Question Dual CPU upgrades

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
I know dual CPUs don't have much of a benefit to gaming, but I was left one after my cousin passed. Its crazy powerful but has become a bit dated and with the announcement and price point of the 3000 series I was thinking of doing some upgrades.

Current build (as per task manager)

CPUs- Intel Xeon CUP E5-2683 v3 @2.00 GHz (28 cores 56 threads (I know I've never used half))
RAM- 128 (8x16gb)
GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6gb (for now)

2 Questions.
1. Do I need to upgrade for a 3000 series, like will it bottle neck?
2. Can/should I run 2 10th gen i3/i5 (relatively cheap, lower cores but much higher speeds compared to current)

PS I'm relatively new to the PC world I know what most of the numbers mean lol, and recommendations appreciated.

Reactions: AdvanceCoolin
What do you use it for?

Just gaming? Other uses?

Your best bet would almost certainly be to sell everything and buy a CPU and mobo from a different family.

For gaming, you'd usually be looking at a 6-8 core (12-16 thread) Intel or AMD Ryzen CPU (on a single CPU system), with there being relatively little benefit to anything above 6 cores. AMD are announcing a new round of CPUs on 8th October so could be worth waiting to see what they have in store for us. That's my answer to 2).

I haven't checked prices but imagine you might turn a profit on the sales (potentially a large one), so it should be easily enough to fund an upgrade on the CPU side. And the components would hopefully go to someone who actually benefits from what that kind of hardware has to offer :)

RE: 1), When you say 3000 series, you mean the new Nvidia 3000 series GPUs?

What monitor are you gaming on? What resolution and refresh rate?

And what do you want any upgrades to achieve for you? What are you looking for the PC to be able to do?

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
1. Do I need to upgrade for a 3000 series, like will it bottle neck?
What kind of performance are you getting now, with your current GTX 1060? Are your dual Xeons keeping up or falling behind? Whether or not the CPUs become your bottleneck depends on how CPU intensive your games are. But, in general, I would expect the Xeons to be your limiting factor in gaming writ large.
2. Can/should I run 2 10th gen i3/i5 (relatively cheap, lower cores but much higher speeds compared to current)
Unfortunately, you won't be able to simply drop in two 10th gen i5s because your motherboard doesn't support them. They use a different socket (LGA1200 instead of FCLGA2011-v3 for your Xeons). My memory is a little fuzzy on what CPUs are drop-in swaps for those Xeons, and I'm thinking some 5th gen i7s might be, but I agree with @Oussebon that if you want to upgrade your gaming performance, a new motherboard and a Ryzen 4000 series or Intel 10th gen would be the way to go.

Do you use this setup for anything other than gaming? The system you have is still a very powerful system for the right purposes, those being server tasks or large scale parallel computing workloads. So Oussebon is right, you might be able to sell the components at a decent price. I'm not sure whether you would get more or less from selling the system as a whole, but that might be worth looking into. I can think of some postdocs at my institute that would love to have a machine like this in their office so they don't have to farm jobs out to the compute server all the time.

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS