Demos—post game demos here

Page 10 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
  • Pro Philosopher 2
    As a philosophy grad, this was offensively bad. You are compelled to make banal arguments that the author clearly thought were brilliant against strawman versions of great philosophers. If you think you can refute Machiavelli in ten minutes with a few sophomoric quips, you haven't understood Machiavelli. Appalling.
I couldn't even finish watching the trailer.

Post apocalyptic survival on a train that you build and use as a base. I had fun with it. As usual, I didn't make it to the combat.

Last edited:

I was disappointed in this, but it may just be my faulty memory at play. I played a demo for this years ago. The new demo is much slicker than the old one, but I remembered there being pretty much every setting you would find on a real camera. In this, there's just zoom and focus. Maybe I'm just misremembering.

Still, it was relaxing to wander around and take photos.

Steam Next Fest June 2024: final batch of demos:
  • Parcel Corps
    This requires a controller—there are technically KB+M controls but the game is insistent that it needs a controller. Disappointing for a game that “PC Gamer” put on their front cover.
  • Glyphica: Typing Survival
    Fun typing shooter, a bit like Asteroids.
  • Bloomtown: A Different Storywishlisted
    Wholesome adventure-JRPG with cosy pixel art set in a quiet all-American town which is definitely not being taken over by child-sacrificing demons.
  • Dice & Foldwishlisted
    This is delightful, very simple gameplay but extremely more-ish.
  • Beat the Humans
    Doesn't tell you how to play. If you're a dev reading this, don't submit a game to Next Fest unless you have a full tutorial ready. I have dozens of demos to play and dozens of games in my backlog. If you don't make it easy for me to get into your game, I am going to drop it.
  • Spirits of the Silicium Forestwishlisted
    Fairly standard turn-based path adventure (of which there are many nowadays), but with a very interesting “Horizon Zero Dawn but Aztecs” storyline.
  • 49 Keys
    Intriguing text adventure, with a strong medieval horror vibe. Not my thing enough to wishlist it but those who like this sort of thing would enjoy it.
  • The Crush House
    Clean silly fun. Fans of Love Island will enjoy this. Loading screens are a bit long though.

Don't know much about this, but I thought of @Colif for some reason when I saw it and thought I'd post it. I may try it out later.

Heat Death Survival Train Demo

Controls work smoothly and PC-friendly settings—graphics, binding.

I spent ~30 minutes all-in, mostly exploring the menus and 4 buildings—2 x habitats, control center and train station—in the barren starting location on what seems like some faraway planet. There are 8 people's living quarters, but nobody around so far.

It's a survival game, with a max-weight inventory system—30 KG for me, of which I'd filled ~12 KG when I quit. You pick up blueprints while exploring, and various materials—presumably for use in 2 crafting stations in the train station.

You have 3 meters—health, stamina and energy—to take care of. I found batteries to power my suit, and recharging stations for used batteries, plus some food scraps. Nothing taxing so far, I only used up a lot of energy while using my flashlight in some dark areas.

Not my genre, but seems decent quality.

Just finished this one. Run and expand a blacksmith business. Hire people. Oversee things like mining for resources. Several crafting actions involve quick mini-games.

Just finished this one. Run and expand a blacksmith business. Hire people. Oversee things like mining for resources. Several crafting actions involve quick mini-games.

So what did you think of it?

Reactions: Brian Boru
So what did you think of it?
I enjoyed it. It's my type of game, for sure, and the execution was flawless. I've seen a lot of demo bugs this week in some games, but then others, like this one, seem like someone actually gave a darn about them.

At first I was a little turned off by the blacksmithing mini-games, but they are so quick and easy, that they are really just there to make you feel like you did something rather than just watching the process.

The demo doesn't go this far, but you can eventually have a whole crew of people working for you and going on expeditions to recover resources, which sounds really good to me.

Also, I've played some shop games lately by small teams and the graphics were just huge turn-offs. That's not the case in this one. They are low poly, but nice looking. Call me a graphics snob, but nice is so much better than bad. It enhances the whole experience.

It went on my wishlist, and I doubt I'll be able to resist long when it comes out.

My kid and I tried out the demo for Everafter Falls. It's similar to Stardew Valley, at least so far. One major difference is that you don't have a stamina bar, which is nice. I don't think the stamina system actually added much to the gameplay in Stardew Valley.

We only played a couple of in-game days though, so we haven't done much beyond chopping some trees/rocks/grass, plant a couple of seeds and fished up a couple of fishes.

Oh, and my kid was very happy she could buy a toilet and put it wherever she wanted in our house.

Kid and I also tried out the demo for Slime Rancher. I think the demo just gives you one hour to play, which turned out to be far too short to see what the game is about when you're playing with a 6 year old, especially if you're eating dinner at the same time.

It seemed to me that getting money was pretty slow, though we also only got two varieties of slime (actually three, but we lost one when my kid jumped off of a cliff before we could put them in a pen).

I suspect that money would be faster to get if you just focus on getting better slimes instead of stuffing as many pink ones as possible into a single enclosure to the point half of them escape by jumping on each other to get over the fence.

Maybe we need to give it another go, though the fact it doesn't have multiplayer means my kid probably won't stay interested for very long anyway.

This game is absolute gold. You have to figure out what you are doing mostly on your own, but the atmosphere and racing are absolutely fantastic. This is what Need for Speed used to be back when it was a great arcade racing game.

The full game isn't coming until 2025, but if you told me I could either have this 1 game or every Need for Speed from the last 15 years, I would take this game.

Only negative might be that a controller is required. All the keyboard drivers will need to skip this.

Demos released the first 3 days of July (I was actually looking for something else and decided I would just post these)

Last edited:
Thanks for that Zed :)

Portal: Ambition doesn't seem to have a demo, unless I'm blind.

That's weird. There are two entries in Steam, one listed as a demo released on 7/1, but there doesn't seem to actually be a demo. Could just be that the developer put something in incorrectly or accidentally listed it as released before it was ready, or released it and changed their mind. No telling. I'll delete it.

Usually when I post demos, it's after I open up a store page and see the demo button. This time I just had a list of demos.

Last edited:

This game releases on August 7. It's not what I was expecting. It's a narrative heavy, third person puzzle platformer. If you like that sort of thing, you might give it a try. I wasn't in the mood for it, but it's well done.

The main portion of the game is similar to Car Mechanic Simulator. Instead of taking customers, you work on cars for your racers to get them ready for the next rally race. You can change out the parts to put the right parts for the race on the car and fix any damage from the previous race. When you are done, you can take it to the test track and drive it around a bit. This is fun, but the car is rather hard to handle, so you likely won't get a lot of useful information from testing the car.

Races are divided into segments. You don't see your driver run the race, but listen to a call of the race over the radio. After each segment, the car comes back to you, and you have a list of things that need to be worked on and a time limit on how long you have to get the car ready for the next segment. Fail this and your driver may not be able to compete in the rest of the race.

Overall, it is very well done. Very polished. This bodes well for the full game. I do wish the driving was easier. Like Car Mechanic Simulator, they consider the driving realistic. In reality, we'd all be dead if cars handled this way, but you will probably get used to it over time.

There goes the weekend…

Demo works until Monday sometime.

PCG first look:

"Frank Klepacki is one of the composers"

4iJRcL0.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts