Gifts for PC Gamers

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
What's the best way to buy a PC Gaming-related gift for the holidays? Assume that you want a physical object that can be wrapped and put under a tree.

Digital distribution means there are very few physical games to choose from. Hardware is specific and hard to buy without particular knowledge of the giftee's system and preferences. Do you go with games-related merch? Games-related gift card?

Let me know how you effectively gift shop for a PC Gamer!

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
If I know what the person wants and want to give them a physical gift I'd probably print a picture of the game tape it to an old jewel case and wrap that and then include a gift card for the price of the game or if its steam you can set it to send the game on a specific date so it comes after the present is unwrapped.

PCG Joanna

Hardware Staff Writer
Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I've always liked giving/receiving peripherals because you can usually find a good one that's not too expensive, the SteelSeries Arctis 3 being one of those quality ones under $100 if you don't get it with Bluetooth. But I totally hear what you are saying about making sure the gift matches the person's preference—so one easy idea could be if you know of a local barcade or game-themed cafe that does gift cards. That's a great gamer gift that can go under the tree or in a stocking.

CrazyCanuck

The Canuck
Dec 18, 2019
crazycanuckj.com
What's the best way to buy a PC Gaming-related gift for the holidays? Assume that you want a physical object that can be wrapped and put under a tree.

Digital distribution means there are very few physical games to choose from. Hardware is specific and hard to buy without particular knowledge of the giftee's system and preferences. Do you go with games-related merch? Games-related gift card?

Let me know how you effectively gift shop for a PC Gamer!
Game gift card, for sure. Steam, I believe Origin has one, maybe uPlay. If you're unsure of their preference, a good old Visa/Mastercard pre-paid card is always a decent option.

If you can get a list of things out of them, keyboard/mouse is also good if they need a new one. Headset can't go wrong either.

Reactions: Zloth
Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
I know I'm late, but if there's no price threshold, then Collector's Editions may be a good choice since you get the game plus other limited release items.

Dec 15, 2022
Visit site
Gifting for a PC Gamer can definitely be tricky, especially if you don't know much about their system or preferences. One excellent option is to go with a gift card, as this will allow the recipient to choose something that they know they'll enjoy and that fits their system. Alternatively, you could go with a gaming-related piece of hardware, such as a mouse, headset, or controller. If you know the type of games they like to play, you could check out some specialized gaming merchandise, like t-shirts or mugs, and order a custom basket gift at https://www.jetgiftbaskets.com/. Finally, you could always go with a classic board game that can be enjoyed on PC, such as Catan or Ticket to Ride. Whatever you choose, it's sure to be a hit!

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
(Wow, this is a SERIOUSLY old topic!)

Yeah, gifting is a tricky thing. Even if you know their "wish list" - those aren't always things a gamer is looking to get right now. I know I put a lot of things on my list that are there so that I remember to look at them again a few years later to see if they are worth getting yet.

Gift cards or simple cash works best but hiding the amount your gift is worth can be... non-trivial. Merchandise can work if you know what games your loved one likes most. I know my favorites don't really have any merchandise, so that could be rough, too.

Reactions: Brian Boru
(Wow, this is a SERIOUSLY old topic!)

And its a genuinely good question!

As for me i stick with PC-Game related gifts usually, i know what games are played by my family so this is the easiest choice.

Unless im doing something like replacing a whole PC setup (which actually did happen this year for the holidays), ill stick with merch first and a game or two if i know they are interested in it in the first place second.

TRENDING THREADS