Solved Connecting my PC to an unused fiber cable from my ISP

—TL/DR—
I have a second, unused fiber optic cable from my ISP right outside the window of my new home office. If I run the fiber through the wall into the new office, is there something I can buy that will interface the fiber optic cable to a LAN cable that plugs into my pc?
———

My office used to be located in a room on the east end of my house. The 500 mbps fiber from my ISP comes from the street to my house on the opposite end, the west end of the house. When the fiber was originally installed, I had it run around the outside of the house to the office at the east end where it came inside and plugged into a box of some kind. That box connected to a WiFi router, and I could then connect my PC LAN input to the WI-FI router’s LAN output.

Now my PC is in a new office on the east end of my house, where the fiber coming from the street reaches the house right outside the window. I need to figure out how to connect the PC. Ideally I would just pull a fiber cable from the junction outside and connect it to some kind of LAN router in the new office. That way I could leave the 500 mbps WI-FI in the west end of the house where it can be used in the living room by a 4k TV and gaming laptop, and still have access to 500 mbps speeds in the new office.

Traditional Wi-Fi can’t reach across the house without loosing 95% of it’s strength. Even Wi-Fi booster antennas can’t maintain the speeds I need. I looked at Wi-Fi mesh networks, but 500 mbps ones are much more expensive than just pulling a fiber cable into the new office from outside.

I need to know if there’s a piece of hardware I can buy that will connect my PC’s LAN plug to the fiber optic cable.

Your computer can't translate the data coming from fiber optic cables. That's why it goes through a modem ("a box of some kind") first and then to a router. So you need a modem or a modem/router combo, but don't buy one until you talk to your ISP because they aren't going to give permission to the new modem to translate the data unless you pay them some more money. How much depends on the ISP.

A modem is the translator. A router sends the data to different computers. So if you are only going to want to hook it up to one computer, you only need the modem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Your computer can't translate the data coming from fiber optic cables. That's why it goes through a modem ("a box of some kind") first and then to a router. So you need a modem or a modem/router combo, but don't buy one until you talk to your ISP because they aren't going to give permission to the new modem to translate the data unless you pay them some more money. How much depends on the ISP.

A modem is the translator. A router sends the data to different computers. So if you are only going to want to hook it up to one computer, you only need the modem.

Thank you, Zed!

Reactions: ZedClampet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts