Final Fantasy 7 Remake for pc

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Zloth

Community Contributor
@Sarafan - Dark Souls. We're going to be hearing about that petition for decades to come as proof petitions work.
Only reason why Square-Enix is still making PC games is due to a contractual obligation with Epic Games.
Strange thing to say a few days after they release the new collection of Final Fantasy games on Steam. They've got exactly 0 final fantasy games, in any form, in the Epic games store.

i never played these games, i never had a play station. It looks like a solid re-release though. But from the looks of it, this looks like the kinda game that would work wonderfully on that new steam deck. If i was a kid and i had one of those and a FF pack under the tree i thnk i would of lost my mind more than i did when i found a coleco with smurfs adventure! :p
Well, we need to first know if it's heading to Steam or if it's gonna be locked down to the Epic Games Store like Kingdom Hearts III and NEO: The World Ends With You. The second step is for Valve to test the game through Proton.

Hello everyone.

Does anybody have any update on this topic?
3bhqB7a.png

Officially, you should save December 10, 2021 to your calendar. Unofficially, you'd better hope for an Epic Games Store exclusivity deal.

Zloth

Community Contributor
So first they make us wait two years for the Playstation exclusive. Then they sign a deal with Epic to make it an exclusive there. AND they are planning to charge and extra $10 for the game!? I've been wanting to play this remake since the bogus trailer they did all those years ago, but this is more than even I can stomach.

What's more, they still haven't even announced the next chapter. Even if I play it, I'm stuck waiting who-knows-how-long until part 2 shows up. Then waiting again for part 3, and so on.

Reactions: Ryzengang
So first they make us wait two years for the Playstation exclusive. Then they sign a deal with Epic to make it an exclusive there. AND they are planning to charge and extra $10 for the game!?
Technically, it's a year and a half. And the "extra $10" to buy the game is the same price that the PS5 version has attached to it. I think in a lot of cases, the purchase of digital goods on the Epic Games Store is exempt from taxation in most regions so unless you live in an area where the taxation of digital goods is required by law, you should get it for very (and i mean very) slightly cheaper than a physical PS5 version?

As for the EGS exclusivity crap, I know it sucks an absolute ballsack, but my experiences with trying to play Japanese games on PC for the past... almost 9 years now... anyways, PC still manages to be the worst platform to play Japanese games on, and between trying to put up the superstition that Japanese developers have towards PC gaming and console elitists demanding to see their PC ports fail, I feel like the situation with FFVIIR is the choosing of a lesser evil between an Epic Exclusive Square-Enix and having to put up with a series of glorified petitions that ultimately ends with multiple Japanese developers coming up with bullcrap excuses about why they don't wanna make PC games anymore.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the Provincial Government of Alberta does want me to pay GST on EGS purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I'm also looking forward to the game, but won't buy it on release date. It would be great if the exclusivity was only temporary. I'd certainly prefer to buy the game on Steam. Too bad that another big title is available only on EGS. In this case I'll wait for a decent sale...

So first they make us wait two years for the Playstation exclusive. Then they sign a deal with Epic to make it an exclusive there. AND they are planning to charge and extra $10 for the game!? I've been wanting to play this remake since the bogus trailer they did all those years ago, but this is more than even I can stomach.

What's more, they still haven't even announced the next chapter. Even if I play it, I'm stuck waiting who-knows-how-long until part 2 shows up. Then waiting again for part 3, and so on.

Yea, this is a slap in the face no doubt. Epic is pouring money into exclusivity deals; did you happen catch the insane prominence of the Epic logo at The Game Awards this year? But if we recap: Epic is offering a signficantly inferior customer experience in their store/launcher (which is hemorrhaging money, by the way) and they are actively annoying a ton of PC gamers by holding down games that they want to play. How does Epic think they are going to get anywhere? How long is the EGS going to bleed money until they stop trying to force people to their subpar platform?

Yea, this is a slap in the face no doubt. Epic is pouring money into exclusivity deals; did you happen catch the insane prominence of the Epic logo at The Game Awards this year?
Honestly, i think the worst part about the EGS exclusivity deal regarding FFVIIR is that the situation with Square-Enix and Epic's actually much better than how a lot of devs handle their business decisions specific to PC gaming.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I really want to play this. I don't know the best way of voting with my wallet. It might be the unfortunate reality that AAA games £70 from now on.
Probably. I'm fine with that, really. The thing is, Square-Epix is trying to prop itself up with exclusivity deals AND raising the price. If they released on all stores for $70, I would mutter a bit, but play those opening 7 notes at me and I would cough up the cash. They are double dipping, though, by taking money from Sony and Epic, then charging us more as well.

Voting with your wallet is easy: don't buy or play the game until it's in an acceptable state. What that is depends on your convictions. A product is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. If sales of FF7 aren't hurt much by all this, gamers will be telling the companies that this kind of thing is just fine.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Probably. I'm fine with that, really. The thing is, Square-Epix is trying to prop itself up with exclusivity deals AND raising the price. If they released on all stores for $70, I would mutter a bit, but play those opening 7 notes at me and I would cough up the cash. They are double dipping, though, by taking money from Sony and Epic, then charging us more as well.

Voting with your wallet is easy: don't buy or play the game until it's in an acceptable state. What that is depends on your convictions. A product is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. If sales of FF7 aren't hurt much by all this, gamers will be telling the companies that this kind of thing is just fine.
Thing is, the alternative to Square-Enix's EGS exclusivity deal is that they wouldn't have even bothered with putting their games on PC at all. Like i mentioned earlier, Square-Enix has never came off as being confident about how well their products would do on Steam and Trials of Mana sold very poorly on PC compared to other systems.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I don't know why you keep saying that. Square-Enix is selling all kinds of stuff on Steam and has been for years. They aren't going to see one game do poorly and abandon the whole platform! All they have to do to make it worth while is beat the costs of porting and marketing. Even if ToM didn't do as well as they expected, did they make a profit?

I don't know why you keep saying that. Square-Enix is selling all kinds of stuff on Steam and has been for years. They aren't going to see one game do poorly and abandon the whole platform! All they have to do to make it worth while is beat the costs of porting and marketing. Even if ToM didn't do as well as they expected, did they make a profit?
Thing is, they've been half-assing their Steam releases since the PC port of the DS port of Final Fantasy III. As for the whole "Japanese developers will abandon their PC support over one game" thing, it's because that they use a failed Nippon Ichi Software game from 2012 as the golden benchmark on how to sell PC games: ClaDun X2.

Disgaea was at the height of its popularity at the time of Cladun's Steam release and that game also marked the Steam debut of a major-ish Japanese developer. There was no doubt that a lot of other Japanese developers were watching it to learn how they should sell their games on a platform that exploded on an international level. What they learned was that they should be a bunch of superstitious c-words with overly inflated expectations out of the PC market

Last edited:
And you're getting all this information from.... where?
PlatinumGames: They stated in an interview with PC Gamer Magazine that they want to put as many of their games on PC as humanly possible. Since that interview, their main focus has been console-only game releases with products like Wonderful 101, Babylon's Fall and SolCresta coming off to me as them "testing the waters" for PC gaming despite having previously released Metal Gear Rising and NieR Automata
Bandai Namco Studios, Inc.: We complained about Ace Combat 7 and Code Vein when those games were new. Considering that we still insist on finding reasons to complain about Ace Combat 7 almost 3 years after its release, I think one can see why they wouldn't release Gundam Extreme VS MAXI BOOST ON to PC. And i dunno if a company that's willing to take a "PC gamers are too whiny to have (product name)" approach to selling their products can be trusted with making a smart business decision moving on from THE IDOLM@STER: Starlit Season's region locking on Steam.
Capcom: Yes, i am aware of their previous statement about them wanting to focus on PC some time ago, though the fact that DMC5 Special Edition seems like a return to the anti-piracy measures used on Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil 5 makes that pro-PC gaming statement a very strong case of "I'll believe it when I see it"
And finally, ATLUS can speak for themselves if their release patterns since P4G are indicative of anything.

I think the examples I mentioned should speak for how superstitious Japanese developers are about putting their games on PC. I think you can see why i prefer the idea of a multimillion dollar corporation making the big decisions about PC gaming for Japanese game developers rather than having those same developers make those decisions by themselves.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Thing is, they've been half-assing their Steam releases since the PC port of the DS port of Final Fantasy III. As for the whole "Japanese developers will abandon their PC support over one game" thing, it's because that they use a failed Nippon Ichi Software game from 2012 as the golden benchmark on how to sell PC games: ClaDun X2.
Where did you find out that any Japanese developers are using ClaDun X2 as the gold standard for how to sell PC games?? Why would, say, SEGA care at all about it, when they have been publishing games on Steam for at least 5 years before that?

Where did you find out that any Japanese developers are using ClaDun X2 as the gold standard for how to sell PC games?? Why would, say, SEGA care at all about it, when they have been publishing games on Steam for at least 5 years before that?
SEGA, i wish i knew what their game is. Virtua Fighter 5 and Judgment don't seem to give much room for optimism and TBF, most of their PC stuff has mostly been SEGA of America, which has Relic Entertainment and Creative Assembly.

As for Cladun being the gold standard, Japanese developers seem to have this expectation that their PC audiences will like games unrelated to their actual interests solely due to choice of platform, and that's a best case scenario. Worst case scenario, they would instead expect you to like games that are objectively inferior to what console fans are already enjoying. Perhaps the most recent example of this is Marvelous' Rune Factory 4 Special, which is really only on Steam just to give PC gamers an outlet for them to say "Please port Rune Factory 5 to PC!", and the only way they'll honor that request is if RF4 sells incredibly well. Like, "Daemon X Machina fans are also buying this" well.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Release on Steam is tomorrow... or maybe today, depending on your time zones. Works with Steam Deck.

About gorram TIME!

Edit: The second game is announced: FF7 Rebirth. They also announced that the series will consist of just three games: FF7 Remake, FF7 Rebirth, and FF7 ToBeNamedLater. Rebirth will release next winter exclusively on PS5 at first, so I presume it will be the same drill.

They are also releasing something that looks like a remake of FF7 Crisis Core (Zack's story). That's supposed to come out this winter on all platforms (including Steam). It looks somewhat more action oriented, but it's hard to tell with these trailers - they always focus on the action.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS