the castle walls. From there, orcs would just run at you but couldn't attack, so you could attack them (even with melee weapons) safely. I killed every attacking orc, even though I was low level!

In Wolfenstein 3D, you could edge up to a door until you could see just the arm of an enemy then you could shoot the arm until he died. Enemies only reacted to seeing you, not to being shot, so they would just stand there while you killed them.

I've also had plenty of bosses get stuck including the final boss of The Forest.

Those are the two main things that come to mind.

In Wolfenstein 3D, you could edge up to a door until you could see just the arm of an enemy then you could shoot the arm until he died. Enemies only reacted to seeing you, not to being shot, so they would just stand there while you killed them.
there are countless games where you can shoot enemies from outside of their view distance and they die without ever reacting. Its sadly a bug that has never gone away.

I have the opposite, a unexpected feature. If you play Sacred 2 in 4k it not only extends your view distance, it also expands the enemies. No more running off the edge of screen to get away...

Met a bit of a bug [I suppose] tonight in Far Cry 6 on the Stealing Thunder mission for Zenia Zayas, where after stealing the tank, she sends you off to blow up baddie's billboards all over the local town—8 in all to be done.

4C8WpAP.png

So I'm zipping around town—with 2 choppers and a tank chasing me—and I zap 3 of the billboards before I get toasted. Respawn elsewhere on foot, do a few bits around there, and then head back to town. No sign of my pinky tanky, so hmm :unsure:

There's a billboard near me, so I shoot it just cos—and it ticks up on the mission counter! I have my bow with explosive arrows to make short work of the remaining 4. I'm guessing that it's a bug that you don't have to use the tank—but of course it's possible that it's a way out if the tank gets destroyed.

I've yet to use it, but may if I ever have a go at Resident Evil Village on Village of Shadows difficulty level. It's a trick where you lure Moreau (when you fight him in the drained swamp) into getting stuck on a corner post of one of the shacks where the corner of the shack is sort of an outside porch. These spots also serve as protection from his acid vomit that he rains down on you every now and then.

This trick can lower the kill time from 40 + minutes down to under 15 minutes on VoS, and that's even if you are petty well equipped weapon and ammo wise and get all the explosive barrels to do a good bit of damage to him and get in a lot of point blank shots at him when the beast opens it's mouth (which is where Moreau actually is).

There is however a cheese I DID use in RE Village on one of the Vorcolac bosses, which is the one that jumps you near the waterwheel when you first enter that area. You can take refuge in the nearby house on the first part, and pummel him in the face as he swats at you from the door. As soon as he retreats after taking a fair bit of damage, you can climb the ladder to the roof, shoot at him from the roof, and crouch near the roof edge on the opposite side of a structure on the roof from where you were when he last saw you before he jumps on the roof.

When you take that position he will try to pounce straight at you after getting on the roof, but because the distance between the structure and the roof edge is so narrow, he keeps smacking into it and does a face plant. I discovered however that this method is not 100% foolproof, as the first time I tried it he actually got smart and went further up the roof and around the structure. The time shown here it worked pretty well though and I managed to kill him in a little over 2:30 with just the pistol.

The Vorcolac boss fight starts at 2:08

Last edited:
Damn Frag, your sense of direction and map memory is something else! I recall you mentioned that recently, but seeing it in action is really impressive.

Thanks a ton Brian, but at the same, I'm not going to lie and instead say it's often because of having to try something more than once and getting the route in my head.

Truth be told I'm not really the type that seems to have a "GPS in my head". One of our ride leaders in the mt bike club I used to ride with can testify to that. He was also a snowboard instructor at one of the local mt pass resorts.

This guy would take us on rides that often had lots of brush here and there, a bit of downfall, and even what appeared to be dubious works of hikers or equestrians trying to keep us off the trails with clutter from clearing that was mysteriously stacked right in our way.

I'd often ask him, "How the heck do you always have your bearings in such a maze of trails?" He was usually pretty modest about it, but every once in a while he'd admit he was always pretty good at orienteering.

But me, if I led a ride that was in much worse conditions than expected, I would have a REAL hard time getting through it. The one time I can think of though was particularly bad, just after some forestry workers did some MAJOR clearing. There was one poor guy on my ride, and he was from opposite corners of the country, and no doubt regretted going on the ride. We had to walk through a lot of the clutter and it was very hard just to tell where the old trail was at times. I remember having to stop and yell back at him really loud to make sure he saw where I was at times.

I would never say risking getting lost on a ride is a bad thing though. One of the best rides I ever did was near a small town called Randle in South Washington on a very narrow singletrack trail that was clearly an old game trail. It's another ride I did with just one other person, a buddy I regularly rode with. It had spectacular views including meadows we'd go through with tons of wild flowers, and in particular one stopping point were we could see Mt Adams to the south, and Mt Rainier to the north. It was such a clear day and the base of the mountains was so close to the same color of the sky they looked like they were floating. The only thing either of us regretted on that ride was neither of us had a camera. We had to do a bit of walking at times to see where the trail picked up, but that was part of the fun.

The one major navigation tool I DO have when outdoors though is being able to read topographical maps well, which I always carried with me on my backpacking trips. I was on a particularly long ride once near Bend Oregon on a new trail a few guys had just built. They had marked turn points and gave us topo map copies. There was one point where we all stopped because suddenly there were possible turn points but no markers. Everyone insisted we'd gone too far and missed a turn, but I studied the map and said I think the turn is just up ahead. I offered to scout ahead and signal to them if I was right. Sure enough, that was where the turn was, and coincidentally just after that, one of the trail builders and main ride leaders came along after sweeping for any stragglers. He thanked me for steering the group the right way and applauded my map reading skills. The folks whom do outdoor sports in Oregon, which there are a TON of, are pretty skilled and really nice people.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS