Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 90 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Is everyone familiar with the DiVinci Code, or did everything just fade away? For the whippersnappers, that book/movie was the first time most people had ever heard of the Illuminati. That's survived, at least. I have a stupid reason for asking, so for once I'll keep it to myself.

I seem to be losing my battle against my innate stupidity and incompetence. I won't go into details, but I must have set some sort of galactic record this week. If anyone would like an autograph, just let me know

Far as I know, the idea of the illuminati running everything was popularized in the 60's by the Prinicipia Discordia, followed by the Illuminatus! Triliogy. They thought the idea of a Bavarian Society of Ancient illuminated seers running everything behind the scenes was absurd, so they ran with it. The books are very silly but occasionally have some interesting insights.

I always liked this parable from the Prinicipia. Sometimes I have a hotdog on a Friday, so I can still see the fn23ords.

Some guys write a book called 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' which was all about the Knights Templar, shortly (edit: nope it was from the 80's) when Divinci Code came out, the authors tried to sue Dan Brown because the plot of Code basically followed a lot of stuff they talked about in that 'non fiction' book.

Late 90's internet was fun.

Last edited:
I dont have much time to fall down rabbit holes anymore, but every time I find an outlandish claim about historical events or places I straight away find someone who studied the field for their whole career refuting it. Of course, that's what they would say... :D

Theres a lot of stuff about Great Tartary and Bosnian pyramids that gets shared on social media here, turns out thats Russian slavic supremacist propaganda, a lot of the Illuminati stuff was fundamentalist Christians going after prominent Jewish people 20 years ago when you analyzed it, its still around today. I always try to look at any conspiracies through that lens, plans within plans.

I kind of settled on never knowing the truth about anything at this point. Its a simple life.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I liked the first Da Vinci Code movie. I haven't read the books. While I get the general principle of the Illuminati, I don't know much about specific actions they have taken or ways in which they are controlling the population. With the lack of evidence in that arena, I assumed it was either embellished reality or not true at all.
I read the book years ago. The plot was very thin and the ending telegraphed very early. Didn't read others and didn't waste time on movies.

DiVinci Code

Familiar might be a bit strong, it's been a couple of decades.

I must have set some sort of galactic record this week

Brilliant timing, you must be a certainty now for Olympic gold!

Illuminati

Anyone who reads a bit should have heard of them elsewhere too, together with Freemasons and Rosicrucians. I think my first encounter was via the Shelleys, Percy and Mary—if I recall correctly, there's quite a connection between Frankenstein and the Illuminati. Umberto Eco also wrote them into one of his works—either The Name of the Rose or Focault's Pendulum… almost definitely the latter which was all about secret societies.

Dan Brown's books—Angels and Demons is in a similar vein—never did anything for me, only read a few chapters in total… and while I saw both movies, they're not on my replay list.

The whole thing has been brought up by journalists rather than scientists. The science community has trashed it but there are basic questions there that could have some validity. It's just a bit weird that a lot of these sites they are refusing to investigate. Not that we had explanations for the pyramids or stone henge anyway.
I tend to think in general that people were just as smart if not smarter than people today, but theres no way to know for sure how they did stuff. A lot of places definitely knew a ton about the stars and astrology a long time ago for sure.

Far as I know, the idea of the illuminati running everything was popularized in the 60's by the Prinicipia Discordia, followed by the Illuminatus! Triliogy.
Anyone who reads a bit should have heard of them elsewhere too, together with Freemasons and Rosicrucians.
I'm talking about the peasantry, the masses, the majority who has never read. For them, it started with The DaVinci Code.

Anyway, the reason I asked was because I made a joke t-shirt design that mocks the book/movie, but I guess no one of graphic shirt-wearing age will have a clue.

It occurred to me before that every time I tell a story the subject of the story is 20 to 25 years ago (Davinci code was early 2000's), and I just realized why that is--kids. I used to do all sorts of stuff outside of work, and then I dropped everything and disappeared for 20 years to raise kids. Wouldn't have it any other way, though. Best 20 years of my life.

I'm talking about the peasantry, the masses, the majority who has never read. For them, it started with The DaVinci Code.

Anyway, the reason I asked was because I made a joke t-shirt design that mocks the book/movie, but I guess no one of graphic shirt-wearing age will have a clue.
For the record I'm a proud peasant.

I dont think it holds a cult status (hah) in the same way as a lot of other media that was popular at the time, but I bet theres people out there who will Google for Da Vinci Code T shirt so you might get some hits.

Anyway it all started with the original Deus Ex really.

Is everyone familiar with the DiVinci Code, or did everything just fade away? For the whippersnappers, that book/movie was the first time most people had ever heard of the Illuminati. That's survived, at least. I have a stupid reason for asking, so for once I'll keep it to myself.

I never read the Dan Brown books but knew about that sort of conspiracy theory long before anyway. I enjoyed reading Chariots of the Gods as a kid.

For the record I'm a proud peasant.

I dont think it holds a cult status (hah) in the same way as a lot of other media that was popular at the time, but I bet theres people out there who will Google for Da Vinci Code T shirt so you might get some hits.

Anyway it all started with the original Deus Ex really.
Ah, yes, the argument for argument's sake. I'll play along.

Deus Ex sold 1 million copies to people who'd already heard of the Illuminati. The movie was attended by over 100 million people, and the book sold many times the number of copies of Deus Ex.

You can't really be arguing that mentions in all forms of media of the Illuminati skyrocketed after Deus Ex. It did, indeed, skyrocket after the movie and continues through today.

Here, this comes from Gemini:
"While the real Illuminati was a minor historical footnote, Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code significantly popularized the concept in the public imagination. The book's fictional portrayal of a powerful Illuminati fueled interest in conspiracy theories and secret societies."

And CoPilot:
The release of The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown in 2003, followed by its film adaptation in 2006, significantly increased public interest in the Illuminati and other secret societies. Here’s how this phenomenon unfolded:
In summary, The Da Vinci Code played a pivotal role in reigniting interest in the Illuminati by presenting an engaging and mysterious narrative that captivated a global audience. The subsequent media coverage, online discussions, and cultural impact ensured that this interest continued to grow and evolve.

If you have any more questions or need further details, feel free to ask! 🌟

1: SparkNotes: The Da Vinci Code Background 2: DW: The Da Vinci Code, Illuminati and Inferno 3: CBN: Angels & Demons: The Dark Path of the Illuminati 4: Rediff: Da Vinci Code follow-up takes on the Illuminati 5: Encyclopedia.com: The Da Vinci Code

Ah, yes, the argument for argument's sake. I'll play along.

Deus Ex sold 1 million copies to people who'd already heard of the Illuminati. The movie was attended by over 100 million people, and the book sold many times the number of copies of Deus Ex.

You can't really be arguing that mentions in all forms of media of the Illuminati skyrocketed after Deus Ex. It did, indeed, skyrocket after the movie and continues through today.

Here, this comes from Gemini:
"While the real Illuminati was a minor historical footnote, Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code significantly popularized the concept in the public imagination. The book's fictional portrayal of a powerful Illuminati fueled interest in conspiracy theories and secret societies."

And CoPilot:
The release of The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown in 2003, followed by its film adaptation in 2006, significantly increased public interest in the Illuminati and other secret societies. Here’s how this phenomenon unfolded:
In summary, The Da Vinci Code played a pivotal role in reigniting interest in the Illuminati by presenting an engaging and mysterious narrative that captivated a global audience. The subsequent media coverage, online discussions, and cultural impact ensured that this interest continued to grow and evolve.

If you have any more questions or need further details, feel free to ask! 🌟

1: SparkNotes: The Da Vinci Code Background 2: DW: The Da Vinci Code, Illuminati and Inferno 3: CBN: Angels & Demons: The Dark Path of the Illuminati 4: Rediff: Da Vinci Code follow-up takes on the Illuminati 5: Encyclopedia.com: The Da Vinci Code
No, the Deus Ex thing was just a joke, because we're video game people. :)

Youre right, I expect Dan Brown did popularize the idea,maybe better to say Macalypse and RA Wilson planted the seed?

There were definitely a lot of Illuminati conspiracies to be found in corners online long before Dan Browns books. The 7 foot lizard people from other dimensions were involved in the twin towers after all.

No, the Deus Ex thing was just a joke, because we're video game people. :)

Youre right, I expect Dan Brown did popularize the idea,maybe better to say Macalypse and RA Wilson planted the seed?

There were definitely a lot of Illuminati conspiracies to be found in corners online long before Dan Browns books. The 7 foot lizard people from other dimensions were involved in the twin towers after all.
It's hard to tell jokes on here because so many debates are ridiculous.

I remembered something weird with Guido when he was a child. I know everyone is probably tired of hearing about my kids, but I'm fascinated by the study recently that said people see the world at different speeds.

So I was thinking about our last gaming session and how he was shooting things before I even realized they were there, and I remembered that when he was small, he used to occasionally ask me why my hands were shaking. I am diabetic, and when my blood sugar gets low, my hands will sometimes shake. Guido was too small to know about this and didn't even know I was diabetic until he was older.

Anyway, he would tell me my hands were shaking, and I would look at them, and they weren't shaking. I just chalked it up to him being a child and maybe he heard about hands shaking somewhere and was just mimicking that. Now I actually think that he could see what was imperceptible to me.

Here's an article about a visual speed study:

By the way, he gets this from my wife. Her employees used to hand her 5 page reports and start to leave, and she would say, "Hold up a second" pull out her red marker and start circling things on the report far faster than anyone but speed readers could read. She'd edit (just circling problems) the whole report in about 15 to 20 seconds and hand it back to them.

It's one of the reasons she's so successful. She can get otherworldly amounts of work done. Unfortunately, she believes everyone else is just lazy :)

Last edited:
people see the world at different speeds

Not just people, every other species has its own unique vision profile.
Top performers:
Eagles f huge distance;
Owls f seeing in dark;
Horse f almost 360° FOV.
Bad performers:
Bats f color;
Rhinos f perception;
Ant f FOV.

I read somewhere that ~10% of human females have a 4th cone in their eyes, which if I recall correctly means they can perceive ~100 times more colors than the rest of us. Some people can hear coil whine, we have 'wine noses', those who can tell Coke from Pepsi and so on.

As a broad generalization, this general variability applies to all senses across all lifeforms.

Am I ridiculous yet? :D

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
It's hard to tell jokes on here because so many debates are ridiculous.

I remembered something weird with Guido when he was a child. I know everyone is probably tired of hearing about my kids, but I'm fascinated by the study recently that said people see the world at different speeds.

So I was thinking about our last gaming session and how he was shooting things before I even realized they were there, and I remembered that when he was small, he used to occasionally ask me why my hands were shaking. I am diabetic, and when my blood sugar gets low, my hands will sometimes shake. Guido was too small to know about this and didn't even know I was diabetic until he was older.

Anyway, he would tell me my hands were shaking, and I would look at them, and they weren't shaking. I just chalked it up to him being a child and maybe he heard about hands shaking somewhere and was just mimicking that. Now I actually think that he could see what was imperceptible to me.

Here's an article about a visual speed study:

By the way, he gets this from my wife. Her employees used to hand her 5 page reports and start to leave, and she would say, "Hold up a second" pull out her red marker and start circling things on the report far faster than anyone but speed readers could read. She'd edit (just circling problems) the whole report in about 15 to 20 seconds and hand it back to them.

It's one of the reasons she's so successful. She can get otherworldly amounts of work done. Unfortunately, she believes everyone else is just lazy :)

It's possible that you focusing on your hands made them shake less too.

That article reminds me of the anecdote of Walt Disney spotting a nude picture slipped into a single frame in a video.

Not just people, every other species has its own unique vision profile.
Top performers:
Eagles f huge distance;
Owls f seeing in dark;
Horse f almost 360° FOV.
Bad performers:
Bats f color;
Rhinos f perception;
Ant f FOV.

I read somewhere that ~10% of human females have a 4th cone in their eyes, which if I recall correctly means they can perceive ~100 times more colors than the rest of us. Some people can hear coil whine, we have 'wine noses', those who can tell Coke from Pepsi and so on.

As a broad generalization, this general variability applies to all senses across all lifeforms.

Am I ridiculous yet? :D
You're always ridiculous, but since you aren't debating anything right now, you are somewhat less ridiculous. But, yes, I'm aware o the differences in the senses, but, personally, I think seeing at different speeds is a lot more interesting than the others. Seeing extra colors is nice. Being able to sniff out a good wine is nice. But this is almost a superpower.

I'm a dull senses person, I think. My wife can smell things I can't smell, hear things I can't hear and taste a grain of celery salt hidden in two pounds of food. I can't tell you how many times she's said, "This has celery in it" (she hates celery), and then I go and look at the product container, and, sure enough, it has either a small amount of celery salt or celery extract.

The bad thing is they don't have to list celery extract. It can be included in "Natural Flavors".

I got left out of all this. All I have is superhuman beauty and virility.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts