Dell Inspiron 7559

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
what version of windows is he installing?
if its windows 10
Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair PC, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
that will show you size of the drives installed. and if you have 1 or 2

photos would be cool, upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

What laptop make/model is it?

you can tell its 4am when i miss what it says in topic.

nvme drives shouldn't have data cables?

1 2.5inch hdd and 1 m.2 slot
looks like it comes with 1tb hdd.

i can find it with some confusing stats
Dell Inspiron 15 7559 15.6" FHD Gaming Laptop PC, Intel i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD+8GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10
8gb ssd? but anyway.

there are varying specs within the same model so its difficult to tell what you have

As I understood @Colif @Brian Boru @Lutfij we are installing a 2.5 inch SATA SSD as a second hard drive. The laptop already has a 256GB SSD, I assume a SATA M2 from the factory as per post 2, because OP said they wanted to install a second Seagate hard drive.

these are the specs of my laptop. I think I answered my own question...
Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (6th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-6300HQ Processor up to 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M, Windows 10)

@Lechero considered adding a 2.5 inch Seagate HDD as extra storage, I suggested an SSD instead if it was a drive for games.

Man I really appreciate your responses. There isn't the same SSD slot as the one already installed is occupying. It's a lmost a square 5inchx5inch cutout with one cable...

Crucial M500 2.5 inch SSD is now installed in the secondary 2.5 inch SATA, seen in OS but unresponsive in disk manager when OP tries to format it.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
thanks for clearing that up.

could try diskpart instead
on desktop go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup click restart now
restarts PC in a blue menu
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

restart PC.

that should wipe nvme. and let him interact with it again. He will still need to partition it in disk management

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Hmmm, thanks for bringing me up to speed, @Kaamos_Llama ! @Lechero which version of Windows 10 are you currently on? Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment for your laptop? You can also try and use Crucial's Storage Executive App to see if the drive is showing on their utility. If not, then I'd try and see if you can reinstall Intel's RST.

On second thoughts, can you give us screenshots of what you're seeing in Device Manger?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
Hmmm, thanks for bringing me up to speed, @Kaamos_Llama ! @Lechero which version of Windows 10 are you currently on? Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the moment for your laptop? You can also try and use Crucial's Storage Executive App to see if the drive is showing on their utility. If not, then I'd try and see if you can reinstall Intel's RST.

On second thoughts, can you give us screenshots of what you're seeing in Device Manger?
Jesus you guys are experts!

I can take a photo shortly...

Reactions: Lutfij
Easy does it, we're not out of the woods yet :) but thank you for the praise! No rush with the photos.

For OS version, Right click Start>Left click on System, the version should be on the bottom of new window. If you're unsure of how to get into BIOS, you can use CPU-Z to show you what BIOS you're on, found under Mainboard tab, BIOS section. Crucial's Storage Executive app can be found here.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS