FPS lower than it should be

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone,

The store I shopped at helped me build my PC set with NVIDIA 4070 Super, Intel Core I5 12400F and Mainboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4. Monitor is 27'' 2K 180Hz.

The thing is, I am playing AC Odyssey on this PC set on Very High settings and it only benchmarked at 64 FPS, which is at least 10 FPS lower than PC with the same specs and the same game settings that I see on YouTube.

My CPU is not overheated, I've disabled core parking, updated driver, plugged my monitor to the graphic card, but nothing seems to work.

Do you have any idea what I've done wrong?

Thank you so much in advance.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Hi everyone,

The store I shopped at helped me build my PC set with NVIDIA 4070 Super, Intel Core I5 12400F and Mainboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4. Monitor is 27'' 2K 180Hz.

The thing is, I am playing AC Odyssey on this PC set on Very High settings and it only benchmarked at 64 FPS, which is at least 10 FPS lower than PC with the same specs and the same game settings that I see on YouTube.

My CPU is not overheated, I've disabled core parking, updated driver, plugged my monitor to the graphic card, but nothing seems to work.

The Youtube video that you watched, was it a benchmarking video? And what channel? Did you personally witness every graphical setting in their system?

One thing to note is that the same graphics card made by different manufacturers can vary by as much or more than 10 percent? Were your graphics cards both made by the same company?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
The Youtube video that you watched, was it a benchmarking video? And what channel? Did you personally witness every graphical setting in their system?
Tbh I don't even remember which video. It was a benchmarking video but the specs on that video could be different to mine.

But still, my PC with that specs struggles to pull a game from 2018 over 65 fps is very weird. I dont know what is wrong and really trying to fix it

Tbh I don't even remember which video. It was a benchmarking video but the specs on that video could be different to mine.

But still, my PC with that specs struggles to pull a game from 2018 over 65 fps is very weird. I dont know what is wrong and really trying to fix it
Do a test: get a proper benchmark (I think the game has one built in) and then go into your graphics settings and lower the settings on things that are impacting the GPU. For instance, move the shadows to the lowest possible setting and then do the exact same test. If the results are basically the same, then the bottleneck is your CPU.

Also, how much RAM do you have? If you have 16 GB or less, then you may need to make sure everything else is shut down before you play.

A couple ideas:

1. Have you tried benchmarking at lower settings just to test and see if your FPS changes for the better?

2. Have you set BOTH your monitor in its own settings to 180Hz? Windows (and some monitors) will automatically default to 60Hz and need to be set manually. You'll have to play with your monitor buttons to consult the manual to find the setting and Windows can be found in Settings > Display > Advanced Display.

This is my suspicion

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
Do a test: get a proper benchmark (I think the game has one built in) and then go into your graphics settings and lower the settings on things that are impacting the GPU. For instance, move the shadows to the lowest possible setting and then do the exact same test. If the results are basically the same, then the bottleneck is your CPU.

Also, how much RAM do you have? If you have 16 GB or less, then you may need to make sure everything else is shut down before you play.
I lowered Shadow to the lowest possible setting, and the average FPS went up about 7 FPS. My RAM is 16GB

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
A couple ideas:

1. Have you tried benchmarking at lower settings just to test and see if your FPS changes for the better?

2. Have you set BOTH your monitor in its own settings to 180Hz? Windows (and some monitors) will automatically default to 60Hz and need to be set manually. You'll have to play with your monitor buttons to consult the manual to find the setting and Windows can be found in Settings > Display > Advanced Display.

This is my suspicion
I've tried both. Hasn't solved the problem. I really appreciate the help though.

Hi everyone,

I own the game, so I downloaded to see what the performance would be on my laptop so I could have a frame of reference, so I ran it at 2k on Very High, as you said you were doing, and the benchmark said I was at 76 FPS, so you are definitely getting poor performance. Your PC should be significantly faster than my laptop.

Hmm, you probably updated your graphics driver already. What I suggest. I would suggest testing your GPU in benchmarking apps like 3DMark which will show you how your 4070 Super compares to other 4070 Super GPUs

Apologies, I'm a bit hungover today, so not a great deal of advice, but have you enabled XMP? Probably doesn't account for what seems to be a large discrepancy, as Zed pointed out, but just a thought.

Have you ran any CPU/GPU overlays? That could show us if maybe there's a bottleneck there.

Apologies, I'm a bit hungover today, so not a great deal of advice, but have you enabled XMP? Probably doesn't account for what seems to be a large discrepancy, as Zed pointed out, but just a thought.

Have you ran any CPU/GPU overlays? That could show us if maybe there's a bottleneck there.
We know it isn't CPU bound because when he lowered shadow settings he got more than a 10 percent boost, which indicates to me, perhaps incorrectly, that his GPU is the problem in some way since reducing its load gave him a good boost in FPS. Could be loose connections to the power supply, etc. Could be a faulty unit or one that was damaged during installation at the connections. Anyway, that's my guess.

He should just take it back to the shop where got the parts, but those places tend to just try to convince customers there isn't a problem. Perhaps he could contact the GPU manufacturer and give them this info.

We know it isn't CPU bound because when he lowered shadow settings he got more than a 10 percent boost, which indicates to me, perhaps incorrectly, that his GPU is the problem in some way since reducing its load gave him a good boost in FPS. Could be loose connections to the power supply, etc. Could be a faulty unit or one that was damaged during installation at the connections. Anyway, that's my guess.

He should just take it back to the shop where got the parts, but those places tend to just try to convince customers there isn't a problem. Perhaps he could contact the GPU manufacturer and give them this info.
Good point.

I wonder then if maybe the GPU is in the wrong PCIe slot. Shooting in the dark here, as I'd think if it was in a 4x slot it would be considerably slower, but maybe that's what's compromising throughput.

Other thoughts are that maybe it's actually "just" a 4070 and not a Super or something.

Edit: I mean, I guess it can't be in the wrong slot, as it wouldn't fit. But maybe can PCIe slot speeds be altered in the BIOS? I've never looked personally, but just hypothesizing.

Edit again: looking at the manual, it seems this board has a similar PCIe x4 slot in the lower half, so theoretically the card could be in that.

TRENDING THREADS