Gaming Mouse with Loads of Buttons + Wheel?

Hello

I’m looking for a gaming mouse with loads of buttons (I’ve seen one with like 9 where the thumb is on the left side) and must have a scroll wheel.

I want it for gaming – but also – just to run macros/shortcuts for Music Production and just various programs in windows?

I've also seen some with multiple attachments which looks interesting... but I wonder if anyone ever bothers or remembers to use them?
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Naga-Trinity-Optical-Interchangeable/dp/B0788MCRGC

BTW I'm tall and thin - and have large hands with long thin fingers - if that matters?

Please note – I want wired only ok – and I’m right handed like most folk.

Currently using an old Windows Intellimouse with one button on each side and scroll wheel… so that’s my only frame of reference for actual personal experience.

I’ve never used a crazy mouse like this – I’ve heard some say it can be a pain accidentally triggering things all the time? What do you think – good idea or bad?

Prefer something not too crazy pricewise – good value is ideal – will pay some more if it’s worth it.

Some other questions to consider:

Weight: Light, Med, Heavy
Grip: Finger, Palm, Claw
RGB: Yes, Meh, No

good idea or bad?
I got such a mouse one time, but could never master locating the correct thumb button by feel. I gave it 3 months, which is loads of time for muscle memory, but never got it. It had 12 thumb buttons if I recall correctly.

The kind of mouse you're looking for is usually advertised as suitable for MMOs, like World of Warcraft.

multiple attachments
Could work if you had one config for over 90% of the time, and your other sessions were concentrated—eg 3 hours at unusual activity, then not again for a week. But if your usage is generally mixed like most people, I advise against it—changing parts will be about as much fun as changing lenses on a camera.

Alternative

You can get programmable keyboards, and there are also special KBs, usually called keypads or gamepads, which typically provide 20-30 keys for you to customize—might work on the left side of your normal keyboard. Examples:

have large hands with long thin fingers - if that matters
Take up the piano :D

Weight: Light, Med, Heavy
Grip: Finger, Palm, Claw

Hey dude,

Can you elaborate a bit on these too... reasoning, pros, cons? especially the grip one?
And do I really need a mouse pad for gaming and general use... and if so - what kind of surface is good value?

I've seen those giant mouse pads which you put the keyboard and mouse on... what are those called - and is there any reason to get one or just overkill for looks?

I got such a mouse one time, but could never master locating the correct thumb button by feel. I gave it 3 months, which is loads of time for muscle memory, but never got it. It had 12 thumb buttons if I recall correctly.

Have you come across many people who have gotten used to them or is it really difficult - either hate it or love it?

Do you think you might get used to it more easily if it were 3-6 buttons instead?

changing parts will be about as much fun as changing lenses on a camera.

Yeah - I see your point there

You can get programmable keyboards, and there are also special KBs, usually called keypads or gamepads, which typically provide 20-30 keys for you to customize—might work on the left side of your normal keyboard.

Yeah that is something else I've seen - I feel like it might be kinda hard to get my left hand going fast for macros in games and stuff - maybe easier in other software? You ever tried these?

Take up the piano :D

Way ahead of you - the main reason for my new pc is for music production :)

cheers

Reactions: Brian Boru
Can you elaborate a bit on these too... reasoning, pros, cons? especially the grip one?
And do I really need a mouse pad for gaming and general use... and if so - what kind of surface is good value?

grips is more about how you hold it - https://emeraldforhome.com/types-of-mouse-grips/
There isn't a best grip. its just what makes you comfortable the most.

Mouse pads mostly help with tracking, and they come in varying sizes and form factors. some are hard, some are floppy. I have a Steelseries Rival 600 mouse and a Steelseries mousepad, it works really well with it.

elaborate a bit on these
Weight—you need one that's comfy for you for hours per day. If you have strong hands/wrist, a light mouse would probably be too 'jumpy' for you, you'd want a heavier mouse to get smoother movement consistently. A small female or child will probably need a light mouse to avoid fatigue.

Grip—@Colif's article explains it well. Here's a good explanatory video from a guy who specializes in KBs and mice:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGbzV2qS48

Weight+Grip—you probably want a bigger heavier mouse for Palm grip, whereas a smaller lighter one should suit the others better.

Interesting, I didn't realize some people changed the grip depending on what they're doing—I've been a Finger grip forever, but with a heavier mouse as I have big strong hands.

You should get from all this that it's a very individual choice, find what works for you. So it is essential to try different mice physically in stores so you know which size and weight suits you.

Another essential: Don't skimp on a wrist rest. I speak as someone who had to change mousing hand years ago due to RSI. I recommend Roccat rest

From another guy who does a lot of KB & Mouse stuff—How I'd choose a mechanical keyboard in 2021:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH4CCz0E5jI

giant mouse pads
They're called mouse pads, the smaller cousins are mouse mats. GF has a pad, loves it—I'll get same if current mat ever gives out. There are some times playing when I run out of mat :D

Do you think you might get used to it more easily if it were 3-6 buttons
Oh sure, my MX Master has 4 on the side, piece of cake. I expect 6 would be easy, above that I dunno. Don't know of other people's experience.

You ever tried these?
I've had a Roccat programmable full-size+ KB for 4-5 years now, love it. Has 5 profiles, so you could set it up for 4 different games plus a default Windows & work one. Has 5 extra function keys on left, and 25 of the normal left-side keys are programmable for use with the Caps Lock key as their trigger.

I use all that for work only, tried it in gaming but it's just not that important to me to be worth the effort. Windows, Office etc stay constant, whereas games would be changing too often.
I got a game pad 15-20 years ago, but never used it.

Dunno if you're aware of other options out there like foot mouse, vertical KBs etc :)

Hello

I’m looking for a gaming mouse with loads of buttons (I’ve seen one with like 9 where the thumb is on the left side) and must have a scroll wheel.

I want it for gaming – but also – just to run macros/shortcuts for Music Production and just various programs in windows?

I've also seen some with multiple attachments which looks interesting... but I wonder if anyone ever bothers or remembers to use them?
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Naga-Trinity-Optical-Interchangeable/dp/B0788MCRGC

BTW I'm tall and thin - and have large hands with long thin fingers - if that matters?

Please note – I want wired only ok – and I’m right handed like most folk.

Currently using an old Windows Intellimouse with one button on each side and scroll wheel… so that’s my only frame of reference for actual personal experience.

I’ve never used a crazy mouse like this – I’ve heard some say it can be a pain accidentally triggering things all the time? What do you think – good idea or bad?

Prefer something not too crazy pricewise – good value is ideal – will pay some more if it’s worth it.

How many extra buttons do you want? If you only really need a few, I recommend getting an ambidextrous mouse. I have the SteelSeries Sensei 310 (It's only $37 and I love it), and it's got the "forward" and "backward" buttons on both sides. They are easy to hit when you want to, yet hard to accidentally press. It comes with free software for creating macros or assigning different things to the buttons. If you need more than 4 extra buttons, you are probably looking at one of those MMO deals. Can't help you there. I'd never get used to those, I don't think.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
How many extra buttons do you want? If you only really need a few, I recommend getting an ambidextrous mouse. I have the SteelSeries Sensei 310 (It's only $37 and I love it), and it's got the "forward" and "backward" buttons on both sides. They are easy to hit when you want to, yet hard to accidentally press. I could easily get 12-14 clicks per second on cps test It comes with free software for creating macros or assigning different things to the buttons. If you need more than 4 extra buttons, you are probably looking at one of those MMO deals. Can't help you there. I'd never get used to those, I don't think.
I got SteelSeries Sensei a couple of years back and never regretted it. I am mostly into PvP games and I just cant perform any better with any other mouse.

lokamahe

BANNED
Jan 10, 2022
Visit site
Hi there! I have never used such a mouse before and want to hear the opinion of more experienced gamers. Are they really convenient and worth purchasing or not? What can you tell me?

@Brian Boru
@ZedClampet
@irwinnick
@lokamahe

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for all of your info and help.

I have read up and learned a lot more since I posted this and have also made some more decisions about what I do and don't want to get.

So I have just made one giant mega thread to include this stuff and other gaming peripherals all in one thread to save time/complexity.

Feel free to have a look and add anything extra - but beware - it's super long!

Thanks again!

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
How numerous redundant buttons do you want? If you only really need a many, I recommend getting an ambidextrous mouse. I've the SteelSeries Sensei 310 (It's only$ 37 and I love it), and it's got the" forward"and" backward" buttons on both sides. They're easy to hit when you want to, yet hard to accidentally press. I could fluently get 12-14 clicks per second on cps test It comes with free software for creating macros or assigning different effects to thebuttons.However, you're presumably looking at one of those MMO deals, If you need further than 4 redundant buttons. Can not help you there. I'd noway get used to those, I do not suppose.

[Mod edit: non-English link removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS