Games that put a smile on your face?

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Oh, there are so many games actually!

Skyrim can still catch me. There can be so many random and hilarious encounters. I wanted to free a Nord from some Imperials, he went off and died after 30 meters, killed by a mud crab! Or dragon corpses in the middle of Riverwood which would just not disappear and every NPC acted like there wouldn't be anything.

Crusader Kings III can be very funny. GTA. Sims. Portal. RPGs like Divinity, KC: D, Witcher.
A lot of games make me smile. :)

Reactions: Sarafan and Zoid

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Just about any ridiculous combat moments will make me laugh and laugh. GTAV can be hilarious.

But a genuine smile? I imagine I will get one from Cloud Gardens, but I haven't gone beyond the first click because I'd like to record my reactions and I need to figure out how to lower the volume of the jet turbine engine sitting on my desk... a proper microphone would probably help too.

There is a pretty strong chance the last game that got me beaming was a lo-fi/2D/isometric one. Probably Space Haven.

Reactions: Frindis and Sarafan

Zoid

Community Contributor
I replayed Portal and Portal 2 recently and they had me cracking up just as much as before. Just the other night I was also smiling at some of the hilarious dialogue that they snuck into Divinity in encounters with seemingly inconsequential NPCs.

But I think the last game to have me beaming ear to ear was Super Mario Odyssey, but this is a PC gaming forum :p

Brutal doom puts a smile on my face with its over the top executions. its OTT that borders on being hilariously cheesy. Seeing a revanant going to town on some hapless zombie or imp is a personal fav as is i suppose performing an execution on a revenant itself as you rip its arm off only to smash its screaming skull off its shoulder.

Reactions: Sarafan
Divinity always puts a smile on my face. The charm, the music, the things that can happen during battle... always a good time.

I used to get a kick out of Battlefield 3. Shooting down planes with tanks was one of my favorite things. I did it a lot in BF4, as well, but something about that game just felt less.... fun to me. I still put way too many hours into it.

Portal yeah, always looked forward to GLaDOS's next reassuring pep talk.

The original Plants v Zombies also tickled my funny bone, between the crazy zombies and their armor & the cute weaponized plants. Crazy Dave, mashed potato bomb, Michael Jackson zombie, traffic cone & bucket helmets, etc etc—PopCap put a whole load of laughs into it.

The modern Far Crys are always liable to throw up hilarious ridiculous moments—bad guys getting mowed down by a cross cow, elephant clearing out an outpost all on its own, bad guy chatter, eagles lifting pigs up into the sky and then dropping them.

Portal yeah, always looked forward to GLaDOS's next reassuring pep talk.

The original Plants v Zombies also tickled my funny bone, between the crazy zombies and their armor & the cute weaponized plants. Crazy Dave, mashed potato bomb, Michael Jackson zombie, traffic cone & bucket helmets, etc etc—PopCap put a whole load of laughs into it.

The modern Far Crys are always liable to throw up hilarious ridiculous moments—bad guys getting mowed down by a cross cow, elephant clearing out an outpost all on its own, bad guy chatter, eagles lifting pigs up into the sky and then dropping them.
Far Cry 5 did this for me. I've experienced more than a few laugh-out-loud moments during my playthrough, not least of which was during a mission where I was defending a farm from a cow invasion. Blasting the herd with a rocket launcher and seeing the cows fly had me crying! Ubisoft does this pretty well in general, I think. Spartan kicking a rando from a castle wall in AC: Odyssey always results in maniacal laughter.

There's loads of games that hit me with the giggle bug from time to time, but few do it so well as the local multiplayer games that I like to play when we're entertaining friends. Overcooked, Stikbold and Genital Jousting are but a few of the games that come to mind when we're in the thick of a ridiculous multiplayer match. Nothing beats old-school splitscreen multiplayer for laughs.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Zoid

Zloth

Community Contributor
There are very rare games out there that just makes you smile, what's yours?
Rare? I do a lot of grinning while I play! Saints Row 3 was probably the funniest. That bit with zombies starting to wake from the dead where your tank refuses to start up... I'm glad the chapter ended because I had to laugh out loud for quite a while on that one! Armed and Dangerous, Anachronox (sp?), Tropico, Portal 1 & 2 (with the lemon!), South Park 1 & 2, and Yakuza 0 were also particularly funny. Many, many other games had lots of funny points, though.

Reactions: Zoid and Yggdrasill
Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
I found playing VR gave me a few smiles just for being a unique and cool experience. Moss springs to mind. The first PC game I've played where you can look around corners just by moving your head.

Pretty much this. A few years back I was very much getting gaming fatigue and my interest in it was steadily declining. Then I tried VR and it was like being a kid again. I was just blown away by the level of immersion and how even basic game interactions suddenly felt fresh again. I love seeing people have the same reaction to it as well. I got a friend, who never tried VR, to play the opening of Alyx and they damn near teared up. Shortly after they'd ordered a PC and Rift S. I especially love playing games that have been modded to work with VR, games like Doom 3 and Alien Isolation for example. The latter in VR is one of my all time favorite gaming experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alm
Recently im most smiley about playing Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2, not just because it brings back fond nostalgic memories of playing it growing up, but now i get to experience playing it with my son, who also likes it too, many laughs and smiles are had. The sound track is still good, even with a modern take, it plays just like the original with on-point improvements. So when i boot that game up and land a 1 mil+ trick, i always get a big grin.

Not a game in particular, but the CD Gamer demo disks. Back in the late 90's, my dad knew somebody who worked at Future, so they always gave him copies of PC Gamer magazine. This meant I was just constantly playing demo disks, and I loved it (I didn't even realise the games had a 'full game'). Just thinking about that always makes me smile.

Last edited:

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Not a game in particular, but the CD Gamer demo disks.

Good demos are really powerful things. Nostalgia too. I played the heck out of the Death Rally demo. If I remember correctly, the original C&C might have been on the same disc. And... over 20 years later, I was still itching to play Death Rally enough that I put 11 hours in to it in under a week. It's fun and fast, and would go down perfect at a LAN party if that is still a thing.

TRENDING THREADS