Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 42 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
What's the point of following the news? People keep saying I should stay informed. I went to the news the other day, and the first story was about a 4 year old being shot by a lunatic during a road rage incident. I needed to know that for what reason?
Here an infant got grazed by a bullet just yesterday. Thankfully the guy was arrested. And I'm still reeling from that incident in Virginia some time ago where a 6 yr old shot his teacher. I know we have a lot of kids middle to high school age that are strongly advocating for better laws to control such problems, but you have to wonder what will become of this nation if young kids get fed up and start getting a hold of guns and make the wrong choices to solve the problem. Hopefully sanity will win out.

Last edited:
I should be back on normal, fiber Internet tomorrow. Been using my phone's hotspot all week, but I've used my limit so it's dropped down to emergency use speed, which is several kb/sec. Miserable.

I was sitting at Karns High School waiting for Guido, and their mascot is a beaver. I was thinking about that.

Me: "Hey, Siri."
Siri: "M'hm?"
Me: "Is a beaver a rodent?"
Siri: "From what I found, a beaver is a rodent."

I think about that for a minute, and then:

Me: "Is an otter a rodent?"
Siri: "From what I found, an otter is not a rodent, unlike a beaver."

What? She remembered what we had talked about before and added it to the conversation!

Me: "How close are you to being sentient?"
Siri: "Who do you want your message sent to?"
Me: "Clever."
Siri: "I don't see "Clever" in your contact list."
Me: "So you are going to stick to this ruse?"
Siri: Didn't answer.

Do people eat petros wherever you are from? Maybe they are called different things at different places.

To make petros, you make a pot of chili (hamburger meat, pinto beans, tomato paste, chili powder and cayenne pepper is the basic chili recipe)

When the chili is done, you get your serving bowl and put a layer of corn chips on the bottom, then a layer of chili, then a layer of sour cream. On top, you can put some or all of shredded cheddar cheese, jalepenos, ripe olive slices, chives, and diced tomato.

That was dinner tonight. Delicious if you aren't a heartburn sufferer.

My guess is that it was some type of radiation safety thing since people were most likely more concerned about such stuff back then with the Chornobyl disaster in the news all the time and this way the companies selling them could calm people down with "Oh no, this is completely safe mam, we have this radiation safety timer so you won't have your insides melting"

I expect some of you remember the old microwave ovens and how they would, when finished, count off an extra 10 seconds or so before you were supposed to open the door. Does anyone remember why they did that? Did they use some different method of microwave generation that took a few seconds to stop generating? Was it some psychology thing?
My guess is that it was some type of radiation safety thing since people were most likely more concerned about such stuff back then with the Chornobyl disaster in the news all the time and this way the companies selling them could calm people down with "Oh no, this is completely safe mam, we have this radiation safety timer so you won't have your insides melting"
I bought a new microwave last year, and if you use one of the presets, like popcorn or auto-sensor cooking, it beeps and then does a 10 second countdown. But if you manually set the time and power, it doesn't do that. I've wondered what the purpose of the countdown is. My old one from the 90's didn't do that. By the way, it's still definitely cooking during the countdown, as you can hear the popcorn still going strong.

Edit: I just googled it, and the first three answers that came up were all different. One said that one part of the microwave got really hot and needed a few seconds to cool down (but why wouldn't it do it if I just type in 5 minutes?). One said that the turntable keeps going until your food is in the same position it was in when you placed it in the microwave, and one said the timers were on increments of 3, 5 or 10 seconds.

Apparently we'd have to actually talk to a microwave designer to get the real answer.

Last edited:
Do people eat petros wherever you are from? Maybe they are called different things at different places.

To make petros, you make a pot of chili (hamburger meat, pinto beans, tomato paste, chili powder and cayenne pepper is the basic chili recipe)

When the chili is done, you get your serving bowl and put a layer of corn chips on the bottom, then a layer of chili, then a layer of sour cream. On top, you can put some or all of shredded cheddar cheese, jalepenos, ripe olive slices, chives, and diced tomato.

That was dinner tonight. Delicious if you aren't a heartburn sufferer.

I just call that nachos.

Definitely similar, but nachos don't have chili and Corn Chips, but I doubt you have Frito Lay Corn Chips where you live.

Nacho chips are typically made from corn and I don't see why chili wouldn't be a perfectly fine topping for nachos.

We don't have Frito Lay Corn Chips as far as I'm aware, but nachos don't need a specific type of corn chips to be nachos.

Nacho chips are typically made from corn and I don't see why chili wouldn't be a perfectly fine topping for nachos.

We don't have Frito Lay Corn Chips as far as I'm aware, but nachos don't need a specific type of corn chips to be nachos.
You're from Germany. You don't really know what you are talking about :ROFLMAO: You probably put cabbage on your nachos.

By the way, corn chips are kind of hard to describe, but their two primary uses are for petros and starting campfires due to their high oil content. Of course, some people just eat them. They are fairly tasty.

I have seen videos of people using Doritos as fire starters as well.

I think corn chips are perfect for dipping. With nachos and petros you just dump all of the dippings on top of the chips instead.

My compact Panasonic, the brand that invented Inverter tech that reduces the size of the transformer and allows true gradient level of power vs cycling the magnetron on and off constantly, only beeps five times at the end of cooking time.

I've always thought the beeps at the end of the cooking cycle are just to let you know what you have in there is done cooking, much like an egg timer goes off after the time runs down. If it adds a 10 sec countdown, it could be just to let the food cool down a bit. My Panny actually has a fan that kicks on at the end of cooking time if the cooking cycle is a hot one, which it can detect via heat sensors. The fans expel the heat quickly, and also odors I find.

Anyone that uses a microwave a lot but hasn't ever had one with inverter technology really ought to look into it. I would say in laymen's terms it's a bit like analog vs digital, meaning a microwave without it is either on full power, or off, cycling back and forth between the two. This means the molecules in the food cycle between being super excited, or relaxing. Food does not like to be cooked this way, it is not a natural, even way of cooking. It makes them go back and forth between being super hot, and cooling down.

Another thing I like about the design of my Panny is it has actual metal buttons and a metal dial that pops out when you tap it, and back in flush when you push it again. I detest the sense touch panels many microwaves have, and they are often one of the first things that fails on ones that have them. The dial on mine is what sets time or levels of defrost, etc. I rarely use my microwave full power, and when I do, it's for things like quickly heating a mug half full of hot tap water and Alpine Cider mix, which I zap for a minute full power, then fill the mug full with more hot tap water. I usually set the Power level to 6, which is roughly 600 watt as this unit is 950 watts at full power. This power is perfect for warming 3 cold slices of pizza (2 min), or warming a bowl of soup (2.5 min).

This microwave is also excellent at defrosting with it's Turbo Defrost feature. I use it every morning at level one to thaw my frozen Blueberries, which I buy fresh in 18 oz size. I select level 1 with the dial after tapping the Turbo Defrost button. Level one lets it go 36 sec. I then after scooping out 3 oz of Greek Yogurt, go through the same process with the microwave, but this time open the door when the 36 sec counts down to 27.

Turbo Defrost is also great for thawing my 1 Lb packs of Land o Frost sliced turkey I use for my sandwich at lunch if I forget to put a pack in the fridge when I run out of it the day before. I just set it to Turbo Defrost level 2 (1 min 10 sec), and run it a few times that way, turning it over and flipping it end to end each time. The only slight neg of this microwave is it did not come with a thorough manual on how to use it, so much of getting to know what works well is via trial and error.

Last edited:
I don't understand all the hand-wringing about passwords in the coming age of quantum computers. Why would you ever create a log-in system that could be brute forced? There are a lot of ways to stop brute force attacks. It really shouldn't be an issue. Even if you did something so simple as force a 1/10th of a second delay between password attempts, that would stop it. Of course, most systems only allow a few attempts before you have to verify your identity anyway. I'm just not seeing it as a real problem unless you have a poorly designed system, Or maybe there's something I'm missing. That's always a possibility.

I don't understand all the hand-wringing about passwords in the coming age of quantum computers. Why would you ever create a log-in system that could be brute forced? There are a lot of ways to stop brute force attacks. It really shouldn't be an issue. Even if you did something so simple as force a 1/10th of a second delay between password attempts, that would stop it. Of course, most systems only allow a few attempts before you have to verify your identity anyway. I'm just not seeing it as a real problem unless you have a poorly designed system, Or maybe there's something I'm missing. That's always a possibility.

From what I understand the problem is that quantum computers don't brute force the input of a password, which as you point out you can protect against, they brute force the decryption. This would be an entirely local process that would result in the password in plain text.

Zloth

Community Contributor
From what I understand the problem is that quantum computers don't brute force the input of a password, which as you point out you can protect against, they brute force the decryption. This would be an entirely local process that would result in the password in plain text.
But then your password choice doesn't matter. Use "password" or 10Kb of random characters - if the encryption is broken, neither will be hidden.

By the time passwords become useless, we will have moved to other methods. Biology-based are my fav of the currently available or developing alternatives.

♣ Fingerprint, eg MS's 'Hello'.
♦ Personally identifiable actions, eg typing rhythm or speaking voice.
♥ Photo ID via webcam.
♠ Preferably, a couple of these paired.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS