Question CPU Advice to upgrade from 3770K

May 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I am needing to upgrade my PC to play COD MW more smoothly - Current system 3770k @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB 1600 @ 2133 Mhz, RTX 2070 Super & SSD etc.

I currently get 120+ FPS @ 1440/120Hz however it has micro stutters etc.

I am very budget minded atm so I was thinking possibly the Ryzen 3300x with an X570 MB (or B450) so I can upgrade to a 4000 series chip down the track. I would overclock both the CPU and Ram (16GB 3200 CL14 - fine tuneed).

I have always been on the Intel side however even the 10600k is $499 AU.

I know the 3300x is 4C/8T but my 3770K runs fine apart from the stutters etc.... And I will upgrade to a 6C + when I know what my work situation is. Before you ask, Yes i can afford it!

Any thoughts would be great as I am just in two minds which way to go. I am very technical so throw stuff at me...

however it has micro stutters etc.
In what games and what circumstances?

Have you actually proven it's to do with the CPU?

Not saying it isn't - I'm in almost exactly the same boat (see spec in sig) - but worth being sure in case it's something else.

I am very budget minded atm so I was thinking possibly the Ryzen 3300x with an X570 MB (or B450) so I can upgrade to a 4000 series chip down the track. I would overclock both the CPU and Ram (16GB 3200 CL14 - fine tuneed).
You' can't be that budget minded :) - you have an RTX 2070 Super and want to buy an X570 motherboard (possibly), and buy a CPU for ~£100/AU equivalent only to replace it after a few months.

I'd have recommended putting up with the stutters for a few months until Zen 3 releases. If you're going to end up with Zen 3 anyway, you might as well buy it outright instead of buying a 'cheap' CPU that still costs a certain amount of money and then replacing it.

May 24, 2020
Visit site
You' can't be that budget minded - you have an RTX 2070 Super

Yes this is true but I had a job then LOL

In all seriousness I know what you are saying about the cheap CPU but I would just get a cheap board and upgrade one of the other PCs that are still running Gen 3 Intel when Zen 3 comes out. If the rumours are true they sound very very nice.

I only play Call of Duty MW - Both multiplayer and BR/Plunder

The stuttering drives me nuts! Sometimes it's worse than other times, I guess it could be partly a server issue, however other guys I am playing with don't complain, they all play on PS though. My ping time is usually in the mid 20s to mid 30s and I usually get 90 to 95 mbps down and 40mbps up to my ISP (fibre).

Running at 1440 has taken a huge load off the CPU, but in saying this it's nearly 8 years old and it had a hard life before I got it. I had a 3770 non K in there previously @4.1Ghz, can't remember if that was prior to the 2070 or not.

Even though I have a shed load of voltage running to get that OC it never goes much higher than 75c. I have a BeQuiet Dark Rock TF and the cover is removed from the case as it gets way to toasty if I leave it on, this is only because it is in a HTPC case which is in a TV cabinet (both front and back are fully open), the hot air just seems to circulate through.

My screen is an LG Oled C7! I understand that it is slower than a proper gaming monitor however that isn't going to change anytime soon just due to the location where I play. I just think the game has got so damn big that older hardware running at reasonable picture quality seems to suffer.

One thing I gave done after reading an article is to disable "Game Mode" in windows, this has eased the issue slightly.

TRENDING THREADS