Question Game Crashes

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
I've had issues for months now and I really can't for the life of me understand it, I don't know a great deal about computers but I do know how to put the parts together. My RAM has no issues shown on the diagnostic, GPU shows regular benchmark results, drivers are all up to date. Games run well but at random points they tend to crash, not the PC just the game. Any help would he appreciated.

Specs:

Graphics Card: 3080

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz

Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-E

PSU: 1000w

Feel free to ask questions, whatever the issue is has been beyond me for a long while.

It could be a few things, but also questions need to be asked.

Is this happening in only 1 game that you play all the time, a few certain games, or all games. This is a big one. If it's in 1 or a few games it could be a few things.

Also how much ram do you have, and do you have multiple ram sticks? If so there could be an issue with one of the sticks. All the diagnostic crap doesn't always work. Trust me. I've used crap/software multiple times and it says it's ok, but the objects weren't ok. Once I removed/replaced a stick of ram, changed a hard drive, even a chip or a card it solved the problem. It's a machine and machines do some crazy machine crap.

Now if you have multiple sticks of ram, then you may want to try one stick at a time being run in the pc and play the game or games that are giving you issues, then try another stick. This can be a good way to see if it's the ram.

Also when doing one stick at a time make sure in the process manager crap you check if each ram runs at the same speed on it's own when you do that. If the speeds are different even if it's the same brand and type that could signal an issue or mean something is there.

Also sometimes turning down settings in games or certain settings can solve the problem. Turning shadows, light type, smoke complexity, etc etc etc can make it stop crashing.

Is your pc a pre built from a company, a person or did you build it yourself?
Sometimes parts don't always play nice together and most of the time might work fine when doing basic things, but as soon as you run programs that are very intense, they will crap out and show their ugly face in many ways.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't I'm sorry and I'm sorry for my crazy writing.

:p

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
Our experts will want to know make and model.

What CPU?

Do all games crash, or only a certain type/genre?

I forgot to mention the CPU my bad, Ryzen 9 5950x and the PSU is a Corsair RM1000x.

I can't say for certain but I've played a good 4 or 5 games at this point and they all give out at some point so I'd believe this would happen with all.

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
It could be a few things, but also questions need to be asked.

Is this happening in only 1 game that you play all the time, a few certain games, or all games. This is a big one. If it's in 1 or a few games it could be a few things.

Also how much ram do you have, and do you have multiple ram sticks? If so there could be an issue with one of the sticks. All the diagnostic crap doesn't always work. Trust me. I've used crap/software multiple times and it says it's ok, but the objects weren't ok. Once I removed/replaced a stick of ram, changed a hard drive, even a chip or a card it solved the problem. It's a machine and machines do some crazy machine crap.

Now if you have multiple sticks of ram, then you may want to try one stick at a time being run in the pc and play the game or games that are giving you issues, then try another stick. This can be a good way to see if it's the ram.

Also when doing one stick at a time make sure in the process manager crap you check if each ram runs at the same speed on it's own when you do that. If the speeds are different even if it's the same brand and type that could signal an issue or mean something is there.

Also sometimes turning down settings in games or certain settings can solve the problem. Turning shadows, light type, smoke complexity, etc etc etc can make it stop crashing.

Is your pc a pre built from a company, a person or did you build it yourself?
Sometimes parts don't always play nice together and most of the time might work fine when doing basic things, but as soon as you run programs that are very intense, they will crap out and show their ugly face in many ways.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't I'm sorry and I'm sorry for my crazy writing.

:p

Originally the GPU was a 3070 and everything worked well, I swapped to the 3080 and its now all a mess but benchmarks show the card works well. I have 4 16gb sticks of ram and the crashes happen on every game I've played I also built the PC myself, hope this helps :).

My first question is: are your GPU drivers updated?

Second question: did you overclock your CPU?

Third question is: why are you so sure nothing is overheating? If you haven't already done it, you should use an app, like Open Hardware Monitor to monitor your CPU/GPU temps and voltages while you play. That way you can go back and verify for sure that it's not the temps causing the problem. I had problems like that once, and it was as simple as a wire got in the way of my CPU fan. I moved the wire out of the way, the fan started working, and my PC started working again. You don't want to let a heat problem go on very long, though, or it will destroy your hardware, eventually.

how much ram do you have?

is it a crash to desktop or causing PC to restart?

curious what windows is showing against each crash, as it would know they happened. it would all show in
  1. search for System Information application
  2. in the left hand row, click the + next to software environment
  3. then choose windows error reporting
  4. now it might take a while to fill. mine has 11 months of windows 11 install on it so mine takes a few minutes
  5. now don't sort it by date as its dumb, it doesn't sort 1st field by date, its alphanumeric instead meaning it sorts by the 1st field, not the month.
for example, the dates are pretty much useless if you click on the header columns, so leave them alone. Top section of report is mostly application crashes, you want to scroll to the default buckets as that is where events are.
FdHLWYM.jpg

now you want to look at the Default buckets as its likely they will show the applications that keep crashing. Just curious if you getting BEX or Pre Radar leak errors.

Wooden Saucer mentioned the drivers which is a good thing to try. Did you also uninstall and reinstall drivers when you changed cards. Sometimes changing cards, even though they use the "same" drivers can make them act all wonky.

Also just cause you mentioned changing cards. have you tried a) taking out your card and reseating it into the slot. That can work sometimes, it has for me and then b) did you try your old card again to see if it stopped crashing?

If you reseat your card and uninstall and reinstall drivers and it's still giving you issues it could be the card is jacked or maybe that card has compatibility issues with your motherboard or something else in your pc. You could look up your card and mobo/chip combo and see if others have had the same issues. It could be a common problem somehow. Hope the advice we're all giving helps ya in some way man.

I had a similar problem, (games with good graphics would suddenly stop and the screen would go blank), some months ago - tried all the usual things, mentioned above, then I noticed on one of the crashes the sound from the game was still playing but the screen went blank. Thought I would need to buy a new graphics card. So I opened it up and was horrified to see the amount of dust within the box!! Bought a dust blower thing, very carefully used it (fans can take chunks out of fingers if you are not very careful) and a "clump" of dust came out from between the graphics card. Should of worn a dust mask - coughing for a few days afterwards.

Worked fine ever since.

Sometimes the stupidly obvious thing works.

Yes I was wondering if people clean the insides of their PC's. Been trying to do mine every six months, compressor/vaccuum.

But for OP, if none of the above fixes problem. Type Reliability into Search, it will show Reliability monitor, run that and it will show each game crash by day. Click on crash icon to see details of crash.

Then to check hardware; download GPU-Z and CPU-z to get specific info that both are working properly.

Then download Open Hardware monitor, this will give you all info on your computer while running and running a game. You should from all that see what the problem is.

I had a similar problem, (games with good graphics would suddenly stop and the screen would go blank), some months ago - tried all the usual things, mentioned above, then I noticed on one of the crashes the sound from the game was still playing but the screen went blank. Thought I would need to buy a new graphics card. So I opened it up and was horrified to see the amount of dust within the box!! Bought a dust blower thing, very carefully used it (fans can take chunks out of fingers if you are not very careful) and a "clump" of dust came out from between the graphics card. Should of worn a dust mask - coughing for a few days afterwards.

Worked fine ever since.

This is something I forgot to mention. He's totally right. Do check to see how dirty it is. Computers can run when doing basic things, but when a program that's intense runs it causes it to heat up and when it's dirty can cause your pc to over heat and get slow, programs to crash and even your pc to reset or completely shut down. Good mention.

Worked fine ever since.

I know it's probably looked down on, but I prefer using a vacuum cleaner hose to suck the dust up, rather than blowing it around with one of those air can things. People probably worry about static, but I've never destroyed any hardware yet like that.

Having said that, it reminds me that I thought I had a video card go out on me once. I ended up opening up my case, cleaning a ton of dust out (including the GPU fan and heatsink), and I reseated the video card. It worked fine after that, and is still working fine months later.

So I opened it up and was horrified to see the amount of dust within the box!!
just need a side window, soon see all the dust and it keeps you proactive. But having dark tint on glass can mean only time I see dust is if I take a photo or take glass side off.

I need to clean my fans, probably take the front filter out (for first time in 2 years). Most of my dust gathers in my roof exhausts so I just clean that off every month or so. Its winter here now so I am not as concerned about heat

I know it's probably looked down on, but I prefer using a vacuum cleaner hose to suck the dust up, rather than blowing it around with one of those air can things. People probably worry about static, but I've never destroyed any hardware yet like that.
funny, i use a set of paintbrushes. I should buy one of those hand held blowers but they not cheap here.

funny, i use a set of paintbrushes. I should buy one of those hand held blowers but they not cheap here.
As someone who is allergic to dust, I never understood why people blow the dust around with a blower, instead of sucking it up with a vacuum. When you blow it, it just gets moved around, but it's still there somewhere. Unless you take it outside and just blow it out of the case onto the ground, or something.

My mother doesn't like the smell of the compressed air so in the past if I used that I would have to take PC outside. I don't have any tables I can put it on out there so it would be on grass. I found the cans of air never really did a good job. So I swapped to using paint brushes and kitchen floor instead. Dust sticks to the brushes.

I haven't taken this PC out to clean it yet. Its 2 years since I took the right side of case off. I can't tell if it needs a clean as the temps inside case have been more or less the same for 2 years now. Fans might be quieter if I clean them I guess. I normally just take side off case and clean the exhaust fans in my room. Or take top of the case off and use a vacuum cleaner on it to get dust out of its foam.

A previous attempt, probably should do it again.
rAqNq6S.jpg

Front filter requires taking front of case off and that is a step I haven't taken yet. I wonder how much dust is on my radiator. There can't be much. Having reverse pressure in case means the dust gathers on exhausts, not intakes. I doubt it has much suction on front.

TRENDING THREADS