Cooling pad/chill mat for gaming laptop?

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm just getting back into PC gaming after being primarily on console for the last few years.

Due to space issues etc, I opted for a gaming laptop rather than a desktop PC. I'm wanting to buy a cooling pad (will be nice if I want it on my lap in bed, etc) but I'm having a real difficult time coming up with options that are available to me in Australia. I won't be playing hardcore (for the foreseeable future anyway) but nevertheless am worried about any potential heating issues I might experience (it'll be nice to be able to place it on something in general, I just want whatever it is to be useful.

Retailers here seem to have a very...lackluster selection for cooling pads. The most common one is this:

I'm fine with buying it, but I can't find the fan feed anywhere and from reading I should be looking for something that does at least 1200 RPM? Any help or suggestions in relation to this would be greatly appreciated. For reference, my laptop is this:

(I wanted the Predator, which has the same exact specs but a better cooling system...but no availability so oh well)

Last edited:
USA here. I used a 17" Alienware laptop as a desktop replacement for a few years middle of last decade. I got this Cooling pad for it, which did a great job.

That one had 3 movable fans spinning 950 to 1800 rpm, so your 1200 target sounds right. The movable fans were great, as I could position them under the heat sources—that laptop had 2 GPUs so there was plenty of hot stuff about!

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
USA here. I used a 17" Alienware laptop as a desktop replacement for a few years middle of last decade. I got this Cooling pad for it, which did a great job.

That one had 3 movable fans spinning 950 to 1800 rpm, so your 1200 target sounds right. The movable fans were great, as I could position them under the heat sources—that laptop had 2 GPUs so there was plenty of hot stuff about!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've noticed Cooler Master has some great pads - but for the most part they seem to be designed for use on a table/desk. That might be the only way for me to get a truly good cooling pad but it'd sure be nice to be able to put it on my lap.

TRENDING THREADS