Megaman
N+
Shatterhand
Contra

• Love
Reactions: henry nuansa
Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
If we're limiting to "pure" platformers I think N++ is one of my favorites to this day. The need for timing and precision never got particularly frustrating to me, which is impressive considering that I am legendarily platforming impaired. It's multiplayer co-op is great fun too, though I seem to somehow do even worse there.

I do enjoy tons of Metroidvania style platformers, and Hollow Knight is one of my favorites. There are certainly many others- the Momodora series and Minoria have been quite fun.

For multiplayer 2D platformers, I've enjoyed Ultimate Chicken Horse quite a bit too, but it's also one of those games that you can only play a few times with friends without risking them no longer being friends.

Reactions: ShadowTiger
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
If we're limiting to "pure" platformers I think N++ is one of my favorites to this day. The need for timing and precision never got particularly frustrating to me, which is impressive considering that I am legendarily platforming impaired. It's multiplayer co-op is great fun too, though I seem to somehow do even worse there.

I do enjoy tons of Metroidvania style platformers, and Hollow Knight is one of my favorites. There are certainly many others- the Momodora series and Minoria have been quite fun.

For multiplayer 2D platformers, I've enjoyed Ultimate Chicken Horse quite a bit too, but it's also one of those games that you can only play a few times with friends without risking them no longer being friends.
Is Ultimate Chicken Horse one of those Battle Royale platformers similar to Duck Game?

Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
Is Ultimate Chicken Horse one of those Battle Royale platformers similar to Duck Game?
It's more a competition platformer. You place elements in the level and try to reach the goal, with bonuses going to the first player to reach the goal, eliminating other players with traps, etc.

How are those games btw? They seem pretty reliant on trial and error

I would say they're no more reliant on trial and error than Contra and others. If I remember correctly, the first few levels teach you all the basics. I don't know how well they've aged, as I don't think I've played them in at *least* a decade, if not longer. But I don't remember any sort of "gotcha" moments. Nothing glaring, at least. I'm generally not a fan of games that expect you to know things you couldn't possibly have known in advance. Though it's possible I was more forgiving of those games because in the 90's there wasn't really a plethora of good platformer/side-scrollers on the PC. There were these, Jazz Jackrabbit, a handful of shareware titles, and "Abuse." (Maybe others that I'm forgetting.)

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I would say they're no more reliant on trial and error than Contra and others. If I remember correctly, the first few levels teach you all the basics. I don't know how well they've aged, as I don't think I've played them in at *least* a decade, if not longer. But I don't remember any sort of "gotcha" moments. Nothing glaring, at least. I'm generally not a fan of games that expect you to know things you couldn't possibly have known in advance. Though it's possible I was more forgiving of those games because in the 90's there wasn't really a plethora of good platformer/side-scrollers on the PC. There were these, Jazz Jackrabbit, a handful of shareware titles, and "Abuse." (Maybe others that I'm forgetting.)
Contra definitely is one of those games of trial and error.

Reactions: Krud
Aug 5, 2020
Visit site
Celeste and Super Meat Boy are the only two that immediately came to mind. That style of gameplay is fun to me, you die often but you're instantly back up to try again.

I tried cuphead once but it doesn't have the movement I was looking for.

Reactions: RamiMorrar
Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Any Metroidvania game whatsoever is something I will probably fall in love with. The entire GBA and DS Castlevania games are my jam, as well as Symphony of the Night, Bloodstained, etc. Both GBA Metroid titles, ... oh boy oh boy.

I know they're not necessarily PC Gaming (Except for Bloodstained.) but come on. :p

TRENDING THREADS