Demos—post game demos here

Page 11 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Updates to Free Demos on Steam
  • Demos now behave better in the Steam library
  • Demos can now have a separate store page
  • User reviews for demos
  • Demos now appear more in the Steam store
  • Wishlist notifications when demos become available
This cracked me up:
Q. What is the deal with the Demo icon? Is that a plate? A vinyl record?
A. That classic icon, my friend, is from the days when demos were commonly distributed through the post office, contained in a bound package of game journalism printed on dead trees and imprinted on circular media known as Compact Discs.

Jewel Match Origins 3 - Camelot Castle Collectors Edition

Played 50 minutes of the 1-hour demo available from BigFish.

Very polished, great graphics—top-notch production values.
Modes are Relaxed, Timed, Limited Moves.

It's too shiny for me, I felt like donning my shades to cope with the sparkling graphics. Other problem is too much going on—too many different object types and power-ups—for what's mostly meant to be a relaxing genre.

Could be ideal for RPG players who like RGB and want a small side game ;)

The following quote from the above article drew my attention:

Play just the first, exciting part of a Civilization-like 4X over and over by exploring out from the first settlement.

So now that I've finished Marvel: Midnight Suns I decided to check out the demo.

First of all, the game does not feel like the first, exciting part of Civilization. It's far too stressful for that.
Every expedition you get a choice of 3 goals to complete in 8 steps. Each goal gives you a specific number of resources to gather for a specific monetary reward, or a fee if you fail to get everything. However, the entire map starts covered in a fog of war, with only the tiles adjacent to your avatar being revealed, so you often have to make a guess on whether you'll actually be able to fulfil any goals. Of course you'll have more information on subsequent expeditions, but the resources you claimed on earlier expeditions are gone, so it's also harder to get to the resources you need.

The game does give you some consumables to help, but those cost money and if you don't have enough left at the end of the year it's game over. A year is only 5 expeditions long, so a single mistake can be pretty costly.

At the end of the year, the map is reset and you get a choice of one of three abilities, such as increasing the visibility by one tile or skipping over a tile if you're going in a straight line. This is a major help, but the amount you need at the end of the second year is double that of the first year. You do carry over the leftover money at the end of a year, but that also means that one bad year makes the entire game much more difficult.

The demo only covers the first two years of the game. Provided you survive the first year of course, I failed on my first two tries. The demo feels too much luck based for my liking, though at the end of the demo it does mention that the full game includes additional items and mechanics that should allow you to better mitigate the risks you're required to make.

All in all, it seems like an interesting game, best suited for short gaming sessions.

*sigh* Another jankfest of a pirate game. Trailer looked so good and then the character struggles to even walk up stairs and the UI is painful. Tastes vary, so I'll go ahead and post it anyway. Someone else may like it.

I tried out the demo for Shadows of Forbidden Gods. I only played the first two tutorials, but so far it feels like a game that has a lot of interesting mechanics, but a steep learning curve and a terrible UI.

It reminds me a bit of Crusader Kings, where you have no idea what you're supposed to be doing when you start playing and you feel like stuff just kind of happens, but the more you play the more mechanics you discover you can play around with, a lot of which are buried in menus or require an intimate understanding of the game mechanics that no in-game tutorial will teach you.

Country Tales 2

Got the demo from BigFish Games but didn't complete the full hour.

Gameplay is exactly same as CT1 which I own from years ago. It's not bad, but no Royal Envoy—which has spoiled most other builder-puzzle games for me.

The one unusual mechanic I haven't seen before in these kind of games is you have unlimited Workers—every other game you have to buy them if you want more than start number.

It's standard casual builder—build a few houses to earn rent, build support buildings to keep the village ticking over… eg lumber mill, farm etc. The puzzle aspect is in figuring out the optimal sequence in which to get and spend your resources, and be fast enough to earn the gold star(s).

Reactions: ZedClampet
No, it does not indeed, I dropped it after ~15 minutes. Nothing to add to Pifanjr's fine review, seems maybe more suited to farming or survival players.
As a farming and survival player, I can tell you there are zero similarities. I only played this for a little while. Honestly, it just felt pointless to me. I wasn't bought in at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts