Colored pixel on both screens then resets PC!

May 14, 2023
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently just built a new PC since my old rig is about 8 years old.

Specs:
13th Gen Intel i9-13900k
64gb Ram
4070ti

It's been about 2 days now and I get a pixel colors on both screens and it resets my PC most of the time. If not, it makes a loud noise and just freezes. The freeze/noise thing has only happened 1 time so far. It has just been restarting. Below is what I got from the Event Viewer.

My Discord: Hellz#0001

Thanks!

what are full specs including who makes each part & their model.

a picture of those pixels might help too, to know what you seeing.

event viewer doesn't reveal anything, its possible windows doesn't know why it restarted.
Event 41(63) happens after a restart, windows runs a report to check on shutdown and if found to be unexpected, creates that event

Last edited:
May 14, 2023
Visit site
--> Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H Gaming (WiFi 6E) LGA 1700(Intel12th&13th Gen) ATX

--> GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 4071ti

--> CPU: 13th Gen Intel i9-13900k

--> CPU Cooler:
CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler

--> PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000, 1000W 80+ Gold

--> RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6400

--> Monitors (2x): LG 32" (31.5" Viewable) 32GN650-B UltraGear QHD 2560 x 1440 1ms 165Hz HDR10 Gaming Monitor

--> OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045 (Bought from g2g.com)

Can't really get a pic of the pixel since it restarts and happens so fast. From what I saw and remember it was random colored pixel boxes on both screens then it restarts.

1000watt PSU is overkill for that system. I doubt cause is the PSU though, just thought I mention it. Seasonic make top quality PSU so its unlikely to be it.

since it appears problem could be graphics, have you tried running PC off the Integrated graphics on CPU to see if you get same problems. If nothing else it would tell you if the GPU is the cause or not. You won't be able to run any games I don't think...

Reactions: Brian Boru
May 14, 2023
Visit site
Ya, I was thinking it might be the GPU. Just don't know how to test it because it only happens while playing games lol. Integrated won't run anything. I literally just remembered I still have my old 1070ti LOL. I'll try swapping that. Thanks!

The only real test is to put GPU in another PC and see if it has same problem.

Sure, using another GPU tests if its another part... It would be unusual if Two did same error. If you know GPU is good, its a start.

As then have to wonder what else might cause the glitch.

you could look in Reliability History and see if there are any errors there apart from the restarts. Windows sees an unexpected restart as a hardware error. I am wondering if there are any there about GPU drivers restarting... but pixels on screen doesn't sound like a software error.

May 14, 2023
Visit site
*UPDATE*
Found the plastic still on my M.2 Dual Cover that is on top of the heatpads. So idk, maybe its overheating the m.2??

----------------

I found this just now, I didn't think it was anything but it seems it has something to do with the PC restarts and the event viewer error "volmgr 161"

Right Click > Update Driver doesn't do anything. So I have to look more into it.

View: https://imgur.com/a/gTBnWdA

Last edited:
turns head to see screen... then sees bookshelves and realises it is in that orientation

that screen doesn't look healthy. I would rma GPU and get a new one.

Are you running in RAID? you didn't show storage so I can't tell.

That could be fixed with a BIOS update or a chipset driver from Intel. Could run this and see what it finds - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/ - click get started

1000watt PSU is overkill for that system.
Nah, depends. PSUs are at their most effective when they have about half load. His PSU supports fanless mode, which means the fans will not spin. And fans that don't spin means less noise, and less dust in the PSU.

Sure, it is a luxury, but a PSU that doesn't make noise or fill up with dust, makes it just one less thing to worry about.

May 14, 2023
Visit site
Check connectors to and from the GPU / PSU. Had a similar issue with a loose cable one time.
Ok, ill check into that. Also I saw this today while playing Path of Exile. Is that normal? Temperature #5 on the mobo I believe. Seems SO HIGH. Max then changed to 124c and the value went to 112c.

***EDIT***
Faulty reading for Temp 5. It's known for erroneous readings. Nevermind!

I did re-installed GPU using DDU and so far no restarts. But I'll keep researching.

View: https://imgur.com/a/3eOFWMZ

Last edited:
All Asus Motherboards have sensors on them that show weird values. Often you see some with negative values as well.

what case is this in? How many fans in case apart from AIO? Your report only shows 1 fan, its why I asked.

Is AIO intake or exhaust? your temps seem fine, I was just curious.

Nah, depends. PSUs are at their most effective when they have about half load. His PSU supports fanless mode, which means the fans will not spin. And fans that don't spin means less noise, and less dust in the PSU.
i have a 1k Watt PSU myself so I was walking on egg shells. It was unclear when I got my GPU how much it actually uses... it still is. it gives me wiggle room for when I replace CPU in a few months. I also have had a Seasonic PX750 recently so I know about the button on the back of PSU that lets you choose which fan plan to run.

May 14, 2023
Visit site
All Asus Motherboards have sensors on them that show weird values. Often you see some with negative values as well.

what case is this in? How many fans in case apart from AIO? Your report only shows 1 fan, its why I asked.

Is AIO intake or exhaust? your temps seem fine, I was just curious.

i have a 1k Watt PSU myself so I was walking on egg shells. It was unclear when I got my GPU how much it actually uses... it still is. it gives me wiggle room for when I replace CPU in a few months. I also have had a Seasonic PX750 recently so I know about the button on the back of PSU that lets you choose which fan plan to run.

Im using case LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL

View: https://imgur.com/a/B3QAT1R

I have 10 fans total.
6 intake (side panels & bottom panels)
4 exhaust (top panels using AIO & 1 single to the back).

i did see the fan percentages under the 1 fan speed showing. I wonder if HWINFO would show all fans. I know it can't see my AIO ones as they controlled by Corsair but it should see more than just 1 speed. Especially as you using 7 headers.

You don't have to do this, it might just show more fan speeds -
Download HWINFO - https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

when you open the app, click the tick box next to show sensors only, and click run
in the next window, click on the gear icon in bottom right, this opens settings.

On General tab, under polling period, set it to 500 and click the set button next to it, and click OK. this reduces the amount of time between sensors updating so its more accurate and you can watch CPU fall and rise all day.
7Zx91ly.jpg

I used tips from this video to set up icons in toolbar to track two temps but not the ones he chooses, I went with Core Temperatures instead of the package temp

Core Temperatures is average temp of all cores and ignores the constant spike of a core being woken up every second or so.
If you want to know actual speed of CPU at any one time, the best to watch is Core Effective Clock

Another thing you can do it set it up so it shows graphs of scores you are interested in and can watch onscreen. you can do this via right clicking a sensor value in main menu
FGiBDt6.jpg

and they show like below:

thKi1kJ.jpg

There are OSD controls as well but I don't use those so I am sure there are guides on internet for those now

There are downsides to having AIO as exhaust. It really depends on the GPU though. I doubt a 4070 is as hot as say a 4090 would be. Using AIO as exhaust above a 4090 is a great way to cook your CPU as you have to remember the AIO is there to cool CPU, if its taking hot air from GPU into radiator, its source of any air is the case. I have mine as intake on front of case, its source of air is outside case

it can make a difference

Your case can probably cope with it where it is though. 6 intake means not a lot of anything stays inside case for long. Though if I had that case I would mount the 360mm AIO on the side panel as an intake, as the heat from CPU isn't that huge compared to GPU.

• Love

TRENDING THREADS